Smoker?

Options

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    How do people actually get into smoking ever since the 90s it's pretty much common knowledge it's suicide...

Exactly. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but maybe this will be motivating...

My aunt had a mini-stroke at the age of 36 and was a 2-pack a day smoker... Of Reds, no less. Her doctor told her if she didn't quit smoking she would be dead in 5 years. So she switched to ultra lights. She, quite literally, dropped dead at the age of 40 because she didn't quit smoking. She had a heart attack. At the age of 40. She was at a healthy weight and ate relatively healthy. A "bad habit" killed her. Did I mention she was only 40 years old?

That's why I'm glad my uncle quit. I only have one other uncle left on that side
  • christinekry
    christinekry Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Here is the Allen Carr book:
    http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

Here is another powerful read: Never Take Another Puff by Joel Spitzer
    http://whyquit.com/joel/ntap.pdf
  • sparnell1988
    Options
    I've never heard about the drinking baking soda. I bet that does taste aweful. Another thing I did after I quit just to try and help out was I always carried a pack of mints. I honestly think that it helped a lot too. One mint... about 5 mins.. one cigarette about 5 mins. So thats one other thing to think about for a possibility. If you get an urge eat a mint lol
  • margiea7
    margiea7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I smoked from age 12 to 40, and was up to two packs a day. (It went hand in hand with editing for long hours and drinking coffee by the bucket). I'm not the type who usually responds well to "self-help" books, but like others on here, I quit successfully after reading Allen Carr's book. Haven't had a smoke for over two years now. So I recommend the book.

My only other advice - it helped me to be in a completely different environment for the first few days. I went and stayed with my brother's family. I took one cigarette with me and smoked it on the first evening I was there, knowing it would be my last. Being away from my usual smoking "zones" at home and having a break in my routine made it easier to quit.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I just quit a week and a half ago. In just that time I've been able to add weights to my lifts - I jumped rope for 3 minutes without feeling like I was dying (I considered going for 5 minutes....).

What worked for me was plain-old willpower. I have been on a 12-week weight-training program, and have gotten so used to telling myself "NO" that I decided to apply the same concept to cigarettes. I tried using Zyban, but the side-effects were so bad that I just couldn't take it anymore. So I quit cold turkey. Yes, it's tough...but it isn't as tough as I thought it would be. Not to mention how AWESOME I feel about myself for being able to say no when I get cravings...which DO happen.

Congrats on your decision to quit!

Congrats to everyone that HAS quit!

To anyone that doesn't smoke and has never smoked - don't judge. You have NO idea what it's like.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I usually smoke between 14-28 grams per week. ...Well lately I've been vaping and baking so I guess I'm a cheater. Gotta keep them runner lungs!

:drinker:
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I quit using Chantix. I smoked 1.5-2 packs a day for @10 years, and then cut back to a pack every 2-3 days for another 9 years. Quit 12/2/09 and haven't looked back. Yes, it was hard, but it was so worth it. I also have lost @45 lbs. since then and can run for an hour non-stop so whoever tells you quitting smoking causes you to gain weight is wrong. You do have to replace your oral habit with other things, like sugar free gum or life savers, and straws and toothpicks were a necessity for me for awhile. You can do it!
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Quit about 3 1/2 yrs ago. Was trying to quit for 5+ years before then. What worked for me. Cut out first of the morning smoke for a week or two, then cut out after breakfast smoke, then before work smoke, then mid-morning, etc. etc. Kept cutting till I was only smoking at night. Tried Chantix two times. First time the dosage was too high and it made me feel awful. Second time w/ 1/4 the dosage worked like a charm. Quit for 6+ months, but started again due to the stress of stuff. Finally one Sunday night, ran out of smokes and said that's it -- I'm done. That was about 3 1/2 years ago.

If you are into support groups and boards, check out http://www.quitnet.com

Good luck!
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I smoked a pack a day for 15 years...quit cause i got pregnant and it just made me sick...determined to not start again after I give birth cause i KNOW how hard it is to quit... good luck!!!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I just decided I wanted to quit and I did. I stopped going the places I went to get them and changed my route so I didn't pass them, stopped going places where people smoke and stoped being around smokers. I stayed busy and kept a pen to chew on. I did have cravings and I still do and it has been 2 years and 2 days. I did gain weight and that was when I found MFP. Just keep watching what you eat and exercise like you have been doing and you will be fine.

Good Luck, it is the best thing you will ever do for you.
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options
    I smoke an e-cig. And instead of getting more cartridges, i refill the ones i have already. I have like 30 flavors, and havent smoked for almost 6 months. i love smoking, and this is a great alternative.

I recommend www.themagicmist.com
    they make compatible parts for most cigarette style models, The Mirage is a model of the Mistic cig, and its GREAT.

Andwhen you are ready for some amazing tasting flavors of e liquid, try www.fuzionvapor.com

also you can do it permanently with juice with nicotine levels, or choose ever lessening amounts, to quit altogether. eventually you just have vapor, with no nicotine. suddenly you just... forget about it. its amazing.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    I was a pack (or more) smoker from when I was 18 to last year. I quit many times, including when I was pregnant. But always started back up, it was usually oh I can have just one..but that never worked for me. Finally a year ago I went on Chantix..I was only on it for a month and I haven't smoked since..but I also started running (literally a month before I quit I could not run 1 mile) But when I quit I signed up to run a half marathon the following spring (6 months later) and trust me running is hard enough, but you add smoking?? UGH!! That is what helped me keep the cigarettes away..my husband still smokes (all though not as much) and a lot of my friends do..i can be around them no problem now. I am also running my second half marathon next month :) So find a good reason, and for me I had plenty..but running was what finally made me actually do it :) It has been 13 months!
    You got this!!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I don't condone littering, but when I decided to quit.. I literally threw my last pack and lighter out of the window on my way home one night.

Haven't touched one since.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    My friend was a pack a day smoker...then she got preggers...she quit cold turkey! Apparently being responsible for human life is a huge motivator! :P
  • AubreySue81
    AubreySue81 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I read Allan Carr's book as well. A couple of different times. It didn't work for me, but it has worked for many people. It's worth giving it a try. :happy: What have you got to lose, especially if you can check it out from a library? :happy:

I also tried Chantix. It didn't make me have really crazy dreams like some people have reported. But, my dreams were very vivid. I did not continue with the follow-up pack and ended up smoking again.

What really did it for me was joining a local MMA gym and starting up with their Fighter Fitness class. I was a pack a day smoker, for 14 years. And having to stop so I could breathe was really quite embarrassing (to me). Then I saw and paid attention to how much it was really holding me back in that class. After my free week trial at that gym, I quit. Cold turkey, never looking back and feeling great ever since! It really wasn't hard at all this time (for me). I'm now 10 months smoke free and LOVE the fact that I can run in the COLD and not have a coughing fit afterwards. :drinker: My point in all of this is that maybe it is just a matter of finding something you love (like the fitness classes for me).

Good luck and stay strong! :bigsmile:
  • mommycordillia
    Options
    I smoked at least a pack a day, sometimes a pack and a half, and when I found out I was pregnant I quit cold turkey..it was really hard especially since all my friends were smokers and they would come hangout then go outside to smoke and I'd be all alone knowing what there were doing. but if you put your mind to you, you can. .I have been quit since the middle of February (2012)...I still crave them, and a lot of times I'm like 'Holy **** I need a ciggerette!!!' but I haven't had another one since....
  • landersmegan
    landersmegan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you are going to be negative and judgmental you should refrain from commenting. When someone is asking for help and encouragement and you can't provide that, then say nothing. I'm sure most of us have enough negative influences without being put down in a community that's supposed to be supportive!
  • landersmegan
    landersmegan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How do people actually get into smoking ever since the 90s it's pretty much common knowledge it's suicide...

Maybe if you are going to be negative and judgmental you should refrain from commenting. When someone is asking for help and encouragement and you can't provide that, then say nothing. I'm sure most of us have enough negative influences without being put down in a community that's supposed to be supportive!
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I was smoking a pack a day and just quit one Sunday in 2003
  • HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    Going on five year quitter now...I was two packer a day...Now saving money