Is just running enough?

Options
13»

Replies

• Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Running is enough, but here is the thing, eventually you will need to add weights to get faster at the running... So why not start early?

:huh:

At what point?

Distance runners don't lift weights to make them faster. They lift weights to prevent injury so they can train consistently and it is this consistent running that helps them to improve.

Sprinters are a different story.

I was talking about sprinting :)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Running is enough, but here is the thing, eventually you will need to add weights to get faster at the running... So why not start early?

:huh:

At what point?

Distance runners don't lift weights to make them faster. They lift weights to prevent injury so they can train consistently and it is this consistent running that helps them to improve.

Sprinters are a different story.

I was talking about sprinting :)

:wink:

:drinker:
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    For the kind of body I want, running is not enough. Further, I'm in my late 30s and am starting to think about things like bone denisty and if I did zero weight training, basically my entire upper half would get very little weight bearing exercise and that's not good for bone health.
  • CoachSamB
    CoachSamB Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    So Beto, does that reply imply that you are fit AND short? Ahem... :)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    First: OP asked about health and fitness, not about weightloss. Two different subjects.

To the OP: You can be fine with just running but it's not encouraged for a lot of reasons. Most of them to do with imbalance. Too much stress in the same way with no break throws your body out of whack. It also limits your running progress (core training in particular is key to enhancing your running). Finally, as you age, strength training better protects your body than running. If you don't like weights at the gym, try some body weight exercises.

It's just like with food - diversity is key to keeping your body adaptable and functioning optimally.
  • JudySwims
    JudySwims Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Add swimming to get long and lean! Perfect compliment to running!

Ok so I got some friendly teasing about my "long and lean" swimming comment! Of course I didn't mean that it was possible to grow taller but many runners who swim seem pretty lean. I think the two compliment each other beautifully as far as strength 3, endurance and aerobic capacity goes. Feel free to see my pictures on my profile. Run, swim, bike, lift... its all GOOD!! :))))))