What does 'clean eating' mean?

Options

Replies

• Kaydana123
    Kaydana123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It seems pretty silly to me to avoid eating things just because you are ignorant of chemistry.

The whole "clean eating" craze is a bunch of nonsense in my opinion.
    Not if the so-called "additives" are actually vitamins. :wink:
    Anyone who buys their meat at a butcher or grocery store is buying "processed" meat. Anyone who buys a tomato from a grocer is buying a "processed" tomato.

This is why the whole "don't eat processed foods" and "eat clean" are so silly and why it's a "throwaway pejorative" as was stated in the beginning of the thread. Ignorance is ignorance.

I like you. It's nice to finally meet someone else who doesn't scream and run away from the meaningless "scary food words."
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    @Kaydana123, yes I did get your point, quite clearly. And that's why I said it was extrapolation at it's finest. You are taking something and seeing too much into. This thread is about what people think is "clean eating", and when people refer to processed foods they are referring to prepackaged foods; clearly people use the wrong terminology, and god forbid, so do I, we're not all perfect.

What I AM trying to say is that you are extrapolating what he said. Just because you can "pronounce" a word, doesn't mean you know what it is or understand it, and I think what the person who ORIGINALLY said that (note, it wasn't me) was trying to say that instead.

And I think you have me all wrong. I'm tried of hearing about the whole fad diet thing is, and I"m not all into clean eating. Do I prefer eating fresh fruits and veggies, or a homemade soup over a canned soup; absolutely. I then KNOW what is in it.
  • Kaydana123
    Kaydana123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    @Kaydana123, yes I did get your point, quite clearly. And that's why I said it was extrapolation at it's finest. You are taking something and seeing too much into. This thread is about what people think is "clean eating", and when people refer to processed foods they are referring to prepackaged foods; clearly people use the wrong terminology, and god forbid, so do I, we're not all perfect.

What I AM trying to say is that you are extrapolating what he said. Just because you can "pronounce" a word, doesn't mean you know what it is or understand it, and I think what the person who ORIGINALLY said that (note, it wasn't me) was trying to say that instead.

And I think you have me all wrong. I'm tried of hearing about the whole fad diet thing is, and I"m not all into clean eating. Do I prefer eating fresh fruits and veggies, or a homemade soup over a canned soup; absolutely. I then KNOW what is in it.

As I said, I got a little sidetracked. And I admit that my first example was a poor one, I believe the pasta and frozen veg example illustrates the point better as they are both pre-packaged foods. But I'm not extrapolating anything, I was simply interpreting the statement in the way someone who knew nothing about clean eating might and attempting to prevent the spread of false information.

You and I may understand perfectly well what someone means when they say to go with the foods with the least ingredients, or when they say to only eat foods you can pronounce, but to someone who doesn't know what clean eating is, to the person who started the thread, that advice means exactly what it says and nothing more. Fad diets are often utterly ridiculous (hello, lemonade diet!), it doesn't take a huge stretch of the imagination to imagine a fad diet based around the literal interpretation of that statement.

I may think clean eating is unnecessarily extreme, I may have no desire to ever follow a clean diet, but that doesn't mean that I want the people who ask questions about it being given false information.
  • amydickie
    amydickie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you would have made this statement first, I think you wouldn't have had people digging in their heels. Your first statement sounded like someone being nasty because they "know" more then the lay person. I understand your statement so much more now. I think you both made a great point and now I understand both of you. Though the word "processed" has many defintions, anyone trying to eat healthy knows that fruits and veggies are better for them than pasta. Also the one ingredient in pasta is usually somalina (sp?) and most people don't know what this is. This again goes to the point of if you can't pronounce it or don't know what it is, don't eat it.
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    As stated several times above: the answer varies on the person. But basically just by way of extremes. It could be anything from simply cutting fast / junk food & preparing your meals in healthy manner to eating paleo in my book.

Personally, I do a happy medium. I do still go out to eat on occassion - but i shoot for the leanest / healthiest option.
  • Melolicious
    Melolicious Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    For me eating 'clean' is avoiding artificial preservatives, colours and sweetners. (Think of how your great-great grandparents ate.) Cooking doesn't diminish it and you should be able to look at your plate of food and be able to recognize what its individual components are. You either know what it's mother's face looks like or you washed dirt off of it. It's food that grown, not assembled in a factory. I don't eat cheese whiz but I do eat cheese. I eat honey instead of Splenda or Nutrasweet. I eat whole grain brown rice instead of Minute Rice. I eat out but you won't find me at McDonald's. I eat meat but I want the animals raised humanely. I do choose some organic food to limit my exposure to pesticides. You can take this to varying degrees, depending on what your ethical and moral stance is. Clean eating doesn't need to mean crazy or extreme.
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It's what your grand-parents or great-grandparents used to call "Food". Basically one ingredient items alone or combined. Non processed. Apple has one ingrediant, its an apple. Big Mac...not so much :tongue:
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I think it means different things to different people. For me it's striving to prepare meals with fresh ingredients which begin as close to their natural state as possible, and avoiding crap like fast food, soda, and the usual junk food. I don't have a problem with everything "processed" though since many products are just fine- yogurt and protein powder for example.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    It's what your grand-parents or great-grandparents used to call "Food". Basically one ingredient items alone or combined. Non processed. Apple has one ingrediant, its an apple. Big Mac...not so much :tongue:

It's a reverse dysphemism and rather strange way to judge food and try to categorize food between "clean" and "unclean".

The BigMac in the example above is somehow shown to be "dirty" and "bad" and "processed". We see a fight against modernity and an attempt to return to the sources. Simplification to "one ingredient". An apple. Oh, the biblical significance.

And yet, the BigMac is a reasonable source of protein (sans sauce) and not dirty or unclean.

That apple was sprayed, watered and transported and within its ingredients it has cyanogenic acids. Deadly stuff. And yet it is "clean". Go figure.

My point is not that apples are bad, they are not, in normal quantities. But the value judgement around "clean food" should be challenged and refined.

ETA: I find it funny that the banner above this thread on my machine shows a pringles can.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    ETA: I find it funny that the banner above this thread on my machine shows a pringles can.

Ha! On mine it says "gluten free vegan bouillon turkey gravy" Mmmmmmm!
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options

It's a reverse dysphemism and rather strange way to judge food and try to categorize food between "clean" and "unclean".

The BigMac in the example above is somehow shown to be "dirty" and "bad" and "processed". We see a fight against modernity and an attempt to return to the sources. Simplification to "one ingredient". An apple. Oh, the biblical significance.

And yet, the BigMac is a reasonable source of protein (sans sauce) and not dirty or unclean.

That apple was sprayed, watered and transported and within its ingredients it has cyanogenic acids. Deadly stuff. And yet it is "clean". Go figure.

My point is not that apples are bad, they are not, in normal quantities. But the value judgement around "clean food" should be challenged and refined.

One cannot account for every variation or opinion.
  • Tommy
    Tommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

The forum guidelines include this item:

2. No Hi-Jacking Topics

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

With respect,
    Tom
    MyFitnessPal Staff
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    What it all boils down to is that "clean eating" is a vague, ambiguous phrase that has different meanings to different people. "Clean eating" to most low-carb dieters would be anathema to a vegan, and vice-versa. For somebody with a fairly flexible (IIFYM) diet strategy, their definition of "clean" would be much different than orthorexic types who try to avoid everything with any ingredient longer than five letters. You can't boil "clean eating" down to a simple, one-sentence definition/explanation (at least not for anybody but yourself).
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I hear people say they 'eat clean'. What does this mean? Is it a popular diet plan? Is the phrase only used on mfp, or would the average woman on the street understand its meaning? Am I the only clueless person in the world on this?

Clean generally means unprocessed. In my opinion, it's a categorization that has some ambiguity to it and in some cases causes problems (not problems from eating clean, but problems related to dieters stressing out over categorizing their foods). I'd check out the following:

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
    http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/#cleandirty
    Fantastic article! (That I was going to provide).

In my opinion, the goal of "clean eating" is to demonize certain foods and food groups. If you're not miserable, then you're not dieting. Better yet, you're not one of the dedicated if you don't eat chicken breast and brown rice all day.

Of course that is all nonsense.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...Better yet, you're not one of the dedicated if you don't eat chicken breast and brown rice all day.
    ...but I thought we just read in a thread yesterday how rice is the devil incarnate. You mean even <gasp> BODYBUILDERS eat that stuff?!??!!11!?!? :bigsmile:
  • Shandellyy
    Options
    A lot of people are right, it is fresh free ranged meat and dairy. Of course all fish, fruit, veggies. Raw nuts, natural rolled oats amd natural peanut butter... Things that are "natural" basically when walking into a grocery store stay out along the sides of the store, all the fresh stuff, dont go down any lanes. I however am gluten sensitive and my body cant process gluten. All i can eat is "clean" "natural" and "fresh" all gluten free products are fresh and not processed. Of course no fast food at all ever and a lot of salads ha.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    just a little sidenote to help here. i read a saying i liked a while back in an article about clean eating. (paraphrasing here) " look at the ingredient list, if it has one ingredient it's good, the lower the amount of ingredients the better, if you can't pronounce an ingredient you shouldn't be eating it."

Exactly

But a lot of "not being able to read the ingredients" is simply a lack of education. After Googling a lot of these "non-pronouncable" items, I found out they were actually the scientific name for something that was a common, ordinary item.

Thank you!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    just a little sidenote to help here. i read a saying i liked a while back in an article about clean eating. (paraphrasing here) " look at the ingredient list, if it has one ingredient it's good, the lower the amount of ingredients the better, if you can't pronounce an ingredient you shouldn't be eating it."

Exactly

But a lot of "not being able to read the ingredients" is simply a lack of education. After Googling a lot of these "non-pronouncable" items, I found out they were actually the scientific name for something that was a common, ordinary item.

Thank you!

Deoxyribonucleic acid <- Sounds scary doesn't it? Without it no organism would be here. This is just to illustrate the point further regarding those "non-pronouncable" items.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I hear people say they 'eat clean'. What does this mean? Is it a popular diet plan? Is the phrase only used on mfp, or would the average woman on the street understand its meaning? Am I the only clueless person in the world on this?

Clean generally means unprocessed. In my opinion, it's a categorization that has some ambiguity to it and in some cases causes problems (not problems from eating clean, but problems related to dieters stressing out over categorizing their foods). I'd check out the following:

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
    http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/#cleandirty

Truth ^^^

I had never heard that term before MFP and have found that most of the so-called "clean eaters" are a walking contradiction in terms of what's ok to eat and what's not. I think it's better to simply get enough protein and fat, stay within your calories, eat plenty of veggies, get some form of exercise on a regular basis, and eat the things you enjoy eating.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    ... if you can't pronounce an ingredient you should Google it to educate yourself

Fixed it for you! :flowerforyou: