What do you all think?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Lol, OP insists stating that because the program has been around forever that it's not a scam. :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Lol, OP insists stating that because the program has been around forever that it's not a scam. :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member

and the reason they have been around forever is that there is always some desparate soul willing to give it a try, but it teaches them nothing about changing their eating habits for the rest of their life, so when they eat normally, and gain weight, they end up back on the meal replacements as it's the only thing that think "works" for them. a Vicious circle.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    This is not about my program this is about meal replacements in general!! k and its not a myth it does speed up your metab its been proved ask around im sure you can find something!

How exactly does it speed up your metabolism?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Interesting quote I found about Medifast, which is the meal replacement shake you are on

"In September 2012, Medifast's subsidiary, Jason Pharmaceuticals, paid a $3.7 million USD civil penalty as part of a consent decree with the United States Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission. The government agencies said that advertisements for the "Medifast 5 & 1 Plan" low-calorie diet told consumers they could "lose up to 2-5 pounds per week.", and that these weight-loss claims did not have a reasonable basis of support in scientific evidence."

Sooooooooo, what was that about speeding up your metabolism?
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I dont drink meal replacements but I do drink energy drinks when I am running late for lunch at work. (Some people try dying when it is lunch time; I am a nurse).
    I think it is way better to eat real food but if it comes down to nothing or something, I go with something.
  • PamelaKuz
    PamelaKuz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have a friendly observation. I've been loitering around these message boards for 3 months, and I've seen you post several times about these fad diets. With eating a little better, eating a little less, and exercising a little more, I've already lost almost 20lbs. Why don't you try just following what mfp sets up for you? According to your counter you haven't lost anything, I'll bet you could have been a lot closer to your goal by now if you would just start with the basics instead of focusing on all of these quick fix methods.

Edit- I forgot to quote. This was directed to the OP.
  • SweatSuit
    Options
    Calories in.. Calories out.. Whatever works best for you! Who cares?
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    naa they have side effects, seems like it caused you to have an acute case of duckface. see a doctor and eat real food. case closed.
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    What is the point of meal replacement? You going to eat like this the rest of your life? I can see protein shakes, balance bars, etc. as handy things to grab quickly, but as a lifestyle choice daily? Maybe for a time have a shake to replace a meal daily to reach a goal, but eventually one has to learn to eat correctly or the weight just comes back on.

Think I did weight loss clinic for a couple months. That was a total waste of $$$. They didn't do meal replacement but super low cal, etc. MFP or caloriecount at about.com would have been much more effective and CHEAPER.

I am responsible for what I choose to eat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Calories in.. Calories out.. Whatever works best for you! Who cares?
    Inaccurate advice on a public board where people who are trying to lose weight smartly do.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Okay Their is more types of meal replacements than just shakes theirs bars brownies ect, I get what you are all trying to say But really im going to do it weither you like it or not, Iv seen it change so many lifes for the better, i dont think its a scam or anything like that i think its a lifestyle change and it teaches you healthy habbits after you are done and have lost all your weight their is a maintenance plan they just dont leave you out to dry and they teach you healthy habbits for life so thanks everyone for your comments!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I don't call my protein shakes and bars meal replacements, they are meals in their own right and supplements to my protein requirements...that is all...a shake being 178 to 356 cals (one or two scoops) and a bar being 200 - 300 cals...(normal to large sized)
  • CarolinaMoon76
    Options
    Okay Their is more types of meal replacements than just shakes theirs bars brownies ect, I get what you are all trying to say But really im going to do it weither you like it or not, Iv seen it change so many lifes for the better, i dont think its a scam or anything like that i think its a lifestyle change and it teaches you healthy habbits after you are done and have lost all your weight their is a maintenance plan they just dont leave you out to dry and they teach you healthy habbits for life so thanks everyone for your comments!

Go for it seeing as you plan to anyway - but as someone who did do it I can assure you that it doesn't always work. Sure I lost weight but its not sustainable long term, it doesn't teach you how to eat real food in a healthy way and the weight does come back - with its pals. Oh and the bars etc are actually quite nasty.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it, mostly because it's expensive.

But often times I do drink protein shakes and smoothies (both I blend myself) in place of meals. It's not to lose weight or anything, I just love drinking my calories for some reason.

If you blended your own, I'm sure more people on here would be more open.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't either. I love food too much.

^^ THIS!

The only time I would do a meal replacement is if I am in a big hurry for some reason and just didn't have time to eat. But even then, I go for the protein bars instead of the shake. They are quicker and you still get to eat.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    naa they have side effects, seems like it caused you to have an acute case of duckface. see a doctor and eat real food. case closed.

Duck_Hunting_the_Wife_540.jpg
  • ssl444
    ssl444 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My belief is that if you use meal replacements - yes they are lower in calories but when you eventually introduce meals again the weight you have lost you will just put back on, you should aim to get your protein from food sources and then use protein shakes and bars to help your muscle recovery.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

So why did you post the question?

And I am not sure what good habits it teaches you.
  • tabithaskechak
    Options
    I use meal replacement bars as snacks sometimes, but not as like breakfast lunch or dinner. (Well I have for breakfast when running late)
  • Sincere24
    Sincere24 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have a friendly observation. I've been loitering around these message boards for 3 months, and I've seen you post several times about these fad diets. With eating a little better, eating a little less, and exercising a little more, I've already lost almost 20lbs. Why don't you try just following what mfp sets up for you? According to your counter you haven't lost anything, I'll bet you could have been a lot closer to your goal by now if you would just start with the basics instead of focusing on all of these quick fix methods.

Edit- I forgot to quote. This was directed to the OP.

oh snap... good advice!