quinoa???

Options

Replies

• dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I just can't like quinoa. I've tried. I also can't get over the fact that I think it looks like a bowl full of eyeballs.

Good luck! :)

I'm the same way, except for the eyeballs thing. I am trying to like it, but I just can't.
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    It's good... but kind of expensive... I personally generally use pearl barley instead of rice... very low on the glycemic index scale and less calories.

We love it, and get a huge bag for a good price at the local Costco, if that's an option for you.
  • BiggestLittlePurdy
    Options
    i love quinoa. it's great for breakfast in place of oatmeal. add some ginger, dried fruit and soy/rice/cow milk and stevia or honey if you like things sweet. add to veggie soups to add protein. it is a great side with just about any protein, it also makes a great base for a veggie burger.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I just can't like quinoa. I've tried. I also can't get over the fact that I think it looks like a bowl full of eyeballs.

I'm the same way, except for the eyeballs thing. I am trying to like it, but I just can't.

Ditto. :noway:
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    We eat it a lot...I use it in place of rice..make pilaf type dishes with it. It can go sweet or savory. I toss it in soup, use it where you would use meat (like tacos for example) I even toss it cold onto a salad to make it a bit more filling. I cook mine as you would white rice in my rice cooker...super easy to make a bunch at the start of the week and keep it in the fridge. It is a seed not a grain, but acts like a grain. There are even several types..red and black I believe but I have yet to try them.
  • karenf289
    karenf289 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have bought some and intend to use it for a type of risotto dish, hope it turns out ok :smile:
    Price wise it is more expensive than rice or fine oatmeal (in Scotland)
  • debzv
    debzv Posts: 23
    Options
    It's amazing in a slad with warm sweet potato & butternut, lettuce and sweet chilli sauce. You can also add pumpkin seeds and feta.
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options

I've tried to like it too, but to no avail. It's a texture thing for me and reminds me of fish eggs and tapioca. Yuck!
    Another grain you might want to try is bulgar, it is a great rice substitute. There is always some sort of bulgar dish in our fridge and I think it is one of the most underrated "super" foods.
  • daisiecpa
    daisiecpa Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i love quinoa and we use it in any recipe that calls for rice.

i also make an amazing cold quinoa & parsley salad (mock tabbouleh) that i eat with hummus on wasa crackers. it's a lifesaver during hot summers
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Do some research. Quinoa is delicious and stunningly healthy, but it's rise in popularity is hurting native countries. They can't afford to buy it for themselves anymore, and malnutrition rates are rising. They are selling off livestock to turn the fields into quinoa plots. I wish I could find the article, but I'm on the run here. I know I'll get flamed for not linking sources, but if even one person actually finds the research, I'll feel better.
  • Smiling_Sara
    Smiling_Sara Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Cook it like oatmeal, put berries, bananas, peanut butter, flax seeds, etc and have it for breakfast.

mmmmm, will try this!
  • Smiling_Sara
    Smiling_Sara Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Do you really have to "rinse" it the way it says too? Can't you just cook it without the rinse process?
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Do you really have to "rinse" it the way it says too? Can't you just cook it without the rinse process?

Ha good question...someone said to buy it rinsed off already
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Do some research. Quinoa is delicious and stunningly healthy, but it's rise in popularity is hurting native countries. They can't afford to buy it for themselves anymore, and malnutrition rates are rising. They are selling off livestock to turn the fields into quinoa plots. I wish I could find the article, but I'm on the run here. I know I'll get flamed for not linking sources, but if even one person actually finds the research, I'll feel better.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2110890,00.html
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

There is apparently a very bitter coating on the seeds, which is why it is suggested that you rinse it. I never do though - not sure if I buy it pre-rinsed or the bitter taste doesn't bother me. I've also heard that one should toast it in a pan (dry) for a few seconds to "open up" the seeds. I don't do this either (for fear it will stick in the pot). Instead, I usually put less liquid (water or soup broth) and that tends to help it open up.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    has complete amino acids. you can use it as a subsitute for other grains like rice or pasta. i like to put vegetarian chili on top, or mix spaghetti sauce and grated cheese with it. you can add other things to it, veggies, meats, sauces. some people even use it as an oatmeal and make breakfast with it. has good protein too, i enjoy it
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    It is very healthy grain a lot like rice and can be used in many dishes.

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/healthy-recipes/super-foods/whole-grains/quinoa/

911633.jpg

int-quinoa-1.jpg

Zucchini+and+Corn+Taco+Seasoned+Quinoa+Salad+500.jpg

DROOL! yes please!
  • CMMia17
    CMMia17 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Omg, those recipes look delicious! I was just thinking today to look for recipes on allrecipes.com because the stuff is pretty boring by itself. Like brown rice..
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    It is very healthy grain a lot like rice and can be used in many dishes.

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/healthy-recipes/super-foods/whole-grains/quinoa/

911633.jpg

int-quinoa-1.jpg

Zucchini+and+Corn+Taco+Seasoned+Quinoa+Salad+500.jpg

quinoa is not a grain. it is chenopod which is a cousin of the beet and the only vegetable that is a complete protein