18 months ago today I was paralyzed. ---Pics.---

Options

Replies

• Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Holy Hannah-- beautiful story-- amazing, amazing strength in you, dear woman.

God bless you!

Thank you for reminding us all what is inside us.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    wow... i read a lot of stories on here but none make me almost cry... congrats you're truly amazing!
  • dingo150
    Options
    How fantastic that you lost all that weight and have regained your life back! You are an inspiration!
  • happypath101
    Options
    WOW WOW WOW! I can't believe your abs. It doesn't look like had 3 kids - never mind that you used to weigh 270. You are completely inspirational!
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • Tamika_84
    Tamika_84 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing. This is truley amazing and inspirational!
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Thank You for posting this. It means alot to me. I'm afraid I may be in the chair next. God Bless the hospital and doctors who helped you... And God Bless you, for doing what you needed to do, to get you where you are today. Congradulations on your 1 Year Anniversary. And, I'm so proud of you.. Your a fighter. I respect you for that. :smile:
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting.. very inspirational and a good thing to read when I have nothing stopping me from moving !

Congrats on your 18 months on a better lifestyle.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I think you are amazing. And SO inspirational...

Congratulations and keep it up!
  • Redladystl
    Redladystl Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    STANDING OVATION!!! Thank you for sharing your story. You look amazing and Congrats. :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :wink:
  • DesireeBoils
    Options
    OMG you look amazing and you could have totally given up but you didn't and kept going, you should be sooooo proud of yourself, I'm proud of you and I don't even know you!
  • KristenRidl
    KristenRidl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You are such an incredible woman!! Thank you so much for posting your story. Completely awe-inspiring. CONGRATS on everything!! You have made my day.
  • Dawners98
    Dawners98 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Amazing and awe inspiring! Keep living your life!! :drinker:
  • eazieske
    eazieske Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I THINK YOU ARE AN AMAZING WOMEN STARTING FROM NOT WALKING AT ALL TO RUNNING IN 18 MONTHS THATS A GREAT STORY SORRY ABOUT YOU GETTING SURGERY BUT THERE WAS A GREAT OUT COME FROM THIS ... YOUR WONDERFUL!!!!!
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Today is a big day for me. It was 18 months ago today, June 11, 2011, that I was rushed to the ER in an ambulance because I had lost all feeling below the waist. I was transferred to a bigger city hospital where I had emergency spinal surgery - laminectomy, discectomy, and decompression of my spinal cord. Diagnosis was cauda equina syndrome due to a severely herniated disc.

When I woke up I could not move my legs. I could not stand or walk. I was in a wheelchair. For a few weeks I lived at a rehab hospital to regain strength as I sloooowly regained sensation in my legs. It's not all fully back - to this day I'm still numb down the back of my right leg and the bottom of my right foot. Chances are I'll never get that feeling back.

At my discharge appointment with the neurosurgeon on August 17, 2011, he told me to prevent this from happening again, that I needed to lose weight. I took his advice to heart.

I've posted on here before but I wanted to again because today is a big milestone for me. It's been a year and a half. It seems like so long ago but 18 months really isn't that long. It's been 18 months of the hardest work of my life.

18 months ago when I had this injury, I weighed 270 pounds. Now I don't. I weigh about 161-165.

18 months ago when I had this injury, I couldn't walk. Now I can. And I can RUN 12 miles at a shot.

HOW? MyFitnessPal and exercise. That's it. Being accountable for what I eat, and moving my body more.

I'm 5'8" and have three kids, who were 9 months, 2.5 years, and 5 years old at the time of my injury.

Before:
    IMG_4778-1.jpg

IMG_4780-2.jpg

In the hospital
    IMG_5009-1.jpg

IMG_4996-1.jpg

Hours of daily therapy in the rehab hospital
    IMG_5135-1.jpg

IMG_5011-1.jpg

IMG_5020-3.jpg

About a week after surgery was the first time I could feel my toes. It was truly amazing. This is the morning I woke up and could feel the fabric of my sock brushing on my toes.
    IMG_4997-2.jpg

After a few weeks I was out of the wheelchair and using a walker and I was discharged home. I had physical and occupational therapists visiting my house 4-5x/week for about 6 weeks.
    IMG_5141-3.jpg

Then I graduated to a cane the next month. This is the only picture I can find of my cane. That's my youngest daughter.
    IMG_5352.jpg

A month after that my surgeon told me to lose weight. So I started walking daily and joined MFP that very day.

Old pants (size 24) vs new pants (size medium)
    pants-1.jpg

Now I run a lot.
    photo-118-1.jpg

And wear a size 8/10
    photo-92.jpg20120827.jpg

If I could do it, you can too. Get up and move. Start logging your nutrition. Be accountable to yourself. You're worth it.

Thanks for letting me share.

What an amazing achievement Hun, you look fantastic and it must of been very scary for you in the hospital but I'm glad to see you fit, healthy and full of life.

You truly are an inspiration to us all xxxx
  • hydelaa
    hydelaa Posts: 184
    Options
    SO AMAZING!! :)
  • Shekinah2013
    Shekinah2013 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wow! Impressive! U look like u were always lean and fit! No loose skin at all! Thx for the inspiration!
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    absolutely incredible - congratulations on all of your hard work, what an amazing journey!!! :flowerforyou:
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    wow...chills. awesome <3
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    WOW! I am speechless. The only word that comes to mind is phenomenal. Thanks so much for sharing! :heart:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!