cant stand the taste of water

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Never actually heard of anyone hating the taste of water...I guess for me, it tastes like nothing pretty much. I think it gets old and borring, so I will add lemon or some cucumber slices...stuff like that. When I'm feeling like a soda, I use my soda stream and just make bubbly water and squeeze some lemon in there.

Yeah, I never heard of that either until MFP. I can see the ones who say it's "boring." Yes, it is boring. But it has no taste.
  • laynunugawa
    laynunugawa Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I love some of the comments on here. Make water more drinkable by adding flavors? Its WATER, its already drinkable. Humans need water to survive, period. Reminds me of my great 100x grand dad who lived in a cave and just couldn't stomache the taste of water, so he and his hunting group went out to make water more bearable ahhahahahahahaaha

Oh and another thing someone said that is so true about water being boring.....I did'nt know that water was suppose to entertain us
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    It does not matter where the water source is from I can't stand the taste. I have used many filters (including the brita), Water straight from an underground spring, (crystal springs in Plymouth NH is just one of these places.) I gag while drinking it.

I am not a fan of straight water in general. There are a few bottled brands I can stomach, but nothing else and no filters.

A touch of lemon juice helps (plus it is supposedly a diuretic). My husband and I also like sparkling water (aka club soda aka seltzer), so we got a SodaStream. We've literally never made soda with it and use it for water only. My husband likes to mix it with juices, but I'm not a juice drinker.

Crystal Light is ok, too, but once I weaned myself off of those little packets, going back was weird, and I can't stand them now.
  • gypsyrose85
    gypsyrose85 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It does not matter where the water source is from I can't stand the taste. I have used many filters (including the brita), Water straight from an underground spring, (crystal springs in Plymouth NH is just one of these places.) I gag while drinking it.

What taste? Water has no taste.
    It has a metallic taste.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

That sucks. Do you gag while drinking pop, tea, coffee, milk, enhanced waters, ect?
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I love some of the comments on here. Make water more drinkable by adding flavors? Its WATER, its already drinkable. Humans need water to survive, period. Reminds me of my great 100x grand dad who lived in a cave and just couldn't stomache the taste of water, so he and his hunting group went out to make water more bearable ahhahahahahahaaha

Oh and another thing someone said that is so true about water being boring.....I did'nt know that water was suppose to entertain us

Hmm. I don't add flavors to make it more 'drinkable' I add flavors to make it more ENJOYABLE. LOL. I struggled with a very HEAVY addiction to soda for a very long time, and when I started to drink water....it sucked, I drank it but I didn't like it...I added crystal light to mine to GRADUALLY reduce my craving for a sweet flavor...now I rarely drink flavored water and LOVE regular water.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz has a "recipe" for water - I believe it's listed on his site. It contains lemon, cucumbers, mint and a few other ingredients. You mix it all together in a pitcher and let it sit in the refrig overnight. You might want to try it to see if you like it.

Actually, the recipe for water is 2 parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen. Dr. Oz is just adding flavors to it.

^This
  • PhillyTD
    PhillyTD Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I don't always drink water, but when I do it's Irish whiskey.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I grew up drinking zero glasses of water a day. Zero. I hated the taste and would drink any beverage before water. I started off trying to make myself drink 1 glass a day. I hated it and dreaded it but I did it. Over the years, I've upped it and now I drink a cup of tea in the morning and water the rest of the day. I still don't like it, but I can easily drink it now.

Start off with some fruit infused water recipes (probably better for you than Crystal Light, etc) and see if you like any of those. Start with a small goal, replacing one non-water beverage each day and move up from there. It might not seem like it, but someday it really will be a habit you no longer really think about.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I never understand these threads. Water has no taste...it is just wet. I grew up in a house that ran off a well that had sulfur water....try a refreshing glass of that and then get back to me on how terrible regular water tastes. :laugh:

Ugh, I am with you - we had a horrible iron taste in our water because it was well water. We had to treat it with all sorts of stuff just to make it useable in the house - which meant it had chlorine in it. My parents had an office-style water cooler in our house until a few years ago when their street was hooked up to the township's water system.

I got so spoiled by the water cooler that even clean water has a taste to it, depending on its source. Evian and Nestle water taste horrible to me. Dasani and Aquafina are ok. Brita filtered water = blech. Thankfully the filtered water from our fridge tastes great, and in our office we buy Kirkland (Costco) brand purified water, which I think tastes great!
  • gypsyrose85
    Options
    I do drink it (the 8 glasses a day) but it is VERY forced.
  • karibj2010
    karibj2010 Posts: 264 Member
    Options

I keep lemons in my fridge and add them to my water for just a little added flavor. I think it helps.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options

It has a metallic taste.

I had this issue and it was the local water. Since I moved, it's been way better. I'm usually not a fan of bottled water because it seems wasteful but have you tried non-local bottled waters?
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I do drink it (the 8 glasses a day) but it is VERY forced.

I add crystal light to ALL the water I drink. It only adds 5 calories and you can carry a packet with you in your purse for when you're at work or out to eat or whatever.
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've heard this often, and I never quite understood it because personally I LOVE the taste of (clean, filtered) water. However, do you drink a lot of other things (soda, milk, juice, etc.)? Sometimes your tastebuds can grow so accustomed to the wide variety of sweet, rich or super carbonated drinks. Maybe cutting out other drinks would make you crave water more and help your tastebuds acquire a taste for water more. I would HATE if I hated the taste of water, though. Sounds miserable! If you cut out all other drinks for several days and still can't drink water without gagging, I would definitely recommend some of the cucumber/lemon/etc. water recipes people have listed.
  • amylouize2012
    amylouize2012 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    `

OMG me too!! I actually never drink more than a glass of fluid on an average day though, I have to try really hard and tell myself I have to drink something. adding some Kia Ora or Mi Wadi helps the water. If I had a pint of fluids I would feel like I was drowning, I know it's insane and it affects my health (I've even been in hospital twice on account of being dehydrated and I get awful migraines).

Am I alone?

My doc told me if I don't increase my fuids I'm literally killing myself, scary but I NEVER feel thirsty, even at the gym :o(
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz has a "recipe" for water - I believe it's listed on his site. It contains lemon, cucumbers, mint and a few other ingredients. You mix it all together in a pitcher and let it sit in the refrig overnight. You might want to try it to see if you like it.

Actually, the recipe for water is 2 parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen. Dr. Oz is just adding flavors to it.

That's why they put the quotation marks around "recipe," obviously . . .
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

It has a metallic taste.

It could be that your local water company does a crappy job. I have found water in some places (like Kansas City) that has a metallic taste to it. Sometimes it even stinks, like Nevada, MO. However, you were talking about spring water, bottled distilled water, etc. Those have no flavor whatsoever.
  • gypsyrose85
    Options

It has a metallic taste.

I had this issue and it was the local water. Since I moved, it's been way better. I'm usually not a fan of bottled water because it seems wasteful but have you tried non-local bottled waters?
    The only one I really like is Aquafena (spelling?(
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options

Do this!! it's great for your skin as well! :)