Robot fear = big effin' 10
  • reallifealien
    reallifealien Posts: 128 Member
    Options

EAT ALL THE THINGS
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am at a healthy 8.5 with a bit of rationalization keeping me from an 11.

Keep thinking the holidays don't go on forever and the longer I hold off on baking the better it is for me...and my diary count!

ZERO

Don't be afraid of food. It isn't healthy.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Two fears:
    1/ My son might get to the roast gammon before me. (He's faster but I'm meaner...)
    2/ When I offer people my vintage port they might accept.

I had to Google gammon. That sounds worth fighting for!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    0 - food is not your enemy.

Zombies, on the other hand. That's a 9 for me.

Food is just food. It's not going to try to eat your brains. Or if it does you have bigger problems than Christmas. :)
  • rlshopp6
    rlshopp6 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm at a 1. Partly because I have two years of experience at eating in a healthy manner. But it's a 1 because I have 36 years experience eating in an unhealthy manner. And for those who said Christmas is just the one day, that is so not my experience. At work there are chocolates and cookies and other "Christmas" treats every day for a month. There are special parties in advance, as well as the day of Christmas. So if it were truly just one day I'd be fine, and have no fear. And I don't really fear it the other days, I'm just being very deliberate in what I do choose to eat, keeping it within my total calorie goal, and many days avoiding it. I love to bake, but only do so when I know I can take the majority of what I baked somewhere else and leave it, otherwise when it's accessible at home I would have too much.

My biggest helps are knowing that even if I don't eat something today, this is probably not the last opportunity of my life to eat that food. And two, if I do have something sweet, I tend to keep it at 3 bites or less so that I truly enjoy it, but it doesn't become the majority of my daily calories.

Merry Christmas!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I stopped counting calories. I was starting to fear and hate the one thing I'd always loved: food. When my boyfriend would ask me out to dinner I'd spend ALL DAY thinking "oh god what am I gonna get, I want a burger but that's wayyy to many calories... maybe if I only eat half the bun... and no fries... no I should just get a salad with no dressing that's safer... maybe I should just not eat all day and save all my calories for dinner... then I can have the burger.... no the burger isn't really worth it..." etc etc!

Personally I don't think that kind of thinking is EVER healthy, and it's sad because I know sooo many people here are going to be thinking like that over the holidays. I mean, it's the holidays! We're supposed to have fun and enjoy ourselves, relax, and enjoy time with friends and family (yes, often with food involved)! I think it's great that we're all trying to get healthier, but don't let it control your life. If it is, it has become a true obsession and that's not healthy. Take a break, put things in perspective. I have stopped counting calories but I have kept working out and I'm still losing weight just fine, because I make healthier choices in my every day life now. You don't have to obsess over every single calorie to be healthy.

Sorry for the rant, I just want everyone to have a good holiday and it's sad to think of people not enjoying themselves because they're so "afraid" of food or worried they'll gain weight :( Have a great holiday season everyone! Have FUN!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    um....

• Kellyeee2013
    Options
    "8"
    I am new to this and am still learning. When I overeat I have a hard time getting it under control again. Christmas for me means being on the road a lot and going into other people's homes and eating whatever they are offering...
    So yes, this time of year is a bit scary when I am new to making a life style change.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Maybe a 2. I haven't had anything yet, apart from some chocolate coins, and I don't intend on going crazy anyway. The only thing that worries me is if someone buys us a huge tin of chocolates, or we go round to someone's house and they have some. Once I have one I always want another.....and another!

I plan on baking some xmas cupcakes, and that's it. Oh, and I'll probably buy some Baileys to drink.
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    I can totally understand this sentiment because the only time of year when you have access to unhealthy food is xmas...

...wait, you have a car?

...and their's plenty of restaurants that are open in the other 11 months of the year near you?

...and they serve tasty, high calorie foods?

***MIND BLOWN***

Christmas is different if you are on the road a lot and staying with other people in their homes and either eating what they offer or eating out somewhere else. Big difference. I can just not go to restaurants and eat healthy at home the rest of the time.

I am travelling 8 hours by car just one way and staying with other people for 1-2 weeks. Big diff.
  • XandyNoCandy
    XandyNoCandy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    While it IS true that food is NOT your enemy, it is also NOT true that the "Christmas" season is only two days (in America anyway). The season starts with Thanksgiving Day and ends on New Year's Day. Every day and place is an excuse to "generously share" indulgent food - at the office, school, and all of the additional gatherings friends have. :frown:

The very STRUCTURE of our CULTURE is built not only on indulgent food but also on keeping us from working it off sensibly. Think about it - our streets are made for cars, not pedestrians, our jobs are made for sitting not moving, our jobs are so alientated from productivity that we substitute food at every opportunity to fill the emptiness, our food is not for growing and picking but buying at a supermarket. Incidentally, what IS so SUPER about the supermarket? :grumble: To imply that it only takes willpower to keep healthy is not only delusional, it's clueless. Okay, rant done. :wink:

I rate this Holiday's seasonal food barrage as as 12!!! If I didn't have my MFP friends, I'd be afraid, very afraid!! As it is, now it only gives me a 3 out of 10 shivers. :tongue:

-XandyNoCandy
  • jprow08
    jprow08 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good Point!, I am still a little nervous about ruining my progress. :frown:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Really depends on who's doing the cooking.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Zero- it's one day. I'm not even planning on logging anything that day, same strategy as Thanksgiving.
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I fear Christmas RUM balls. they make my clothes fall off..... LOL, seriously though. I plan on having a few bites ONLY of all the things I enjoy so I dont deprive myself. ALSO, drink lots of water and ge a great workout in before and a nice long walk after. I love CHristmas
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    Good Point!, I am still a little nervous about ruining my progress. :frown:

Exactly. THANK YOU. And "Christmas" can be a 2-3 week thing for some people. And SOME people do not want to ruin their progress. Does it mean we will NOT enjoy xmas? No. It just means there are risks for some of us. Especially those travelling and staying with others in an unpredictable environment (i.e.: food, places to work out, schedule, etc). For those of us trying to stay on track it can feel intimidating. One day of feasting would not be a huge issue... for me it is a 2 week holiday.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    None. I'm Italian so we celebrate the Vigil...or feast of the seven fishes. Christmas Eve/Day are usually loaded with roasts and hams. I usually just pound the proteins.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Christmas is different if you are on the road a lot and staying with other people in their homes and either eating what they offer or eating out somewhere else. Big difference. I can just not go to restaurants and eat healthy at home the rest of the time.

I am travelling 8 hours by car just one way and staying with other people for 1-2 weeks. Big diff.

And if you want to eat healthy on the road you can do that too. They sell salads at restaurants, you can get lemon and no dressing and be bored as hell while others eat cake and other yummy stuff. I agree that it is harder to eat healthier on the road, but it's certainly not impossible. The reality is junk food is just as available at home as it is on the road, and if you can make the choice to eat healthier at home you can do the same on the road.

The alternative, what I choose to do, is to accept that you'll be a bit off during the holidays and account for it at other times. It's what most folks do, and you can too if you so choose.

There is NO reason to be 'afraid of food'.
  • babymamahowell
    Options
    I am just trying to do things in moderation. I have manged to loose between Thanksgiving to now and plan to continue to work out 5-6 days a week. So even if I maintain I will be happy. A little indulgence does not out weigh all the hard work I've done.