Pre-logging?

Options

Replies

• cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    When I tried to pre-log I had huge technical problems when I needed to make a change. I had to go back and delete the same thing four or five times. I never tried again but maybe I should, just not with the Android app.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I was just wondering if any of you pre-log your food, whether it be for the day, the next few days, the week? I'm considering trying it out to help calm the chaos in my life. However, I don't want to get off track, eat something different, and waste all of that time I spent pre-logging. What are everyone's opinions?
    Yeah I generally decide if I need to defrost any meat/fish the night before, and then I plan my diary for the day as close to 1200 as I can get with all 3 meals and drinks... and then any additional cal burn means I can add some snacks throughout the day (ham/cheese/crispbreads/fruit) when I can.

Works for me as I largely work at home at the moment and so can batch-make soup and that's what I eat for lunch most days.

I deffo pre-log like today when I am going out for the evening and eating out.

I try and alternate between meat, fish and veggie dinners as well for a bit of variety...
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I pre-log meals (breakfast lunch dinner) but not snacks, cos I don't know what I'll feel like!
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    At one of my jobs I have horrible cell phone reception so I pre-log my food when I work there because it is easier and if i wait until i get off work I am likely to forget. I always pack my lunch so I know that is exactly what I'll be eating and nothing more.
  • dianad11
    dianad11 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use food logging to help me plan my day or get a general idea of my weekly shopping list. It helps me not only with calories, but as a way to tell what nutrients I am shorting my body. I make adjustments accordingly. Sometimes you gotta give up the blueberries for the Brussels sprouts, dang it! Lol
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    i log my dinner before i eat it, usually to see how many calories ill have left over/how close to my limit i am. after that if i have some spare, and i want a snack, ill log the snack before i eat it to make sure im within my limit. but i wouldnt log days ahead as im not organised enough to know what im eating in 2 days time lol!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah!!! its the BEST way :)
    I prelog in the morning all my days meals, I always know in advance what I'll be making for each meal that way I know if I have excess calories so I can have a treat, or if I'm in deficit I know I need to get off my backside and EXERCISE lol

It works for me and I really do think its the way to stay focused :)

Ruth
  • auntygill
    auntygill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I just pre log up until lunch as i usually dont know what i will be having for dinner . xx
  • Artemis00diana
    Options
    I only pre-log, if I know im gonna go out to a social event order some food/drinks ater in the night. Just so I know how uch cake I can have to a birthday party, or going dancing with friends (which alcohol can(t) i drink and how much)
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I always pre-log what I know I'm going to be having.

My work week is pretty routine. I get the same breakfast and almost always the same lunch. My weekends are a toss up, but on gym days, I know that I'm going to fill up on protein, so I pre-log that.
  • allycat5723
    allycat5723 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you everyone! I have been pre-logging since this post, and it has helped me tons. I have been planning dinners for a week at a time for years now, so it's not difficult for me to sit down and do the pre-logging. Combined with my new Bodymedia FIT, I can definitely feel some positive changes coming my way!
  • MizManda180
    MizManda180 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I pre log the day of, that way I can plan snacks or a dessert.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i try to (when i have time) preperation is key if you wanna be good! thats the way i see it :drinker:
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I try to. I find it helps me get an idea of a) what's "safe" to eat for that day in terms of snacking, and b) how to best plan my meals for the day.
    *THIS* I pre-log the current day as I can, and copy meals to the next day when I know I'll be eating leftovers. Not (yet) disciplined enough to plan meals a week ahead.
  • lar4290
    lar4290 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    What everyone else has said.

I especially pre-log if I'm going out, and then I adjust afterwards. It helps keep accountability at restaurants or when drinking.

Also, if you go to the online site, you can move foods around from meal to meal or move something from today to tomorrow. I use that a lot and adjust, but I don't know how I'd reasonably get my nutrients in without prelogging to see what I need more or less of in a given day.
  • _Tuyana_
    _Tuyana_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I always pre-log at least a day in advance. I feel more in control of my calories. Even on the days when I don't know what a particular meal is going to be (like dinner), it still gives me an estimate of how many calories I have to play around with.
  • deeksha_s
    deeksha_s Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I generally pre log my lunches in the morning, since I usually have my lunch packed with me. Dinner and snacks, I log the next morning. My biggest problem is that I fail to log my food on weekends. Either because I'm busy enjoying the weekend or I feel guilty @ my intake.
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I try to plan most of my days to pre-log when I can, especially when I'm at work so I know what my day looks like. Definitely takes the hassle out of logging!
  • DaveHuby
    DaveHuby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of batch coooking, every recipe entered here as a recipe, then portioned and calories noted. Then in the morning I get dinner out to defrost and log it immediately along with a planned veg, rice, pasta element. That way I know what I have left for lunch breakfast, snacks (and the controlled portion of booze!)

Also means my partner can copy dinner from me and make their own other meal choices.

Freezer control has been major help to us ( 55lbs lost between us) :smile:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm generally most successful when I prelog for the next day or first thing in the morning. I don't do well with logging after the fact.