Does spaghetti squash taste like pasta?

Options
13»

Replies

• brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    It does not taste like other squash..like pumpkin or butternut...

i use it in place of pasta and top with marinara sauce and I love it! It has a slightly nutty flavor to me. The only thing I DONT like about it is it is hard to cut in half to cook!

When I've made this, I baked it in the oven uncut- just have to pierce it several times with a skewer. It's much easier to cut once cooked!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

i use it in place of pasta and top with marinara sauce and I love it! It has a slightly nutty flavor to me. The only thing I DONT like about it is it is hard to cut in half to cook!

Agree about the cutting of the whole squash, that is why I don't make it very often. I like the taste but in my opinion is not worthy the work. I have to ask my husband to cut it for me because the last time that I tried, I almost cut my fingers. I wish I could find spaghetti squash already cut in the market.

I do eat lots of butternut squash (already cubed), and I mix my whole grain pasta, which I don't make too often either, with saute spinach, zucchini, kale, turnip greens, etc.. I use less pasta and I add more veggies.

I would ask the produce section or salad bar department at your local grocery store. They will cut it in half for you real fast!

Thank you, I will try that next time that go to the market for my fresh vegetable fix.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    It depends how much pasta you mix it with.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

^^^THIS^^

You can cook it in the crock pot whole and then cut it in half after it's cooked, scoop out the seeds and then scoop out the flesh. We had it last week with a light alfredo sauce and shredded cooked chicken breast meat. It def. doesn't taste like any other squash I've tasted-it is kinda plain by itself, and takes on the flavor of whatever it is eaten with.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash, I can eat an entire one and not feel badly about myself!

I usually get a head of garlic and roast that on the grill or in the oven until it's cooked (maybe half an hour?) and then I mash a bunch up, mix with a bit of olive oil or peanut oil, and toss with the shreddings. then I add some salt and pepper to taste.
  • tinytasha7
    tinytasha7 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't find it tastes like pasta. It has a much different taste than normal pasta does.

When I use it I normally will mix it with pasta so there is still the pasta taste but you can eat more of it for less calories than if it were all pasta.

It tastes like a plate of veggies when you eat it alone but looks like pasta.

I often do this too....it doesn't have much of a strong taste on it's own but I mix with some wholewheat pasta and top with pasta sauce...cuts down the carbs yet fills you up.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i think it tastes like squash. i love squash too but i do not care for spaghetti squash. FOR ME it's better to just have whole wheat spaghetti than gross spaghetti squash. :)
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    I have never tried this and was looking for it in the store recently. Is it usually near the other pastas?
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is a vegetable so you will find it in the fresh produce section.
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I don't think it tastes at all like pasta, but it's very yummy & versatile.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options

I need a much better knife than I own. I about cut my own hand off trying to saw my way through the last one.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    It takes like a winter squash to me. The one thing to know is to not overcook it. It goes all mushy and you might as well be dealing with any winter squash by then. (Don't ask me how I know as I am glaring at my hubby)
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options

Agree about the cutting of the whole squash, that is why I don't make it very often. I

So don't cut it. I plunk the whole intact spaghetti squash in a pot and boil for 45m - 1hr, depending on size. After boiling it's very soft, just make sure it cools off. Easiest prep ever.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    No. It is much yummier. : )
  • wheldar
    Options
    Someone put a post about how they really liked spaghetti squash and how it tasted really good, but I'm not a big fan of squash, does it taste like squash when you mix it with stuff? Just curious :D

To me it tastes like a summer squash or zucchini. Like most pastas, it depends on what you mix it with. If you add spaghetti sauce, then it resembles spaghetti. I like to make it either savory with salt, pepper, garlic and some lite butter. Or sweet with a bit of honey or agave syrup and some lite butter. With tomato based sauce is also a good one for me. It can also be used to take the place of Chinese noodles in a stir fry with other veggies, lite soy sauce or other Chinese type flavorings. There are so many ways to use a spaghetti squash, someone ought to write a book.