Mio?

Options

Replies

• anzi888
    anzi888 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Mio's key ingredient is propylene glycol, which is closely related to a key ingredient in anti-freeze. Not sure why you would really want to put this into your body.

Hydrogen and Oxygen are highly flammable. H2O is closely related to both Hydrogen and Oxygen. Maybe I shouldn't put it in my body!? Could I burst into flames because I drank some water? ... or because I breathe oxygen?!

I get your point, I just think your argument doesn't make sense. There are A LOT of chemicals that change completely by adding one atom.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    Mio's key ingredient is propylene glycol, which is closely related to a key ingredient in anti-freeze. Not sure why you would really want to put this into your body.

Hydrogen and Oxygen are highly flammable. H2O is closely related to both Hydrogen and Oxygen. Maybe I shouldn't put it in my body!? Could I burst into flames because I drank some water? ... or because I breathe oxygen?!

I get your point, I just think your argument doesn't make sense. There are A LOT of chemicals that change completely by adding one atom.

****, and your body makes HCl!! I heard that **** can eat metal up.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Not only that - but guess what other key ingredient is in anti-freeze?

Water.

AAAGGHGGGGHHHGGHGHGHGHGHGHGH!!!!!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Mmmm. LOVE this poison in my sprite zero.... OP, you should try it.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

The 3rd ingredient listed on there, Propylene glycol, is anti-freeze. And that's why I don't use it anymore.

anti-freeze is really expensive. Can I just squirt Mio into my car?
  • megandme120
    megandme120 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Interesting...not sure about it, but Mio helps my Fiance drink water-he hates plain water. I wonder, if it does change water, if it's worse to not drink water at all, or to drink it with Mio in it.

Look at those ingredients, many of them were not around in Paleolithic times, so our body never adapted to being able to process them. So drink plain water

mio-copy.jpg

Propylene Glycol is a sick chemical too and it's at the top of the ingredient list. Just drink water or add some fruit for flavor.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/substances/toxsubstance.asp?toxid=240
  • megandme120
    megandme120 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Oops! I was too late with this info. Just saw all the other Propylene Glycol/anti-freeze comments.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Okay, my view is everything in moderation. Pros and cons. It makes you drink more water, that is a pro. It may make you more hungry because of false brain triggers set off by the artificial sweeteners, con. It has no calories, pro. It does contain chemicals, con.

So, do vitamins, most prescriptions, most cough syrups and other everyday pain relievers that you probably take like tylenol and alleve, it is also often inyour make up and can even be in your deoderant. So, unless you're going back to the cave man days and going to be totally paleo and NOTHING shall pass your lips but pure organic food and plain water... and you're going to stink and not use any modern hygenic products... I say, get over it. There will be chemicals in your life. Enjoy it, but use in moderation. I started to use too much of it and made myself back off to more plain water... but I do enjoy a few squeezes here and there.

As for the antifreeze comments, "The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified propylene glycol as an additive that is "generally recognized as safe" for use in food. It is used to absorb extra water and maintain moisture in certain medicines, cosmetics, or food products. It is a solvent for food colors and flavors." And that is per the CDC directly. http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxfaqs/tf.asp?id=1121&tid=240

I agree with much of this. Everything we come into contact with is laden with chemicals that are bad for us. For several years I refused to use sunscreen because I had read that they could possibly be more of the reason for skin cancer then the sun. After a couple of long days in the sun and the need for sunburn sprays I realized I was being dumb. Either I use chemical laden sunscreens and prevent a bad burn or I use a chemical laden sunburn spray after I've been burned.
  • matt3695
    Options
    Interesting...not sure about it, but Mio helps my Fiance drink water-he hates plain water. I wonder, if it does change water, if it's worse to not drink water at all, or to drink it with Mio in it.

Look at those ingredients, many of them were not around in Paleolithic times, so our body never adapted to being able to process them. So drink plain water

mio-copy.jpg

Propylene Glycol is a sick chemical too and it's at the top of the ingredient list. Just drink water or add some fruit for flavor.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/substances/toxsubstance.asp?toxid=240
    So your right in that fact that food companies put it in their products to make them not freeze during transport and absorb extra water. Also, your website says its not a carcinogen. It is completely different from the anti freeze that you put in your car and if ingested forms crystals in your kidneys that rips them to shreds. Chemicals are everywhere just because something is close to a chemical that is terrible for you does not mean it is also bad for you.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    ~hums Joe Jackson~

When it comes down to it, the healthiest thing for us to drink is water, but if you drink too much of it you can die.

So basically, if you like it, drink it in moderation.

If you don't want chemicals in your body, don't put them there.

I happen to be a fan of chemicals, I have to take a small handful of them daily to make it possible for me to interact with the rest of society. So Mio is pretty low on my list of things to worry about.
  • Rachelle1016
    Options
    Okay, my view is everything in moderation. Pros and cons. It makes you drink more water, that is a pro. It may make you more hungry because of false brain triggers set off by the artificial sweeteners, con. It has no calories, pro. It does contain chemicals, con.

So, do vitamins, most prescriptions, most cough syrups and other everyday pain relievers that you probably take like tylenol and alleve, it is also often inyour make up and can even be in your deoderant. So, unless you're going back to the cave man days and going to be totally paleo and NOTHING shall pass your lips but pure organic food and plain water... and you're going to stink and not use any modern hygenic products... I say, get over it. There will be chemicals in your life. Enjoy it, but use in moderation. I started to use too much of it and made myself back off to more plain water... but I do enjoy a few squeezes here and there.

As for the antifreeze comments, "The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified propylene glycol as an additive that is "generally recognized as safe" for use in food. It is used to absorb extra water and maintain moisture in certain medicines, cosmetics, or food products. It is a solvent for food colors and flavors." And that is per the CDC directly. http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxfaqs/tf.asp?id=1121&tid=240

Thanks for a good answer that doesn't make me want to kill myself because I ate a CHEMICAL OH MY GAWD.
  • Rachelle1016
    Options
    While I do appreciate all the posts, just a quick reminder...arsenic is completely natural, too. So just because something is natural, doesn't mean it's good for you. I'll go with the most realistic answer here and use it in moderation. Thank you everyone!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    While I do appreciate all the posts, just a quick reminder...arsenic is completely natural, too. So just because something is natural, doesn't mean it's good for you. I'll go with the most realistic answer here and use it in moderation. Thank you everyone!
    Even arsenic is OK in small doses.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Tell that to Napoleon Bonaparte. :wink:
  • AmelieJG
    Options

I never eat anything that is closely related to anything bad
    haha like say H2O which is closely related to H2O2 ??? haha
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i use mio and dasani flavor drops in every single water cup i put into my body. i dont think there is nothing wrong with it nor the ingredients in it. i am 15 weeks high pregnancy and my doc says if that is how i can get my water intake then do it. nothing is harming me. i dont get more hungry from using it. i actually fill myself up on water + mio or whatever. everyone has all there opinions and i value them but for me personally if my doc says its harmless i trust that.
    have a great day!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I would but he speaks French.
  • Rachelle1016
    Options

I would but he speaks French.

Love all of this. ^
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Just so you know the main ingredient in anti freeze is ethylene glycol not propylene glycol

Propylene glycol

Propylene glycol
    Propylene glycol, on the other hand, is considerably less toxic than ethylene glycol and may be labeled as "non-toxic antifreeze". It is used as antifreeze where ethylene glycol would be inappropriate, such as in food-processing systems or in water pipes in homes where incidental ingestion may be possible. As confirmation of its relative non-toxicity, the FDA allows propylene glycol to be added to a large number of processed foods, including ice cream, frozen custard, and baked goods.
    Propylene glycol oxidizes when exposed to air and heat, forming lactic acid.[8][9] If not properly inhibited, this fluid can be very corrosive,[citation needed] so pH buffering agents are often added to propylene glycol, to prevent acidic corrosion of metal components.
    Besides cooling system corrosion, biological fouling also occurs. Once bacterial slime starts to grow, the corrosion rate of the system increases. Maintenance of systems using glycol solution includes regular monitoring of freeze protection, pH, specific gravity, inhibitor level, color, and biological contamination. Propylene glycol should be replaced when it turns a reddish color.[\b]
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I prefer not to put additional chemicals in my water ....

Plain filtered tap water for me : )

If you must have some type of flavor - how about putting fruit in a pitcher with your water and let the flavors infuse ?