Do everyone a favor.....

Options
Here we go…*****ing rant, valid protest, whining…whatever you want to call it, I think it needs to be addressed nonetheless.

This site relies on the users to input the nutritional data for the items they’re using. It’s a helpful tool in the weight loss and dieting process. So when you input your data…don’t just put “1 potato” or “1 steak” when it asks for the serving size. Rather, (when it’s listed) put what the label or other nutritional data in weight as well. For example 1 Potato (143g) or 1 Steak (4.5 oz).

Most ALL labels will have the weight addressed in their serving size in addition to other data like “1 cookie” based on the nutritional data test results for the ingredients or otherwise. Why do I piss and moan…because…it drives me absolutely nuts when I see someone put “1 Potato” or 1 Steak”…not all potato’s or steaks are created equal…they differ. Your skimpy 2 oz “1 steak” may not be the same as my 32 oz Juicy Rib Eye. Even thought I would love to log it as 200 calories, we all know it’s more like 1400…So knowing the weight helps to maintain an accurate and well calculated diary.

Done with the whining.
:sad: :explode:

Replies

• MiniCooperDeb
    MiniCooperDeb Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    What he said! ^^^
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    32oz, 200 calorie rib eye would be the perfect food. :drinker:
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Darn straight! And don't put down that a serving size is one serving....wtf?
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i agree with you, it's really annoying when people don't also input weights.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    **Applauds**

Well said, sir. Well said. :)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    The reason for "one serving" is because if you use the recipie builder, it asks how many the recipie serves. You say 8, then, when you log it, you say how many servings you had. I know it seems lame, but that's just how it works. I'm just saying I discovered that because it happened to me when I entered a recipie.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I want a MPF food scale.
    It has a wireless connection to upload to mfp directly and a keypad to enter in what you are weighing.
  • Joanitude
    Joanitude Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I want a MPF food scale.
    It has a wireless connection to upload to mfp directly and a keypad to enter in what you are weighing.

I would so buy that! Actually, I'd get two - one for home and one for work.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    so don't use their effing entry, create your own. i never put grams cause a) i don't have a scale and b) i'm not good with numbers, i just know what the eff i am eating and how much, and how many calories. don't be so lazy and create your own entries.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I want a MPF food scale.

That would be awesome!!! Are you listening, MFP moderators? :bigsmile:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    so don't use their effing entry, create your own. i never put grams cause a) i don't have a scale and b) i'm not good with numbers, i just know what the eff i am eating and how much, and how many calories. don't be so lazy and create your own entries.

This is exactly the problem. Everyone creating their own entries and they don't really give a *kitten* or consideration at all that when others search for that, it will come up, and if you're in a hurry, you might us it without realizing its way off. Maybe, try to have a little respect for others and enter accurate information since its a public database.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    The problem I have with putting down those grams...is let's say 1 cup = 85g...
    But when you have only 1/2 cup...it still says 85g after your entry...

To me...it should adjust for that as well and list it as 44.5g....
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Where can one get this 32oz rib eye you speak of? I'm lucky to find a 16oz :P
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    The solution to this in my opinion is using the bar code scanner when you're entering your foods. I KNOW not everyone has a smart phone but for those that DO...this would eliminate a lot of problems.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

All they're asking is to NOT add those "I'm just adding this for me and I don't care that it doesn't include everything" type entries to the database.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    You can do a quick search online.

If you're using MFP and you type in "green grapes", the size value may be 1 cup. If you go on nutritiondata.self.com, it will say "green grapes 1 cup" and it will also tell you the size in grams. So if your 1 cup of grapes is 100 grams and the nutrition date of green grapes is 1 cup/101 grams, divide 100/101. Your serving is like .99 cup of green grapes.

A lot of people don't have food scales and don't have the means to measure their food to the gram. So 1 cup of green grapes is a generalized idea of what they are eating.

I would be lost without my food scale. I weigh every single thing I eat so at the end of the day I know EXACTLY to the decimal of how much I consume.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options

This is exactly the problem. Everyone creating their own entries and they don't really give a *kitten* or consideration at all that when others search for that, it will come up, and if you're in a hurry, you might us it without realizing its way off. Maybe, try to have a little respect for others and enter accurate information since its a public database.

So then create your own entry and don't share it with other MFP members. Problem solved.
  • Torgrills
    Torgrills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Speaking from my own experience with my homemade recipes, the recipe calculator doesn't give you the option to put in serving size, only the number of people the recipe serves. So much of my diary is based on "1 serving, 2 servings" because many of my foods are home cooked including tortillas, bread, etc.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I agree as well. Even though there is a recipe tab here but just the same, we have to put in all the ingredients that are inputted here.

Another reason not to eat back ALL exercise calories.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

So then create your own entry and don't share it with other MFP members. Problem solved.

Isn't telling the person who DOES input things correctly to NOT share their entry more of a problem exasperated than a problem solved? :laugh:

Doesn't it make more sense to urge others to either be more accurate or not click the "share" checkbox, rather than telling those who want to make the database more accurate to keep it to themselves???