Dumbbell and Toned Arms?

Options
Will 8lB dumbbells build up lots of muscle?
I have 88 pounds to lose but I use them and a resistance band everytime I workout, I just want toned arms and not really super muscular arms in the end.
And since my arms are currently fat is there a point in using them or should I wait until I lose a couple pounds?

Thanks!

Replies

• shelbiejo
    shelbiejo Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I use 8lbs for Jillian Micheal workouts and YouTube ones that I do...I consider them my "light weight workouts." I try to lift heavy three times a week though and I use different weights depending on the exercises so that I can only do 5x5's. It is working to get my arm looking better!
  • ILoveMyLifeee
    Options
    But they will not make my arms super muscular correct?
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    More than just moving your arm with no resistance but not a huge amount.
    I have 88 pounds to lose but I use them and a resistance band everytime I workout, I just want toned arms and not really super muscular arms in the end.
    Ha. Biggest misconception there is. Women have a really hard time gaining upper body muscle. Now, what exactly are toned arms? Arms that don't jiggle or wave back at you when you wave? What on your arm is solid and what is soft and jiggly? Muscle and fat of course. The muscle is the good stuff that looks nice and the fat is the soft flabby stuff with little to no form. You want as much muscle as you can get. It's hard to put on so start now.
    And since my arms are currently fat is there a point in using them or should I wait until I lose a couple pounds?
    Start now. Exercising your muscles lets your body know that it shouldn't use the muscle for calories and helps hold on to what you have while you lose weight. Show your body that the muscle is necessary by using it, otherwise you might find that you make your goal weight and don't have the shape or figure you want.

You won't fully understand till you get there but the weight on a scale is not a proper fitness goal. Sure you don't want to be 50 pounds over weight but the closer you get to your goal the more you'll appreciate the lean muscle underneath and the less you'll worry about your exact weight.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    no they will not. its a good place to start though.
  • AEFidgets
    Options
    Ha. Biggest misconception there is. Women have a really hard time gaining upper body muscle. Now, what exactly are toned arms? Arms that don't jiggle or wave back at you when you wave? What on your arm is solid and what is soft and jiggly? Muscle and fat of course. The muscle is the good stuff that looks nice and the fat is the soft flabby stuff with little to no form. You want as much muscle as you can get. It's hard to put on so start now.
    Start now. Exercising your muscles lets your body know that it shouldn't use the muscle for calories and helps hold on to what you have while you lose weight. Show your body that the muscle is necessary by using it, otherwise you might find that you make your goal weight and don't have the shape or figure you want.

You won't fully understand till you get there but the weight on a scale is not a proper fitness goal. Sure you don't want to be 50 pounds over weight but the closer you get to your goal the more you'll appreciate the lean muscle underneath and the less you'll worry about your exact weight.

This, Honestly it takes women tons of dedicated work to gain muscle like you see on body builders.
  • jtr752
    Options
    I have been doing push-ups and 8-10lb dumbell arm exercises too for months and have seen some results in muscle tone in my arms. The last 2 weeks I have also been doing this 5 min arms video 5-6 days a week, I really think it is helping. Good luck, at least we have quite a few month until summer and tank top/sleevless shirt season!!! : )
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTGBFlB1fEI
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    But they will not make my arms super muscular correct?

LOL, only eating a calorie surplus and working with heavy weights for years would do that.

If 8 lb DB's made your arms super muscular easily, practically every man on the planet would be as big as Arnold.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

All of this.

Plus, your purse probably weighs more than 8lbs. A bag of groceries or a 24pk of soda probably weighs more than 8lbs. Most babies weigh more than 8lbs (especially after they are a few weeks old). None of those things have made your arms super muscular.

To get arms that are super muscular or super sculpted takes a lot of dedicated effort, time, and a calorie surplus.
  • PoliticalRN
    PoliticalRN Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Thanks!
    That's what I use doing my RevAbs workouts and I have awesome arms! You just have to do more reps so you can exhaust your muscles!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    8lbs is ok. 10lbs and you should definitely enter a bodybuilding comp.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Do you see cashiers at grocery stores with toned arms? They lift gallons of milk and such all day.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Boom. Great post.
    I have been doing push-ups and 8-10lb dumbell arm exercises too for months and have seen some results in muscle tone in my arms.
    Push ups are way more intense than 8-10 weights. Something like 55% of your bodyweight for modified pushups and 70% of your weight for full push ups. Probably that's where most of your results are coming from.
  • ILoveMyLifeee
    Options
    Should I add push ups as well?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Should I add push ups as well?

They're a great exercise. If you can't do a modified pushup, start on a wall or countertop, or with a set of stairs- whatever height you can get 8-10 reps out. Then work your way lower and lower until you're eventually on the ground.
  • vikingheart
    Options
    Do push ups, yoga push ups, tricep dips...

You don't have to lift weights to gain arm muscle. There are a lot of body weight exercises you can do.

Besides, if you are a woman, you will NOT bulk up with weightlifting unless you are taking supplements and eating a ridiculous amount of protein. Biology, baby.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Besides, if you are a woman, you will NOT bulk up with weightlifting unless you are taking supplements and eating a ridiculous amount of protein. Biology, baby.

Legal supplements DO NOT make you bulk up, neither does protein. Steriods do.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    They definitely will not. I use 15 an 20lb weights. Women do not bulk up from dumbells alone.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Have a look at bodyweight exercises - you don't need to lift big heavy weights if 1) you don't want to and 2) you're not looking to build a significant amount of muscle (like you're not). You can be strong and lean enough to look good enough without the extremes of the iron game.

Good luck.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    You are the only one who can truly answer that question. Everyone's level is different. You just need to make sure to work to failure. The push-ups are a great suggestion. I would also suggest getting a set of adjustable dumbbells so that you can increase the weight as you get stronger. I have the PowerBlock SportBlock 24s and I love them.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options

Thanks!

It's a great place to start. Will keep you from injuring yourself until you get super confortable with the proper form for each exercise!