Why do people take 5 min breaks?

Options
It's already awkward to do strength training in front of other people at the gym, why do some people seem to take 5 minutes in between sets just sitting around? Don't most people want to exercise and get out of there? It's so annoying :noway:

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Because they can...
    Because they want too...
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i agree... one of the reasons i quit going.. i lift a home now
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    because they smoke!!!
  • SweatSuit
    Options
    Takes longer for them to be able to lift.
  • latinlore21
    Options
    Well there should be a limit for "breaks" or if they want to people watch or socialize then pick a different place to do it :huh:
  • brittuhnay
    brittuhnay Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Because they can...
    Because they want too...

^
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Well there should be a limit for "breaks" or if they want to people watch or socialize then pick a different place to do it :huh:

You will find in life, people don't always do what is most convenient for you..
  • latinlore21
    Options
    True, true! Still annoying :)
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I just don't like when they rest in between sets on the weight machines instead of just getting up and walking around or something.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    So they can say they spent an hour or two at the gym. :laugh:
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I just don't like when they rest in between sets on the weight machines instead of just getting up and walking around or something.

What's your number, so when I go to the gym tomorrow night I can call you and ask you what to do next and how to do it. Sorry I don't work out the right way for you. Maybe someday.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options

If someone is hogging a bench or whatever, I just ask them if I can "work in". They might not be aware that someone is waiting. I've never gotten attitude back.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options

If someone is hogging a bench or whatever, I just ask them if I can "work in". They might not be aware that someone is waiting. I've never gotten attitude back.

Yup. Exactly. Usually they will jump right up.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    When people are lifting heavy weights they need to take breaks between sets in order to strength train and in order to have the strength for the next set. Also, they could have some kind of condition or injury they are dealing with (if they are taking longer breaks than average). If they are in your way, they will move if you ask.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    When people are lifting heavy weights they need to take breaks between sets in order to strength train and in order to have the strength for the next set. Also, they could have some kind of condition or injury they are dealing with (if they are taking longer breaks than average). If they are in your way, they will move if you ask.

This, big time. The more challenging the weight becomes for a lifter, usually the recovery time between sets goes up as well, and you want to make sure you're ready to hit that next set and complete all reps.
  • Sassy922
    Sassy922 Posts: 399 Member
    Options

no.
  • afropoodle
    Options
    Maybe they're training for strength? Powerlifting requires a lot of resting time in between sets. The goal is to finish the working sets so they need to wait until the fatigue wears off from their previous set. But if you're just talking about curlbros on the smith machine, I don't know haha.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    It's already awkward to do strength training in front of other people at the gym, why do some people seem to take 5 minutes in between sets just sitting around? Don't most people want to exercise and get out of there? It's so annoying :noway:
    When you're lifting heavy weight, rest is very important. However, I don't believe the people you see resting, don't fall into this category.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

because they are moving heavy ****, and that requires breaks.
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    If you don't break in between sets, then what's the point of having sets? Why not just do 100 reps? It's so the muscles can rest and allows for some of the lactic acid to be removed as well as more blood into the muscles. If you don't need to rest between sets, then you're not lifting heavy enough.