"asian thin" vs. "american thin"?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Charlie_Nguyen
    Charlie_Nguyen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We asians just have a smaller body frame Joy. It's a double-edge sword because it may mislead some into thinking cholesterol levels are low. I just use love handles and jelly rolls as a universal indicator of it's time to hit the gym.
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but my gut tells me that part of it is bones. As an Asian-American, I am the opposite of big-boned (does that make me small-boned? I have never heard of it). You can tell this from your wristbones a lot of the time. So with smaller bones, I think I am definitely always going to be on the lower end of the BMI, if not considered slightly "underweight". In America, I am an adult small. Sometimes children's large (that means clothes are cheaper for me - yay! - but harder to find professional clothes that fit properly). But in Japan, I am a medium!
  • Elphaba91
    Elphaba91 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    One of the ladies from work, who is of Chinese origin, recently had a health check. After taking her waist measurement the examiner asked where she was born. When she responded that she'd been born here in Australia the woman said her waist was fine - apparently people born in Australia have to have a waist of less than 80cm to be considered healthy, but if she'd been born in China or Hong Kong she would have to be under 72cm! Regardless of genetics! We were all horrified!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    ^^^Wow!!!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    American culture, too much cheap available food, lack of exercise, sedentary jobs, stress and on and on.
    It's not the culture, the cheap food, the lack of exercise, sedentary jobs or stress. The reason people in Asia are skinnier is the type of food being eaten.

In our carbo-phobic nation, we eat a high fat diet, and too many animal products, period. It's the food, not the environment!!!
  • chasingpavements24
    chasingpavements24 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    American culture, too much cheap available food, lack of exercise, sedentary jobs, stress and on and on.
    It's not the culture, the cheap food, the lack of exercise, sedentary jobs or stress. The reason people in Asia are skinnier is the type of food being eaten.

In our carbo-phobic nation, we eat a high fat diet, and too many animal products, period. It's the food, not the environment!!!

Totally true. That's why countries like France, that used to be typically skinnier, are getting fatter because of the opening of fast food restaurants.
  • nyemu
    nyemu Posts: 43
    Options
    As an African girl who has lived in both Asia and America I fully understand your question. Generally Americans are bigger, diet being the contributing factor. I lived in Shenzhen (China) for over a year and the girls there are so small and delicate that I felt like a giant @ 5'9 143 pounds. I lived in DC for 3 years and was normal/ slender compared to most American girls. You need to work out what weight best suits YOU!

Right now I'm back home in Zimbabwe (africa) and EVERYBODY keeps telling me I need to gain weight (!) I 'm looking at acheiving 134 on the scale. :flowerforyou:
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Really? So part of the answer for some people is more expensive, less available food? It's no wonder the economy sucks right now, people who think like this are in charge.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

The way of life IS part of the culture. When we were in Seoul, people walked constantly. I ate whatever I wanted while we were there (truthfully, mostly Western food because the restaurants near our hotel mostly only had stew type things that are heavy in seafood which I don't eat). But I also walked a ton while there and ended up losing 6 pounds in that 9 days (real pounds, it never came back). So, the culture includes a lot of walking so that definitely shows that culture affects it.
  • Sebastianmommy1972
    Options
    Yes I know what you mean. I am Korean that's why I know what you are talking about lol
    I am 5"2 and was 100 pounds when I was living in Asia and gained 10 pounds in America.
    I am NOT considered very skinny in Asia but people here still tell me how slim I am.. The standard is totally different
  • Sebastianmommy1972
    Options
    Yes.
    I am 5"2 and used to be 100 pounds before moving to America.
    I am 110 now and still considered skinny here.
    lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Let's just say that when an Asian comes to live in America, they adapt to the lifestyle. And that usually means OVER CONSUMPTION of food and drink. Practically every nephew, niece, cousin etc. that I have that came from the Philippines in the past 10 years is fat now compared to how they were. And not by a few pounds, but by 30lbs or more. And they still pretty much cook their own food.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • _shannon92
    _shannon92 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it has nothing to do with them being American. They're your friends. They're probably being nice.

EDIT.. and this post is from 2012. Didn't notice that :p
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread has been revived.........lol
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it is cultural or if it is physiological, but lately i've been having the conflict between what "thin" means in america vs. asia.

According to my non-asian friends, I am thin, and should be happy with my weight. however, when I compare to my naturally thin asian relatives and friends, I definitely need to lose weight. Especially when I visit asia, I feel huge over there!

I am all for being happy with who you are no matter what and just choosing to better yourself, but it doesn't help my motivation when I live in the US and am surrounded by people who make me feel thin, when in all actuality, I am 9 lbs above a healthy bmi and even when I was in the healthy bmi range a few months ago, I still was too heavy.

does anyone else identify with this?

Aesthetic appeal is completely subjective and subject to the culture and the people doing the judging. Health is not subjective. Are you healthy?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread has been revived.........lol

Damn, I really have to learn how not to get suckered into these.