Anyone else dreading January?

Options

Replies

• FightingforFit82
    Options
    I go between 3-3:30am. There's never anyone there :)
  • BeanCounter3
    BeanCounter3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    nahhh...not dreading it. Might see somebody I know! the way i figure it, if knowing somebody there helps them come in a bit more often, well, then so be it! :wink:
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Not dreading January one bit. Looking forward to moving my fitness up a notch and hoping I can help someone else get fit like so many have helped me.

I live in a world where lines and overcrowding are just about everywhere. The seasonal upticks just mean people have money to spend and the economy is better.

It's all good.
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Really? People are hating on the OP for this? No WAY.

I'm with you.

My gym has a Zumba line a mile long on normal days... During Jan & Feb it's INSANE. Then it dies down.

Yes, I encourage other to feel good and am proud of those with the new years resolutions to get their a$$es to the gym. But YES, OP... it messes up my routine for about 2 months. I feel ya.

Sounds like you could try something other than Zumba. Maybe take the time to switch up your routine? I've heard there are other things to do at the gym besides Zumba.

Yes, I hear they have a device that allows people to actually walk.

Sorry. I don't go to the gym to do something I can do freely outside; anytime. Point of my addition was to agree with the OP. It IS super crowded. Many times you've got ppl standing off on the sides waiting for a machine. It happens.

Not a fan. Doesn't mean I hate all newbies. We were all newbies. I just dislike the crowdedness. Im in So Cal. It gets hot enough here without extra bodies. Oh well... haters gonna hate, I guess.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Nah. I go early enough that the resolutioners don't stick it out for more than a week, and for people who are going to become regulars, sweet, maybe I can find a gym buddy.

NOT the new guy who had EVERY dang piece of equipment in the squat rack today - EZ-curl bar, dumbbells, women's bar and regular bar - to do his #@! curls for 30 minutes. AND gave me attitude when I asked to work in with the dumbbells. He has now replaced "sit on the bench and drink coffee guy" as my nemesis.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm all for people trying to better themselves and get healthier, but yeah...I'm dreading January. I work/workout in an urban area with lots of office workers who are a prime population for fitness resolutions. I'm hoping the fact that I go at a really random time means it'll continue to be less crowded.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Really? People are hating on the OP for this? No WAY.

I'm with you.

My gym has a Zumba line a mile long on normal days... During Jan & Feb it's INSANE. Then it dies down.

Yes, I encourage other to feel good and am proud of those with the new years resolutions to get their a$$es to the gym. But YES, OP... it messes up my routine for about 2 months. I feel ya.

Sounds like you could try something other than Zumba. Maybe take the time to switch up your routine? I've heard there are other things to do at the gym besides Zumba.

Yes, I hear they have a device that allows people to actually walk.

Sorry. I don't go to the gym to do something I can do freely outside; anytime. Point of my addition was to agree with the OP. It IS super crowded. Many times you've got ppl standing off on the sides waiting for a machine. It happens.

Not a fan. Doesn't mean I hate all newbies. We were all newbies. I just dislike the crowdedness. Im in So Cal. It gets hot enough here without extra bodies. Oh well... haters gonna hate, I guess.

No I get you., totally!It would be a tragedy to go outside for a few weeks in January in southern California.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    You know that they help subsidize your gym costs, right? Your fees would be twice what they are without those folks.
  • ThePartyGoblin
    Options
    I signed up for a pilates class in January, and I'm HOPING it'll be filled with New Years Resolution people so I can sort of hide out in the crowd! Then after a while the herd will thin and hopefully I'll have the confidence to not worry about standing out!
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options
    It's gonna be a pain in the buns.
  • Samnug
    Samnug Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I actually don't mind it. It's motivating to see more people in there. And it is actually kind of nice to not be the most out of shape person in the Gym. My goal was to not be as pathetic post Christmas this year as I was last year. I think the new faces and seeing people try to new workouts/trainers will be motivating!
  • gmpuggles
    gmpuggles Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Nah, I get to the gym early enough in the morning that I don't the problem with the equipment I like to use being over-run with a lot of people. Not sure what it'll be like on the evenings for my spin classes though.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Maybe they leave and switch to a gym with less a-holes who think they are better than everyone who joined the gym after them.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i work out early enough that even the regulars aren't there.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I enjoy January. It's nice to see all those people determined to start living healthy. Smile at them, offer a little motivation and maybe they'll stick around longer. We have all been in their shoes, which is also the reason we're all on MFP.

The parking lot is going to be full. OMG, you'll have to walk a little further. To your workout.
    The noobs aren't going to know what they're doing. Really??? Did you wake up and walk into the gym one day knowing exactly what you were doing? Kudos if you did.
    My class is going to be full. Yes, your @ss is more entitled than someone else's. Go ahead, tell them that their fitness is not that important.

Great motivation MFPers.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i havent actually been to the gym regularly since april or so - between the new work schedule and home stuff its been hard to make time. however, i plan on getting back into it in jan and will either be going early enough in the morning or late enough at night that i dont think ill see many more people than normal. im all for more people getting healthy, i just hope they can stick with it
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Nah. I go early enough that the resolutioners don't stick it out for more than a week, and for people who are going to become regulars, sweet, maybe I can find a gym buddy.

NOT the new guy who had EVERY dang piece of equipment in the squat rack today - EZ-curl bar, dumbbells, women's bar and regular bar - to do his #@! curls for 30 minutes. AND gave me attitude when I asked to work in with the dumbbells. He has now replaced "sit on the bench and drink coffee guy" as my nemesis.

HA! There's a group (like 4 people) at my gym that does some freaking program in the aerobics room a couple mornings a week- they wipe out the ENTIRE row of dumb bells on TWO racks from 10lbs-55lbs the entire time I'm there. I'm getting pretty fed up with it, I'm asking them what their damn schedule is, I'm sick of coming in on bi/tri or shoulder day and there not being ANY effing dumb bells.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    No, it's nearer to spring YAY!!!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i think its great that people atleast get an urge to try to better themselves. sure, for many, its short lived, but even if just 1 out of every 30 newbies stick with it, isnt it worth the small 2 week window of gym crowds? i mean, as a country, we are becoming a joke, as the country of morbidly overweight lazy americans... i think anytime someone wants to better themselves and their health, that its a good thing...
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I'm not dreading January, but that's probably because I don't look for ridiculous reasons to be pessimistic about the future. Life is good.