Worst Christmas Gift Ever

Options

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I was just starting to "date" (if you want to call it that...) this guy around Christmas time. So it was that awkward "should I get him/her something..." I decided to be nice and get him a gift card to a restaurant he liked. Not too "romantic", but thoughtful. I gave him that... He went out in his car and dug around in the trunk and came back it a manicure kit :indifferent:...that I'm fairly certain was opening before.

Now besides the fact that it was a sh!tty/probably used gift, why in the heck did he have that in his trunk???

Edited to say: it wasn't even wrapped. :huh:
  • Ivian_
    Ivian_ Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    A deck of cards and a card trick DVD. :huh:
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    When I was 21 my Grandfathers wife gave me one of those big sleep shirts and it had cat's all over it and said "I'm the cat's pajamas"

Or every year when my husband gets me nothing :cry:
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    As an 8-year-old, I went to my school's holiday fair and ended up buying my brothers some crappy pens.

I never made that mistake again. *bad sister*
  • shrinkinginQualicum
    Options
    Not my gift, but my son's. My ex mother in law bought him a well used Garfield angel stuffie at the 2nd hand store. (She did most of her grandchild gift buying there, her husband was a doctor.) I gave it back to the goodwill at some point during the year, and the next Christmas he got it AGAIN!! I almost had to forgive her at that point. She obviously thought it was really cute! Ick! It was so grubby! She also said because his birthday was so close to Christmas (Jan 5) that there was no point in getting two gifts. He was a little boy for crying out loud!!
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    One year my dad bought my mom a scale. Ha! She was mad at first, but then appreciated it (hey, she was the one who said she needed to lose weight and work out...)

A few years ago the guy I was dating was broke and unemployed. I REALLY wanted a pretty, pearl ring, but he couldn't afford it. So we bought it with my debit card (I paid!) and wrapped it underneath the tree from him. How embarrassing.

My "new" boyfriend of almost 3 years still has yet to buy me a gift for any occasion (christmas, birthday, anniversary). Not even a card!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    As an 8-year-old, I went to my school's holiday fair and ended up buying my brothers some crappy pens.

I always bought my mom those God-awful big cheap sparkly rings at those Santa Shops for Christmas every year... Then I would get mad at her if she wouldn't wear them to church for Christmas service.... Gotta love the woman, she would always go back into her room and put those hideous rings on before we left. :ohwell:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Every year my mom sends me really nice wool and/or cashmere sweaters. I'm allergic to wool. She knows this. I don't understand at all.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Every year my mom sends me really nice wool and/or cashmere sweaters. I'm allergic to wool. She knows this. I don't understand at all.

Have you ever asked her? Maybe she has you confused with a sibling?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    When I first got engaged, MIL got me a book: "Letting Go of Shame." I responded: "You like me! You really like me!" Father in Law was very amused.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    a snow globe with jungle animals inside. so weird. I was 20.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    When I first got engaged, MIL got me a book: "Letting Go of Shame." I responded: "You like me! You really like me!" Father in Law was very amused.

That is hysterical! :laugh: :laugh:
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    My ex FIL gave me d*ck shaped cookie cutters the first Christmas we celebrated together.

Oh my! That is not ok.

Worst present in our family was when I was married to my ex. Our first xmas my mom put deodorant and toothpaste and body wash in his stocking because our family always does that (practical stocking suffers) and he thought she was trying to comment on his hygiene. Also she knows I did all the grocery shopping and HATE mayo of any kind and he always complained there was never any in the house. So that year she wrapped up a costco size jar of miracle whip (his fave) and he really thought she hated him! Lol. In the end, miracle whip was too good for him and he could use the hygiene products.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law always gives me clothes that are two sizes too small. I feel it is her way of telling me that I need to lose weight.

Or that you carry your weight quite well...? Gotta try and be positive on this one!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    A few years ago my mom bought my sister a Magic Bullet and when we looked at it I specifically said I did NOT want one as I'd have no use for it. My sister decided it was too small for her big family and gave it back to my mom. 4 months later my birthday came and I got that exact Magic Bullet...it even still had a piece of the wrapping paper from Christmas.

My mom is notorious for getting random gifts that no one wants and not really putting good thought in to gifts. I love her, but she needs to try a bit harder.

I really can't believe I am the only one who had to read this twice to figure out what kind of Magic Bullet we're talking about here.
  • ddipert
    ddipert Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I got my wife a vacuum for Christmas. In all fairness, it was a Roomba and she'd been looking at it for a while.

Roombas are great gifts for your cat. Mine love to play with it all over the room.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    This is literally the funniest think I've read all day.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    A few years ago my mom bought my sister a Magic Bullet and when we looked at it I specifically said I did NOT want one as I'd have no use for it. My sister decided it was too small for her big family and gave it back to my mom. 4 months later my birthday came and I got that exact Magic Bullet...it even still had a piece of the wrapping paper from Christmas.

My mom is notorious for getting random gifts that no one wants and not really putting good thought in to gifts. I love her, but she needs to try a bit harder.

I really can't believe I am the only one who had to read this twice to figure out what kind of Magic Bullet we're talking about here.

You're not...I just didn't want to admit it... :blushing:
  • Seoul11
    Seoul11 Posts: 138 Member
    Options

I always bought my mom those God-awful big cheap sparkly rings at those Santa Shops for Christmas every year... Then I would get mad at her if she wouldn't wear them to church for Christmas service.... Gotta love the woman, she would always go back into her room and put those hideous rings on before we left. :ohwell:

As I child one year I bought my dad a tie for Christmas. A horribly gaudy tie with giant pink roses all over it. And then I got up really early the next day to make sure he wore it to work. And he did. All day. <3
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    A subscription to 'Guideposts' from my grandma.
    Oh and then my cousins ugly pullover for wrapped up for me, when she realized that was hers she promptly took it back.
    And I think the free book cover from a bank that my grandma wrapped up for me was terrible also.