cant stand the taste of water

Options

Replies

• ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'm big on flavored seltzer. Its all I drink. If I go out and they don't have flavored seltzer, I'll ask them to splash sprite in it to give it some flavor.
  • HyacintheAlcuin
    Options
    I used to be the same way, you can add all sorts of things in it if you want but remember at the end of the day you're still adding calories and often at times when your body doesn't need them. Quite honestly i would say to you (and all these other ppl who dont drink pure water) get over it your body NEEDS water and quite honestly its not that bad. Try what i did by only water yes you can mix add flavored water and soda water to the mix add lemon but buy ONLY WATER when you go shopping then when you get thirsty all you have to drink is water
  • gypsyrose85
    gypsyrose85 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It does not matter where the water source is from I can't stand the taste. I have used many filters (including the brita), Water straight from an underground spring, (crystal springs in Plymouth NH is just one of these places.) I gag while drinking it.

What taste? Water has no taste.
    It has a metallic taste.

It could be that your local water company does a crappy job. I have found water in some places (like Kansas City) that has a metallic taste to it. Sometimes it even stinks, like Nevada, MO. However, you were talking about spring water, bottled distilled water, etc. Those have no flavor whatsoever.
    They do to me. Crystal springs is where my family would get their water but even that was elch. Distilled is not good for you because the minerals that you need that water contains is not in distilled water.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz has a "recipe" for water - I believe it's listed on his site. It contains lemon, cucumbers, mint and a few other ingredients. You mix it all together in a pitcher and let it sit in the refrig overnight. You might want to try it to see if you like it.

Actually, the recipe for water is 2 parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen. Dr. Oz is just adding flavors to it.

genius he is.

heh. WIN
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    It does not matter where the water source is from I can't stand the taste. I have used many filters (including the brita), Water straight from an underground spring, (crystal springs in Plymouth NH is just one of these places.) I gag while drinking it.

What taste? Water has no taste.
    It has a metallic taste.

It could be that your local water company does a crappy job. I have found water in some places (like Kansas City) that has a metallic taste to it. Sometimes it even stinks, like Nevada, MO. However, you were talking about spring water, bottled distilled water, etc. Those have no flavor whatsoever.
    They do to me. Crystal springs is where my family would get their water but even that was elch. Distilled is not good for you because the minerals that you need that water contains is not in distilled water.

Distilled is fine if you get minerals from other sources (which you likely do). As a grad student I drank water out of our UP water machine all the time...and that's as pure as it gets (18.2 resisitivity (forgot units).
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    People are cracking me up, though. Water DOES have a taste, and it varies from place to place. If it's from a well, it might be earthy or taste of minerals found in the area. Every city water company adds lots of stuff to cleanse the water, too. Fluoride, chlorine, calcium, sodium, sulfates, and the like can lend certain flavors to water. Even though I use a Pur filter pitcher for my water where I live now, the water in my hometown straight out of the faucet still tastes much cleaner than the water in my current city. Check out the content listed from your city's water department, and I think you might be surprised at what all is really in what you're drinking, even after filtering!
  • marcia724
    marcia724 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I like Mio...
    Also, make decaffeinated iced green tea!! use stevia to sweeten. it's so good!
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I used to hate the way beer tasted, too...

...I got over it.
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same way. I started out drinking Crystal Light and then slowly moved to water. The taste of plain water used to make me sick. Now I drink a gallon of it a day without any issues.
  • ImperfectedBeauty
    ImperfectedBeauty Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    At first I had to put lemon juice in my water, otherwise I couldn't get it down... now im ok with drinking it plain. Id try lemon juice or crystal light... also the nice thing with the lemon is it does all sorts of great things for your body and immune system! =)
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    MIO water enhancer has saved me. People swear water has no taste - Well if that was true, the bottled water companies would have never gotten started up. We live on MIO now for our dieting water intake and it's great. It's expensive, though, but at the risk of not drinking the water, I put up with the expense.
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Try using a bottle that you have to "suck" the water out. I drink it down fast like that and just ignore the lack of flavor.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Try using a bottle that you have to "suck" the water out. I drink it down fast like that and just ignore the lack of flavor.

I've also heard that drinking it with a straw helps you drink it faster, though I have yet to personally test that theory.
  • nicgilding
    Options
    I don't like drinking water either. I rarely drink water. Not because I have a problem with the taste, it's just because I prefer tastier drinks like soda. I try to just chug some water down once in a while. Either that, or have a glass of water and a can of soda side by side and alternate between them.
  • y0mbo
    y0mbo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Maybe its not the water, but the container you are putting it in.

I've discovered that plastic cups really affect the taste of water to me. Using a glass doesn't have an effect on the taste to me.

Nalgene bottles don't seem to have a flavor to me either.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    My heart tries to bleed for you: and then it doesn't. For gods sake get a tiny bit real - not the OP of course, well done for you for making these steps and I do wish you well and hear where you are coming from; but anyone bothering about the taste of water (and I've only heard it it from US people on this site so far), please be a touch more aware...

http://www.wateraid.org/uk/what_we_do/the_need/207.asp?gclid=CJKM1Ie_lbQCFSTLtAodFTwAhQ

Maybe you could donate some of what you spend on diet soda and Mio and Crystalite and other crap to people who really need actual water?

I don't like steak without A1 and butter. Got a charity I can donate to?
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I just add vodka. It helps a lot.

Best of luck in your journey!

win.
  • gypsyrose85
    gypsyrose85 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Maybe its not the water, but the container you are putting it in.

I've discovered that plastic cups really affect the taste of water to me. Using a glass doesn't have an effect on the taste to me.

Nalgene bottles don't seem to have a flavor to me either.
    hmmm maybe. I still notice the taste in a glass cup though....I will have to explore this avenue Thank you!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz has a "recipe" for water - I believe it's listed on his site. It contains lemon, cucumbers, mint and a few other ingredients. You mix it all together in a pitcher and let it sit in the refrig overnight. You might want to try it to see if you like it.

Actually, the recipe for water is 2 parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen. Dr. Oz is just adding flavors to it.

That's why they put the quotation marks around "recipe," obviously . . .

Party pooper! :grumble:
  • rockbass
    rockbass Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My heart tries to bleed for you: and then it doesn't. For gods sake get a tiny bit real - not the OP of course, well done for you for making these steps and I do wish you well and hear where you are coming from; but anyone bothering about the taste of water (and I've only heard it it from US people on this site so far), please be a touch more aware...

http://www.wateraid.org/uk/what_we_do/the_need/207.asp?gclid=CJKM1Ie_lbQCFSTLtAodFTwAhQ

Maybe you could donate some of what you spend on diet soda and Mio and Crystalite and other crap to people who really need actual water?

I don't like steak without A1 and butter. Got a charity I can donate to?

www.peta.org :bigsmile: