I hate Pants. Pants are stupid.

Options
That is how I feel today. Yesterday I put on a pair of pants to go to work, size 17. Today I put on a pair of pants to go to work, size 12. How the heck are you supposed to know what size you truly wear if they vary that much?? One of my goals is to get back into single digit pants, but I'm not sure how I'm going to really know that when one company's size 9 is another's size 13.

That's why I special order my jeans from a place that sizes them like men do (waist and inseam). I'm a 31w35l, btw. LOL.

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Even more, two pairs the same size, brand, and style do not necessarily fit the same. I like dresses.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    The problem is you're going from junior sizes (odd numbers) to misses sizes (even numbers). They are cut quite differently. Knowing which one is best for your body type is half the battle.

Junior sizes tend to be for people who are more narrow through the hips and wear a slimmer cut. They're called "juniors" because they were originally meant for teens who hadn't quite filled out yet, but now it's a common cut for women with a lean, narrow build.

Misses/women's are cut fuller through the hips.

That's why you might need a larger size in Juniors but can wear a smaller size in Misses/Women's. If you're curvy, Juniors are going to run small on you.
  • sarahanncarson
    sarahanncarson Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i hate jeans! i'm at one store and a size 12. then i'm at another store and a size 8. then i'm at home and my 9/10's are fine. i don't get it! i feel great at one store and then like crap in another. so annoying!
  • doulanik
    Options
    That's good information! Thanks! I typically wear juniors (odd numbered sizes) but maybe I shouldn't be...I've got wide hips and a round butt. LOL. Even when I was skinny I had a big butt...
    The problem is you're going from junior sizes (odd numbers) to misses sizes (even numbers). They are cut quite differently. Knowing which one is best for your body type is half the battle.

Junior sizes tend to be for people who are more narrow through the hips and wear a slimmer cut. They're called "juniors" because they were originally meant for teens who hadn't quite filled out yet, but now it's a common cut for women with a lean, narrow build.

Misses/women's are cut fuller through the hips.

That's why you might need a larger size in Juniors but can wear a smaller size in Misses/Women's. If you're curvy, Juniors are going to run small on you.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of 13 shorts, a pair of 11, 9, and 5 sizes jeans. Out of all of those, the 11's fit loosely and the 5 fits snugly.

The other two I can't even get up over my hips. Big time WTF.

I always buy juniors. I'm short and petite clothing always assumes you have no hips (to which I most assuredly do.) Plus, women size's clothing always puts the crotch halfway down my knees and the waistband near my ribs. I hate Mom Jeans, so Junior's it is.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Yeah we're all better off wearing nothing
  • SweatSuit
    Options
    Pants are the worst!!!!
  • lindakuj
    Options
    I have a hard time getting clothes. They are always too small or way to large. Pants are awful... I get the fit over my butt, but then the legs are way to baggy. sigh...I hope it gets better as I go on and lose more.
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I hate pants too... I tend to walk around the house in a t-shirt and undies and wear skirts/dresses/leggings as much as possible outside of the house :) When I was a teenager and very self-conscious about my body, I LOATHED jeans shopping. Now it's not as bad, but I'm so proud of my new body/legs that I'd much rather wear something that shows them off better..so either no pants at all or leggings :P
  • kbitzonefour
    kbitzonefour Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Wish they can just switch to "guy" measurements so they'll make some fking sense.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I HAAATE pants!
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Not only do the sizes vary from store to store.. but I find that my size varies from body part to body part. I have a devil of a time finding pants that flatter my thunder thighs without gapping at the waist.

So I love skirts and dresses. Skirts and dresses are AWESOME. I find that it's much easier to wear skirts and dresses that hit at the waist, then I don't have to worry about pesky sizing so much :)
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    The 17 is a Juniors Size, the 12 a womans size. They are about equal.

I wear a 4 in womens, a 7 in Juniors. XSmall/Small in womens, Medium/Large in Juniors. Juniors are made with less hip room and since I'm hippy the pants don't work well - I look and feel better in womens sizing. And since I'm 34 I feel like I'm a bit too old for Juniors clothes that tend to aim for the 15-25 age range. I know many women in the 30-40 age range that still shop in Juniors but it's not for me.
  • torshi
    torshi Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Agreed! One store that I always have a problem is Old Navy: I can wear their 14,16, and 18s what messed me up with them is all those fits so it's a nightmare looking for pants.

I feel like I need to start wearing skits and dresses.
  • today6212
    today6212 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i hate pants, i miss my dresses!! its so cold in the winter im stuck in jeans and i hate it
  • reden324
    Options
    Its amazing how some stores can make you feel insanely huge and skinny at the same time.. I went into forever 21 yesterday and there clothes vary so much
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Clothes are so funny that way. I bought a size 14 dress a few months ago that I wore to a wedding last weekend - perfect fit! For the rehearsal dinner, I borrowed a dress that I actually bought about ten years ago. It was a size 16 and I gave it to my mother in law a few years back before I found MFP - because I was convinced I would never wear that size again. The size 16 looked great, but definitely required under-garmets for a perfect fit.

Rather than setting a clothing size as a goal, maybe set a measurement goal or body fat percentage goal. Those don't change!
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Wish they can just switch to "guy" measurements so they'll make some fking sense.

Seriously!
  • JenPentelei
    JenPentelei Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    size "17"'s are misses or teen size, anything that is an even number is womens. and yes a 12 womens is roughly close to a 17 teen. And a curvy cut will fit completely diffwrent than a straight cut in the same size. Love ann taylor! all their pants are labeled by cut. I am a marisa while my friend who is the same size as me is a julie. but we have two different body types. go by cut not size
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I like pants. I am wearing some RIGHT NOW!