Weight is really just genetic

Options

Replies

• hml1976
    Options
    If I remember correctly from university biology, genetics are a predisposition but not necessarily destiny. So you may be genetically predisposed to heart disease or cancer, but it doesn't mean you have to develop them. It just means it is worthwhile taking extra steps to avoid them.

Genetics are just one of many factors affecting health. Our choices still matter.

Yes. If genetics were all that mattered the obesity rate would stay the same, not increase over time. Unless of course only obese people are having children? My whole family is overweight, but I'm not anymore.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Every single member of my family, including extended family, is overweight or obese. But it's not genetic, we all over eat and don't exercise. Whatever part genetics does play in weight, I believe can be corrected through diet and exercise.

It's like when my Mom says we have a history of heart disease in our family, we don't actually - we just have a family history of smoking, drinking whiskey and pouring gravy on everything.
    This. When I was eating the same and when I was as sedentary as everyone else in my family, I was overweight like they are.
    When I started eating healthy foods and getting moderate exercise, my weight dropped down to the healthy range.
    Go figure.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I middle school, I knew identical triplets... it was interesting because one was skinny, another average, and the third was quite chubby.
    I knew identical triplets too. One built a house made of straw, another of sticks and one of bricks.
    Were they fat?
    Yes, actually. Rather piggish.
  • gypsyrose85
    gypsyrose85 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    no its actually almost entirely environment.
    I do think genetics have a PART in it. I was given up for adoption at birth. My parents (the ones who raised me) were thin and so was my brother (their bio son). I was always more on the heavy side. I ate like them and was VERY active (I was doing martial arts and soccer at the same time. When I was doing that I was 170 pounds! I am only 5/4) My Biological family come to find out are obese or overweight. I was always on the heavier side (though since having kids it has gotten much worse). I didn't know my bio family until I was 22 years old. My Bio mother is 230 at 5/6, my father at 5/9 is over 500 pounds O_O. So I do think genetics do play a part but I don't think it is all of it.
  • Sincere24
    Sincere24 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i remember actually seeing a documentary on this on twins and weight. But with all test cases, there are often many things that go untested... like eating patterns, ones relationship with food, emotional triggers if any the list goes on in regards to how such variables affects weight, particularly if twins can often share similar personality traits ( not alwys but can)
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    People are fat because of sedentary lifestyles and overconsumption of calories. There are a few that have medical conditions where losing weight is very difficult. It's so easy to point fingers at what factors may be causing you to be overweight instead of looking in the mirror at the number one cause.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Remember these guys from the old Guinness books?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTB-vgmRIH8Aahwv9hN9ganlsO_7AwDvfygGhgY207Rg3X785K0ge3lxZuucA
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Is true. If your parents didn't weigh anything changes are you won't weigh anything either.

willy-wonka-health-meme-300x300.png
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I used to think the same thing when I was obese (for nearly half of my 38 years) and boy was it a great way to excuse myself from doing something about my health and fitness! Obviously a little mindfulness and some small changes can do wonders... I still eat what I like most of the time, avoid the treats that aren't really worth it, watch my portions, eat healthier and move more. It's not that hard to change things up. You have to want it and be willing to put a little work in instead of sitting around and whining.

There are some obese people in my family but I know if they put a little effort in they could have the same success...it's not a death sentence unless you let it be.
  • gypsyrose85
    gypsyrose85 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I used to think the same thing when I was obese (for nearly half of my 38 years) and boy was it a great way to excuse myself from doing something about my health and fitness! Obviously a little mindfulness and some small changes can do wonders... I still eat what I like most of the time, avoid the treats that aren't really worth it, watch my portions, eat healthier and move more. It's not that hard to change things up. You have to want it and be willing to put a little work in instead of sitting around and whining.

There are some obese people in my family but I know if they put a little effort in they could have the same success...it's not a death sentence unless you let it be.

I just wanted to say congrats on being so close to your goal! GOOD JOB! how long did it take if you don't mind me asking?
  • greenmeena
    greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hahaha!! So when someone starts a thread like this just to stir the pot, is it called a troll thread? Shouldn't this be in the Humor section of the message boards?

So amusing!

My neighbor's cat must have had fat cat parents, too. She looks like a loaf of bread with paws.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh someone is really really excited that they found a NEW SHINY REASON TO NOT TRY AT ALL!!!!

APPLAUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hows this working for ya? happy yet?
  • trink68
    trink68 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Genetic my ___ My parents are both slender people.How did I balloon to 300lbs at one point? Its what you put in your mouth and how long you sit your behind on the couch playing PS3!
  • f1ctional
    Options
    Yea, I don't think so. I am the only fat *kitten* on both sides of the family tree.

Its my own fault and I am trying to fix it. The end.
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    no its actually almost entirely environment.
    I do think genetics have a PART in it.. . . So I do think genetics do play a part but I don't think it is all of it.

Agree - - your bone structure is genetic but not much else. However, you do learn your eating and exercise habits from your environment. Having been "big boned" all my life (my most excellent cop-out!), I know that my weight has very little to do with my family (most of whom are obese) and every thing to do with the fact that I didn't want to exercise or eat proper portions.
    I've lost 90 lbs and although I will never make it to an ideal BMI or a size 00, I am able to change the habits which my environment taught me over the years.
  • lauriem1966
    lauriem1966 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If its genetic then why I am the ONLY overweight person in my family? No one on my dad's side or mum's side is overweight....all slender.

I'd say my binge eating got me to where I am...not genetics. I take full responsibility.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Is trolling genetic?
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm a special snowflake so the whole "genetics" thing doesn't apply to me.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    i bet youre lazy
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    If its genetic, i should be morbidly obese with diabetes, heart disease, thyroid issues, and arthritus.

Instead....im 16% bodyfat, hypoglycemic, and can run an eight minute mile.

im not buying it.