Ladies, don't be afraid of lifting heavy (pic)!

Options

Replies

• Sambo004
    Sambo004 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    You look so amazing! Well done!
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Fantastic transformation! Congrats! :drinker:
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    A thing of beauty!
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I am looking into starting lifting ASAP and your post inspires me. You look amazing!

Can I ask - do you lift at home, and if so what equipment to have/need? I am a bit lost when it comes to these things. I have been thinking of going to a trainer for a bit to learn what I need, proper form, the right moves but I don't want to spend that extra money if I can manage to figure it out on my own (or with some help from my fellow MFP'ers). :)

I started at home; with a purchase of a 100lb Barbell/Dumbell set I found on Amazon. It got me through NROL4W Stage 1, with some modifications and a few weeks of Strong Lifts 5x5 with the help of my husband to place the loaded barbell on my back for squats. However, progression can be quick with SL and I outgrew my set pretty quickly. I have a gym membership - that I never used, but I finally had to start going if I wanted to progress.

You will need a barbell set, a dumbell set, a bench, and a squat rack to see the best results/safest workouts for Strong Lifts. Some have been able to go without a squat rack by doing different types of squats (other than back squats).

New Rules needs a lot of equipment: weights, swiss ball, cable machines, lat pull down machines, etc. - that was the main reason I quit it after the first stage. It was fine at home with modifications, but if I went to the gym, I felt like a chicken with my head cut off running back and forth to the equipment during the supersets.

As far as form. I read Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength and watched a lot of his videos on youtube and asked questions on the forums.

Hope that helped some.
  • a_vettestingray
    Options
    Thanks for all your kind words, it pushes me more.

I just wanted to get this out there, because if I went by the scale alone, I would be mighty discouraged. A two pound weight loss in 9 months - that would be enough to make anyone give up. But taking pictures and measurements (which literally didn't start even changing until the last 6 weeks) have helped give me the motivation to continue.
  • crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    congratulations you look fantastic. i am a firm believer of picking up heavy things and replacing them as well. it has not always been that way. feel free to creep my profile... and add me if you would like for motivation!!! in the last 5 weeks i have completly revamped the food and made a huge chang to my lifting. there are huge gains on me in just those 5 weeks!!! im getting ready to drop the bulking stage and sstart shredding for a figure competition.. i know the worst is yet to come, but i say BRING IT ON!!!
  • mandypooh2103
    mandypooh2103 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    You look REALLY good! Can't believe there's just 2lb difference in the pics!
  • emilyc92
    emilyc92 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    This is awesome!! You look amazing! I've been doing CrossFit for a while, but I really want to start lifting on my own so I can have more control over my workouts and my results. Your results are so inspiring!
  • Momowink
    Momowink Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Wow... bumping!
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    wow! the definition you've gained is awesome! do you mind me asking how tall you are?
  • a_vettestingray
    Options
    wow! the definition you've gained is awesome! do you mind me asking how tall you are?

5'6.5
  • darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Pretty darn spetacular!! I'm such a fan of the weights - I noticed more changes in a shorter period of time doing stronglifts than I have anything else. My weight hasn't changed but boy, I fit into clothes I haven't in quite some time. You are such an amazing inspiration - glad you're my friend on here :)
  • MariFitBody
    MariFitBody Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You look great WTG!!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    great inspiration.
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Violetta86
    Violetta86 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, you look wonderful! I'm not scared of weights, but need to find the motivaton to do them more often and consistently. Your post is def helping with the motivation piece! Thanks for posting!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    im starting tomorrow!!! thanks for the encouragement! and you look great!
  • WanderingBomb
    WanderingBomb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    daaaaaaaang! look at you girl!
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    YAY! Another photo of PROOF that lifting is good!!

You look amazing! Keep up the dedicated work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!