Is rice good for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what your thoughts are on rice for weight loss. I know that there is rice diets out there. I guess I am just wondering has any used rice on a daily basis? Only asking because I had white rice this morning for breakfast and just got to thinking about it......

It neither good nor bad. I had white rice last night. Calories are what really matter.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Use brown over white and be careful of your serving size. It will help fill you up, but there are other things to eat with the same amount of calories with a lot more nutrients. Good luck! :)

Unless you are like me and found out that brown rice is kinda nasty. :ohwell:
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    There's much less difference between white and brown rice than current trends will have you believe. Both are food. Both should be eaten within the confines of your macro-nutrient goals.
  • JessieTangerine
    JessieTangerine Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Question: Do you like white rice?

If the answer is yes, and you want to eat white rice, and you don't have any medical reason not to eat white rice, then yes, white rice is good for weight loss.

Why is white rice good for weight loss? Because you like it, you have the calories for it, and you're not depriving yourself of anything.

^ this

On a related note, I dont like rice, but think its a wonderful diet food. Even small portions of white rice keeps me full for quite some time so i generally make myself a pot for really busy days that I know I wont have time to eat much.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Rice is great for weight loss, if eating it means that it will displace some other food that is more calorie dense than it.

During my trip to Asia about 5 years ago, i ate some of the largest portions of rice i had ever eaten, and returned to America 25 LBS lighter after a month over there eating rice, veggies and fruit.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    There are many people who will cry out that rice=bad for weight loss. But, I eat rice a few times a week and I'm 50 pounds down from my highest. Maybe it's not 100% the best choice out there, but if you like it and you have the calories for it, go for it! I like it because it makes for a lower calorie side dish than pasta or potatoes. Sometimes you just crave a little starch. Or at least I do.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Any food that gets you to your calorie and nutrient targets for the day while keeping you feeling satiated is "good for weight loss". For me, this does happen to include rice. For example, the rice in the Chipotle I ate today.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    I lived in Korea for a year, ate it almost daily and with most meals and found I lost weight. I actually went to my slimmest weight, however I was at a deficit in my calories too and was fairly active. But from my experience, it didn't make me gain weight like some other people are saying.

Basically, eat what you want as long as you are at a calorie deficit, (and obviously keep an eye on things like protein and fat intake etc) but try and aim to get those cals from healthy foods!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,617 Member
    Options
    NO! White rice is not good for weight loss at all.. too high in carbs.. shoots the blood sugar levels up and basically doesn't actually have much nutritional value.
    Brown rice is a little bit better but unless you have a metabolism that is used to rice and needs it for digestive purposes.. avoid the white stuff!
    It's fine in small portions.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I am Puerto Rican so I eat rice and beans almost everyday.. I don't think that is what made me gain weight. I'm sure it was all the pizza wings and beer. So white rice I give it the Puerto Rican stamp of approval lol
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    the only rice I eat is a rice cake with PB almost everyday. I avoid it otherwise because of too many cals and carbs and not enough benefits.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what your thoughts are on rice for weight loss. I know that there is rice diets out there. I guess I am just wondering has any used rice on a daily basis? Only asking because I had white rice this morning for breakfast and just got to thinking about it......

If you explore Asians diet, we have steam white rice for lunch and dinner, as said earlier, with lots of vegetables, and a small portion of meat, usually fish. The vegetables are usually stir fried with little oil and salt, and meat or fish are generally steamed. And certain groups like to have soup for dinner which maybe soy base, chicken or pork but we only drink the soup, and nor eat the ingredients in soup. And there are those who find steam rice too heavy for the day, especially older folks, they do rice porridge, easier to digest, and rice porridge is less dense. The portions are usually 1 plate 6 inch plate - 1 quarter rice, 1/2 plate of vegetables, 1/4 meat, and small bowl of soup, and fruit. And you will also notice that the food preparation are mainly steam, stir fry, boiled, not deep fried, grilled, baked, or pan fry.

The day's calories for Asian diets, are generally lower, because rice makes us feel fuller, it's denser and therefore, the portion that we eat is generally small.

However, if you are trying to use this as a diet plan, but you are not used to such way of eating, you will have to make this your way of eating if not not sure how long it will sustain you. I would suggest look for a more sustainable way of eating ie, Food that you like, prepared in way that will keep the weights off.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    just checking in to let you know that I'm not fat or dead yet from my rice pudding. I would urge all of those who can fit this delicious dish into their macros to do so :smile:

200g cooked rice, 1 cup skim milk, sweetener of choice & diet caramel topping. Simmer on low. Farkin' delicious!
  • MattN1972
    Options
    If you like it, eat it. Work it into your daily caloric needs and enjoy it.

<
    some yummy white rice in that picture.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    White rice is fine. Eat as much as you can fit in your diet. No probs with it at all.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I love white rice and eat it almost every day. Like everyone else said i just ate less to lose weight.
  • zianiH
    zianiH Posts: 68
    Options
    All these talk about insulin spike...interesting, I guess the whole of Asian community that lives on rice as their main staple will die off pretty soon?! Quite ridiculous, some of the statements here.

For us Asians, rice is a main staple, we can't live without it. So, is it bad for us? No, so far, our diets generally both lunch and dinners require rice, we won't feel full if we don't have it. and if you make us live on bread or salad or just steak alone, we won't feel full at all. We will probably die faster ( as how some here claimed what rice will do to you) if we just live without rice. As you can see, many Asians are smaller in size generally in Asia, because our diet is not only on rice alone, but a good combination of vegetables, meat, and fruits. Of course in the recent health reports, many claims that brown rice is better than white rice. For thousands of years, Asians have been living with white rice, it's not easy to switch to brown rice.

So, is it bad for you, it depends. I think the composition of what your body can take depends on what you are used to, some people can be fat even being vegetarian, it's really taking things in moderation, what the body needs, and the nutrients that you need. I won't go so strong as to condemn any kind of food at all. You have to find what works for you.

Balanced diet is most critical to get healthy and help to lose weight.

I totally agree.
    I have cousins that lives in the Philippines, they eat rice practically with every meal along with their vegetables (mostly greens) and meat. They are thin an have quite a beautiful complexion...

2nd that... i've been eating white rice daily for the past 30 over years... i don't think i am that 'big'. Everything in moderation...
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    just checking in to let you know that I'm not fat or dead yet from my rice pudding. I would urge all of those who can fit this delicious dish into their macros to do so :smile:

200g cooked rice, 1 cup skim milk, sweetener of choice & diet caramel topping. Simmer on low. Farkin' delicious!

I use some milk, a cinnamon stick,, splash of vanilla and some slivered almonds and unsweetened coconut to make rice pudding out of leftover rice, So good.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    If you can eat white rice and stay at your calorie and macronutrient goals, AND if your white rice consumption doesn't cause you to avoid other nutrients (for example, if you ate only white rice and never touched a vegetable) then enjoy your white rice.

If you're not diabetic and you're using somewhat reasonable calorie and macronutrient values then I wouldnt' concern yourself with insulin.

weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

What he said!

Also, you have to look at portions too. 1/4 cup of cooked white rice for the Rooster Brand anyway is about 160 calories, and having grown up eating rice as a staple for each meal, I used to take in more than that, a whole bowl sometimes. Now that I am more aware, I just make sure to watch my portions. All the best!
  • DS04
    DS04 Posts: 48
    Options
    I stay away from the grain group.