Is running bad for you? Are weights better? Very confused.

Options
13»

Replies

• Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Seems like walking is fine for your goals and you like it. And your dog likes it. So just do it.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    My knees don't agree with running so much, although after having my ACL reconstructed, I'm able to run again, just not nearly at the pace or distance I once did.

I suggest mixing it up a great deal. You can be fit in some regards from running, but the minute you try to do an activity that requires muscle strength/stamina, you will see you are not as fit as you think you might be. Mix in resistance training, body weight exercises, so some stretching type work like yoga (I love Ashtanga yoga myself!). Work on balance, staminia, cardio, and core strength. Doing all of these should transform your body in a great way as well as give you a well rounded level of fitness.

Your body can get used to repetition, so mix things up often. Many of the things done in crossfit type workouts can be done at home with little or no equipment with exception of the rack work & Olymipic lifts. Videos & youtube are a great resource. Google is also your friend.

I enjoy a good walk, but I so love the endorphin high after lifting weights or a very intense crossfit workout.
  • shelleyspots
    Options
    I think your expectation to loose 2 pounds a week being so close to your goal is unrealistic.

Also I think eating below your TDEE will be what makes you loose weight. running and lifting are there to make you healthy and awesome.

^^ This. Your goal should be half a pound a week until you reach goal weight. This will likely give you more calories to eat. Keep exercising.

Wow. I've been working so hard at losing weight that the idea that I'm close to my goal never occurred to me. I've lost almost 70 and have 30 more to go. 30 doesn't seem close. But, ok. I see your point because at first I lost 3-4 pounds a week, then it slowed to 2 pounds. Maybe my expectations are part of the problem! And yes, I've started seriously staying below my calorie limit and the scale is moving again.
  • shelleyspots
    Options
    Brilliant! Everyone's input has been encouraging and educational. I'm going to continue my walking (because I LOVE it) and break into a jog now and again to get my heart rate up (because I LOVE it). I'm going to start going to the gym and do some weight training too. Someone mentioned the endorphin high from lifting. I think I'd like that too! Thanks everyone.
  • Cwyman1
    Cwyman1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Brilliant! Everyone's input has been encouraging and educational. I'm going to continue my walking (because I LOVE it) and break into a jog now and again to get my heart rate up (because I LOVE it). I'm going to start going to the gym and do some weight training too. Someone mentioned the endorphin high from lifting. I think I'd like that too! Thanks everyone.

The "pump" you get after lifting is a GREAT feeling. Personally I love seeing my veins popping out of my forearms.

Best of luck!
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    hmm.. I never got a high from lifting. Running, yes. Cycling, yes. Lifting... I did cross fit and loved it, but never got a high. I never ended a lifting session with that "ohmygodIlovetheplanetandwanttodonothingbutthisfortherestofmylifeeverthisistheawesomest" like I do from distance running. I've ended it with "I am Jell-o Girl, moving is unpossible!", and was happy to do what made me strong, but never a high. Maybe I was doing it wrong.

I agree with others - keep walking, especially with the pup. Dogs are super smart, they know that spending time together outside, investigating the neighborhood is awesome. (Ok, they also think rolling on dead things is awesome, so maybe pick and choose the advice you take from your pup, but in this instance it's solid).

Other than that... experiment! Do what feels good, so long as it's moving. It sounds like you have a pretty healthy idea of what exercise is and how to approach it. Make sure you eat enough if you up your activity significantly, but keep at it, you're doing great!