Ladies, don't be afraid of lifting heavy (pic)!

Options
I know that the horse has been kicked again and again. There are so many incredibly amazing transformations of ladies who lift heavy, but I still see a lot of women making comments in the forum, "oh, I don't want to get bulky. I just want to tone." I have shared some of my progress with my fellow lifters on my friend's list, but I think I am ready to go public to help debunk the BULKY myth.

Day1toDec.png

That's only a two pound weight loss!

My Fitness Path:
All of 2011 - cardio only and 1200 cal diet (sometimes), lost 10 lbs but got stuck around 130lbs and didn't like the way my body looked. 28% BF
Early 2012 - to prepare for Hawaii, I decided to do some Jillian - 30 Day Shred and low cal diet (WW). Lost a couple pounds but still looked the same and the weight came right back when I went to Hawaii. I returned and did 30 Day Shred again and then Ripped in 30 right after. I started lurking in the forums and got curious about heavy lifting.
May/June 2012 - Picked up New Rules of Lifting for Women. Did Stage 1 and got some pretty good results, but wasn't watching my diet. Went on Vacation for a month and didn't work out or watch my diet. Put on a couple pounds. Restarted NROL4W in late Aug. Stage 2 looked too complicated with too many lifts to remember.
Oct 23 2312 - Got over my fear of the barbell and started Strong Lifts 5x5. I learned more about diet and ignored MFP's lo cal recommendations and I eat at TDEE - 15%, 40% protein and 30/30 carbs and fat. I try to eat pretty "clean" but sometimes go with if it fits in your macros (IIFYM) and I like craft beer.
Today (12/8) - Ending week six and starting week seven this weekend. Holding steady at 125lbs (3 weeks now), waist went from 27.5 to 25.25 inches. Body fat measuring 20.5% this morning.

After reading about Staci the powerlifter, I got inspired. I don't really care about my body weight so much anymore. I care about adding weight to the barbell and lowering my body fat %.

I <3 weights and really believe more women should conquer their fears and go for it!

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Wit woo! Go you! Nice pics!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    That is AWESOME!!
  • adavis59
    adavis59 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! WOW!
  • Momwasix
    Momwasix Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    awesome job.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    You are my inspiration!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    You look fantastic!!!
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Very nice, you look awesome!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Love it! :drinker:
  • BigRich822
    Options
    I can sum that up in one word WOW!!!!!!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Love it.
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Hopefully this post inspires someone to pick up some weights today!

Lorina - Your posts are what got me curious about weights! Thanks so much for spreading the good word!
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    how much weight are you lifting? (pds)
  • dancngdolfn
    dancngdolfn Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting that helped me a lot. I stopped RI30 cause i wanted to drop more pounds and wait to tone but now i am going to get right back into it and add some more. Thanks for being an inspiration :).
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    how much weight are you lifting? (pds)

Not as much as a lot of women on the SL 5x5 forum, but we all start somewhere.
    Squat - Was at 100 but had to deload to focus on form, back up to 95.
    Bench - 70
    Row - 80
    Overhead Press - 60
    Dead lift - 145
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    reading about staci the powerlifter hero -- aka superhero -- was what got me into lifting heavy also. she's my hero.

you look awesome girl! keep it up!!!!
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    TDEE how do I figure that out on a day to day basis?
  • gemmaldavies
    Options
    thats incredible. 2 pounds??? :noway:

well done. u rock that body x
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    amazing!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    You look incredible. Great message to put out there. I still have weight to lose, but plan on starting lifting in the new year to change my shape. X
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!