Am i the only one who likes to work out alone

Options

Replies

• NotSoBigNeil
    NotSoBigNeil Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You're not alone in preferring to be alone. I even go so far as to lock my family out of the basement if I am using the treadmill. Leave me the *kitten* alone.

Winning post right there. Couldn't agree more.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I love working out alone too, unless I am doing a workout class so I can have someone to talk to.
  • jim_n_virginia
    jim_n_virginia Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I work out alone but its because every work out partner I ever had always eventually starts making excuses why they can't go and they quit so now I just do it alone. And like someone said I can get in and out faster by myself.
  • melindadunston
    Options
    Not alone! I'm pretty anti-social...lol Working out isn't a time to chat it up. It's a time to workout!
  • jaitken_22
    jaitken_22 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I do prefer to work out alone as I feel I can concentrate better. I go to the gym with my mum and as much as I love my mum and feel really bad for saying this, if she is on the machine next to me she will keep talking to me as she doesn't have much company during the day while I am at work, but I feel when I listen to her I can't concentrate and put my all into that exercise! I do think it is good to have someone there with you if it helps take your mind off how long you've been at it on the machine, but not ALL the time!!
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I am a solo artist.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Nope my main form of excersise is running and I very much enjoy doing it by myself. Its my alone time no kids, no work, dont have to worry about anything or talk about anything. Put my headphones on and check out.
  • ShawnNhGa1977
    ShawnNhGa1977 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i love to workout alone too i listen to my music on my ipod or iphone
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Unless that person is my trainer, I don't like to workout with somebody. I tend to lose focus whenever I'm with somebody else. Moreover I get pissed off whenever I'm being watched while working out.

I was thinking this. I miss having a coach/trainer. But if you aren't that person, then yah leave me alone. It's why I'm in the process of setting up a gym in my house.
  • mominwi419
    Options
    My husband and I may go to the gym together, but we'll branch off and do our own thing. The only times we'll really come together is if I am wanting to lift to a new PR and want a spotter.

Other than that, I prefer to work out alone.
  • jgandy13
    Options
    I sometimes prefer someone to go with me for motivational support...but most the time I like to workout alone. No one to make you feel rushed to leave or pressured to stay, I can huff and puff without fear of someone judging me, I don't feel like I have to worry or focus on anyone other than myself. Its a nice detox and sometimes when I take others they want to workout together as a team and stay with one another and I do not like that. I like someone to hold me accountable to go and push me but once we get there I still like to be alone lol. :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I prefer to workout alone.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I also prefer to work out alone. Like the OP said, I don't want to compete with you, try to keep up with you, or slow down to accommodate you. And I DON'T want to chat. I spend 40 hours a week in a cubicle without privacy with talkative coworkers (I enjoy them, don't get me wrong), we work with disability claims so all day long I'm on the phone listening to (truly) sad stories from people who expect I should be able to do more for them than I can. When I'm not at work, the last thing on earth I want is to spend more time with people, I just want to get my stuff done and I really enjoy the alone time.
  • holidayworkout
    Options
    Nope. I love working out alone. I don't mind going to the gym with friends but they actually talk to me when we're hard coring, like no. Stop. And I feel better of myself when I workout alone it actually boosts my self-esteem because me sweating and panting isn't the most attractive thing in the world which is why I don't want anyone to be there when I workout. That may have sounded weird, I don't know how to explain...
  • freasabreze
    freasabreze Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm with you girl! I hate it when I have to pace myself with someone else. I feel cheated. My sister always wants to go with me and I hate it but I don't want to hurt her feelings.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I used to until I started going to the gym with my husband and realized how much more weight I could lift with a spotter. We do the same workout so it works and we are both there to workout and NOT chit chat. We get in, get it done and get out.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out alone, too. I do enjoy hiking with my husband, but otherwise I typically fly solo. You'll never find me at Zumba class. :laugh:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I am not good company when I work out in the gym. I'm only good company if the workout is a hike, a long walk, or a run. And then only if the workout partner is my husband, because I don't like nonsense, and he's no nonsense.
  • mochalishious
    mochalishious Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Alone as well. I look at my work out as me time! A break from my husband & kids. I will do a dumbs class but that's it
  • chaNyn613
    chaNyn613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I work out alone except when I am trying to add jogging to my routine. I hate jogging but love the results so I add a buddy with the same pace. Otherwise, its 5:30 am and my social barometer is not turned on until after my shower.