A friend gave me Quinoa...any suggestions as a recipe???

Options

Replies

• georgie304
    Options
    I love to make tuna salad with pasta...like shells. Wondering how it would be to substitute Quinoa. Hmmm
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    You can actually kill the saponins (the stuff in the coating of quinoa that makes it bitter) by dry-roasting the quinoa in a non-stick pan for a while until they "pop". I do that, then give them a quick rinse and cook as per usual. I find it's quicker for me than rinsing until the water is clear or soaking for a few hours.
  • adbmama
    adbmama Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KelleyRob
    KelleyRob Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Look on Pinterest for quinoa recipes. I've found quite a few that I have tried.:flowerforyou:
  • pinakoala
    Options
    This is by far my favorite quinoa recipe http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2010/05/quinoa-taco-salad.html Just make sure you rinse it well before cooking if you didn't get the pre-rinsed stuff. If you don't rinse well ahead of time, it'll be bitter. If you have a rice cooker, it's incredibly easy to whip up, too. 1 cup of quinoa thrown in to 2 cups of water, pop it in the rice cooker, go, and it'll be so perfectly fluffy once it pops back up! Here's some tips on cooking it. http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2009/01/how-to-cook-quinoa-super-easy-way.html
  • stehmari
    stehmari Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa. yesterday's dinner was quinoa burritos. green peppers, red peppers, onions (from frozen section), taco sauce, light sour cream, cheese, jalapeno slices. quinoa is so versatile and delicious!
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't like the texture of it .. BUT .. I had a meatloaf made with it that was amazing! This is the recipe they used - http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/quinoa-loaf-mushrooms-and-peas .. but you can google it and find one that you would like. Sparkpeople.com has a few also..

I will definitely try this! I have been buying it and generally subbing it for rice, but honestly I like rice so much better. I don't really love couscous or tabbouleh either - like quinoa the little grains just don't seem as savory. BUT - I need to get more creative with it. I am trying to eat it more as a great source of protein.
  • Honey_bearz
    Options
    I made stuffed Peppers with Quinoa.

Basically fried some chicken with garlic and onion, had the quinoa on the boil with some frozen peas, gutted the peppers and put them in the oven.
    I made a sauce with tomatoes and basil, mixed it with the Quinoa, peas, chicken etc, and added some grated cheese. Filled the peppers with it, put them back in the oven for 5 minutes.
  • justkeepswimng
    Options
    People that are gluten free use quinoa all the time. You can grind it into gluten free flour. You can use it to batter chicken or shrimp. It is used in gluten free breads. You can use it as a bed (like rice) below a great meat recipe. You can use it to stuff peppers and things like that. OH THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS!
  • itali614
    itali614 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don't rinse mine and it doesn't taste bad to me. Sorry you had a bad reaction but i haven't EVER rinsed it and eat it all the time!
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I don't rinse mine and it doesn't taste bad to me. Sorry you had a bad reaction but i haven't EVER rinsed it and eat it all the time!

Ok, maybe I'll give it a shot again. I still have the bag sitting in the pantry. I've tried it in a pre-package rice mix and really liked it, with now issues, so I've been hoping it was just a fluke.
  • katiedid1226
    katiedid1226 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I get recipes emailed to me everyday from here: http://www.cookingquinoa.net/
  • robynj88
    robynj88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bumping this for later, some of these recipe ideas sound amazing!
  • HeidibooJB
    HeidibooJB Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I usually cook it with chicken or veg stock, some cilantro, and a couple of cloves of pressed garlic. Depending on what it's served with, I'll change the herb (dill and lemon zest with fish, cumin and cilantro with mexican, etc.)
    I never bother rinsing it, and it's delicious. It would depend on your palate and tolerance for bitterness, I'm sure.
  • junkintrunk5
    junkintrunk5 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Quinoa fried rice

Cooked quinoa
    Olive oil
    2 beaten eggs
    Black pepper
    A few chilli flakes
    A red onion, diced
    Some diced/small vegetables (pepper, celery, carrots, peas, sweetcorn- whatever you like/have at hand)
    Cooked prawns or chicken (optional)

Heat oil, sautee vegetables until soft. Add egg, black pepper and chilli flakes, scramble and break up into small pieces. Add quinoa, stir. Add prawns/chicken if using. Serve with hot sauce or sriracha.

Definitely trying this!! Never thought to use it in that manner....Thank you:)
  • Lambja
    Lambja Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    bump
  • antigravity_x
    antigravity_x Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I try to use it a replacement for rice as often as possible. My daughter hates the texture, so I don't use it as much as I should, though.

My favorite way to use Quinoa is in black bean burgers. Just a can of black beans, 2 eggs, about 2/3 cup of quinoa, some garlic, diced carrots, bread crumbs... and you have amazing, high protein, high iron, low fat, amazing amazing (did I mention amazing?) black bean burgers!
  • kcb1027
    kcb1027 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Love all these recipes - I also add quinoa to steel cut oats when I'm making oatmeal, it gives it a little more flavor and protein.
  • gsbrooks1
    Options
    bump
  • vkmcewen
    vkmcewen Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I make mine in a rice cooker. I tried quinoa sushi rolls yesterday & they were fabulous. The recipe is here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Sj2itAHFs