Anyone else dreading January?

Options
12346»

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I'm a little worried about how many feet of snow we will get in January. May end up getting all my exercise from shoveling instead of enjoying a run.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I'm dreading January because it is @!@!$#!@#%#@$^%!@$##!@ cold here in January.

^^^^ This!!

Sam here! I think I'll be one of the gym newbies this year. Need to get my swim training going, outdoor swimming in winter, in Chicagoland, is poopy.
  • teneh
    teneh Posts: 39
    Options
    Maybe they leave and switch to a gym with less a-holes who think they are better than everyone who joined the gym after them.

^^
  • iSurvive
    Options
    Go with a friend, take bets on who will last and who will not.

As for me.... nobody should see all this jiggle in public! I do you all a favor and exercise (or not as the case may be) in private. I would like to walk outside during the winter but I live in the frozen tundra, my snot literally freezes the second I step out the front door... who wants to walk in that?!?! :noway:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I love them......they make the gym less expensive
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I DO go at 4 am! Already it's starting, there were 6 people there this morning....
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I'm totally psyched about January! I like Christmas but I'm already exhausted from it and I'm looking forward to things being normal. Plus, my PTO and floating holidays at work start over which means I can start taking 3 day weekends again just because. I want to. AND, I'm excited that I started my 2013 New Year's Resolutions in July of 2012 which makes me way ahead of my usual self. :bigsmile:

As for a crowded gym, the thought honestly never crossed my mind. But my gym is usually pretty crowded anyway at my usual time.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I'm dreading it just a bit, but I've gotten into the habit of not going during the rush, so I generally have a pretty free run of things for the most part.

I don't expect too much resistance, and maybe I'll even get to help some people out in the process, haha!
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    I'm dreading January because this will be my first winter in 20 years... I'm scared to death. They tell me this white stuff that somewhat resembles ash will fall from the heavens and cover the grounds in a substance that will make me fall on my posterior if I try to walk on it. They tell me that the temperatures will drop to below the freezing point of water. Well I'm made of mostly water, HELL YEAH I'm dreading January. All the water in my body is going to freeze, someone's going to bump me, I'm going to shatter into a million bitty bits, and blow away in the wind.

I'm looking forward to the gym in January. It's more girls than guys that flock the gym, and girls mostly flock to the cardio and avoid the free weights. Maybe if they see me lift, I'll gain a few converts, and I won't need to plan days where I might need a spotter around my BF's availability!

Edit because: Don't let the "winter clothes" in the picture fool you. THAT was Sacramento. It was about 50 degrees that day. I REALLY REALLY REALLY don't like the cold.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Trying to get all my good workouts in this month, because in about 3 weeks the gym is going to be overrun with New Year's Resolution newbies. Then, after about two weeks, they'll see that their shadows aren't getting any smaller and go back home, like Punxsutawney Phil.
    Doesn't bother me a bit as long as they don't get in my way while I'm curling in the squat rack.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMsa_QtyPxO6V-l8wfGCEshISnG2BsZsL0R-dLoFr2oRJI3kdW
  • mjhedgehog
    mjhedgehog Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I workout at home so I don't really care. where I work its right next to a gym and most of the gym goers park where our employees park so I suppose that will be annoying if I can't find a spot to park I guess. but Im not too upset about it. :ohwell:
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    TBH I'm more frustrated by the fact that I can't go to the gym on boxing day. Don't they know wednesday is a weights day for me! lol.

I don't work 9-5 so I mostly avoid this dreaded time of year because I work out mid-morning when the gym is empty. Early morning swimming may become people soup however...

But there is the great outdoors and body weight training to be getting on with.

'The Kingdom of Gym is inside you, and all around you, not in mansions of wood and stone. Split a piece of wood and I am there, lift a stone and you will find me.'
  • nakiarhall
    nakiarhall Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I welcome anyone trying to get healthy. Oh and I dread the snow also (Michigan)
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    delete
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I DO go at 4 am! Already it's starting, there were 6 people there this morning....

I was a bit annoyed this morning this morning at a group of 3 women who took up a heck of a lot of space in a fairly small gym literally lying on the floor in the weights section gossiping about how sweating and making noises while lifting weights was "gross and yukky."

If that is how they are going to attend the gym, they are wasting their time and wasting space for people who don't use the gym as their social activity. When I want to gossip with my friends I go for a walk outside with them or for a coffee or a drink.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    'The Kingdom of Gym is inside you, and all around you, not in mansions of wood and stone. Split a piece of wood and I am there, lift a stone and you will find me.'

bows down
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    I dont mind busy gyms because:
    1. It wont last
    2. New members who keep paying but stop coming subsidize membership costs for everyone else
    3. Some of them will stick with it and I love to see new people begin healthy lifestyles!

I say help out a new member. If the equipment you need is not always available during peak hours, go at off peak times for a while