OT: Having a hard time getting a job.

Options

Replies

• dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Does your field have a professional organization that you can join? That could be a great networking opportunity. Also look for volunteer opportunities, another great way to network. Check out Vistaprint and get some business cards made up, so that when you meet someone and you give them a card with your expertise on it. Looking for a job is very proactive, not just sending out resumes. I was laid off 3 years ago and it took me almost a year to find a new one, looking for one was a full-time job in itself. Good luck.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I know you said people reviewed your resume, but what about your cover letters?
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    Yeah.. the market particularly sucks right now.

With a BA, substitute teaching, whether you want to teach long term or not, is a good way to keep yourself afloat while you look. You can choose the days you work, leaving yourself open for interviews in your field.

Employers have a weird mentality about preferring to hire folks that are already working, as they are proving that they can keep a job or some nonsense, so this takes care of THAT problem too. AND you get to sit back and go "Was I really that weird when I was a kid"
  • drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I have a Masters in Criminal Justice and 4-5 years of clerical and administratice experience and I cannot get an entry level court or police admin job. Jobs are few and far between right now. I understand where some people are coming from with a little more education, but with our economy, that almost seems to have hurt me. Instead of jumping into the field when I got my BA, I waited 3 more years and now I am in a deeper hole financialy and the economy is worse. I have struggled to even get a minimum wage job in the past. It is just not nice out there. I agree with going to a temp agency. They will help you out in a lot of ways. As little fun as it is, I know a lot of call centers are probably hiring tight now. It would at least get you money coming in while you search for a better opportunity. Also, go to governmentjobs.com and look in your area. All city and county jobs will be posted there and if you can get into a city job, you will be better off.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    You may need to find an internship until you can find a job. The internship could turn into a job even. I'm currently studying IT and will have four years work experience along with it but I'm finding that four years experience is either still too little or the bare minimum for a lot of jobs. For me certificates would be very helpful if I can't find a different job outside of college. I don't know what your degree is but certificates may be helpful too.
    I think you mentioned something about being an English/creative type girl and those are the HARDEST jobs to find especially right now.
  • amyc0128
    Options
    Just here for support, letting you know that you aren't alone it is hard to find work these days I have benn on and off again employed for the last 3 years and mostly off work. I found some work in temporary work here and there. Right now I'm starting a job with a company who is a contractor for IBM. I still say they are a temp agency even though they say otherwise.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    My suggestion: network like crazy. A lot of times in the job hunt, it's all about who you know. It may seem counter-intuitive, but start doing informational interviews with people. Make connections. Follow up. This could be a huge help for you down the road. If you have an in at a company and end up applying to an open position, let that contact know and chances are they will help you out.

^^this. Networking is key. Don't think it's okay to spend all your time job hunting online. Those jobs that you apply for online are often getting filled by someone who has already done some networking at the company. And I wouldn't worry about offending the companies with phone calls. At the very least call just to verify that they received your application. That way they'll get a message with your name that lets them know you're definitely interested in the position.
  • mud7
    mud7 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes! There is a publishing company that I'm in LOVE with. Like, it's my dream job. And I recently sent out an application to be the receptionist (who has no creative input. Solely there to answer phones and plan schedules.)

If your interested in publishing, I highly recommend attending a Publishing Institute. I attended the University of Denver Publishing Institute, and it was by far the best decision I have ever made. By attending, it sets up with the perfect network of professionals to get a job in the field, boosts your credibility, and looks amazing on your resume. Plus, a lot of publishers look for graduates from the Publishing Institute. I get job postings almost daily asking for a graduate from this school.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. I am a "Certified Employment Support Professional." When I'm not @ work...(shame on me for even being here) I will put in my 2 cents.
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My suggestion: network like crazy. A lot of times in the job hunt, it's all about who you know. It may seem counter-intuitive, but start doing informational interviews with people. Make connections. Follow up. This could be a huge help for you down the road. If you have an in at a company and end up applying to an open position, let that contact know and chances are they will help you out.

This +1

I have worked in recruitment for over 10 years, and I am always pushing the managers within the business for who they know, who have you met/worked with etc.

It is more difficult to make these connections at a graduate level, but make sure you are involved with networking events, have a decent online presence (eg LinkedIn) as examples.

Don't be afraid to go through unorthodox channels if needed too. By that I mean calling on relatives or friends to see if they know of anyone in the company you're interested in. A referral from a person within the business (should) always be treated with more effort than a general application - especially in these times of relatively high unemployment.

Really and truly - this is your answer. There are so many applicants for every position you have to find a way to stand out.

Create an awesome LinkedIn profile - use the apps, start a blog and link it to your profile. Find events on LinkedIn, Meetup and Eventrbrite. Connect with people, take an interest in what they're doing and build relationships. Successful networking is not fast, but it does work!

In the interim, offer freelance services ghost writing blogs or writing website copy.

It's tough, but hang in there! Good luck! :-)
  • moonpieto
    moonpieto Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Having a bachelor's degree you could do substitute teaching....
  • BiggyFuzz
    BiggyFuzz Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a head hunter?

Use careerbuilder.com , apply to jobs, most of them are posted by headhunters. Once you apply, you'll get a call from them and they'll ask more about your background etc etc.

Once they have a profile, then they'll submit you for jobs.

But still apply like how you normally do.
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Not to scare you from a master's degree....however...

I have a BS in Finance, a BS in Accounting, and a MBA with a concentration in Finance.

I worked for one of the largest discount brokerage firms in the US for 15 years before having to move for my daughter's health. I have been applying to about 5 jobs a DAY since June 1.

I am told I am over qualified and over educated and they don't want to "risk" hiring me only for me to leave for a better opportunity when the economy recovers. I need a job with benefits like health care!

So my most recent tactic...I have taken ALL my degrees but the most relevant BS degree to the job posting OFF my resume. With 100K in student loans this makes me SICK, but I need a job - yesterday!
  • Grandmasboy2852
    Options
    I'm not posting this for sympathy, I just need to get some things off my chest and hopefully someone can offer me some advice / motivation / support :smile:

I graduated in May with a B.A. and job experience relative to the jobs I'm applying for (about 4 years total experience). Thing is, I haven't heard back from any jobs and it's been months. All the jobs I applied for I'm either qualified for or OVER qualified for.

I know about application etiquette, like you should follow up after a few weeks of sending in your application, and after you get an interview you should send a hand written note. But all the jobs I'm applying for specifically say, "Follow ups are not necessary and will not be returned" or "No phone calls, please," so I obviously don't want to annoy the employer, but I want to convey that I really want the job. How am I supposed to know what I'm doing wrong if they won't reply back?

My resume has been reviewed by previous employers and my professors from university, so I don't think that's the reason.

To top it off, I'm back living with dad who constantly complains that I wasted $100k and that I'm unmotivated, blah blah blah. I really don't know how to improve this situation. I've even applied to minimum wage jobs and would be happy to have them. I think the stress of being unemployed is also affecting my attempts to lose weight.

I received a good education, have job experience, and a good personality. Is there something more I can do to make myself stand out? Any advice would be appreciated.

Only thing I can say is stay persistent.
    When I was looking for a job I applied EVERYWHERE! (Probably more than once)
    Been on tons of interviews (over 60 - no exaggeration) and second interview and thirds. Probably had a 2 - 3 % success rate for job offers. But if you want it badly enough you will apply apply apply
  • alaliberte
    Options
    HI! I hope you read this because I think I could help. If you just graduated and you need some experience go to your local Workforce Center. They are usually county facilities and they can help you get internships, on the job trainings and other related services. If you are 14-21 they usually have a youth program...I'm thinking you might be a bit older than that if you went to a four year school but the other services apply.

this is where I work: www.wfbc.org and we are located in Boulder, CO. There should be something similar out where you are. Good luck. And tell your dad to step off...young adults have it tuff in this economy. Adults are taking traditionally entry level positions for new grads because there is not a lot of work.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I was in your exact position before I finally got my current job last year. After graduating college, I applied for jobs for 6 months before going back to school (advertising portfolio program). After graduating the second time, it took me almost 2 years to find a job despite and internship, interviews and tons of applying. I split my time between applying to field relevant jobs and just any job I could do no matter the pay. It took a longtime to find BOTH.

You have to just keep trying. In the meantime, find things to do. Give yourself small projects and tasks. Doing that will fill your free time. By doing so, if you're like me, you may even come up with other avenues of making money relevant to your skill set. I suggest this to everyone in that boat because I learned it's probably the best thing I did for my mental health during that time...

Also, it doesn't help to revise your resume and however else you apply to jobs. For my field I have to have a portfolio of work. I reworked my portfolio multiple times and was able to improve my craft which lead to much better meetings even before I received a job offer.

I don't know your field but also look at specialized job sites. Most of the most relevant jobs I applied for were on those websites. I did apply for jobs on the normal sites but many of those were just, "I need a job and I think I'm qualified so I'll apply."

Feel free to message me if you'd like to talk more. I didn't want this to get too long. I'd be more than happy to help because I know the feeling all too well. Sometimes thinking back, this past year is still kind of surreal to me :)
  • craftycatlady
    craftycatlady Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just another voice chiming in to offer you support. I graduated with a BA in 2009 (admittedly, in the humanities) and am still doing the same kind of retail work I did to pay my way through college. I only got my current part time retail position because a friend within the company referred me. That's how competitive it is out there- people with BAs and even masters degrees and doctorates are fighting over the same, barely over minimum wage jobs. I worked at Apple for a year and a half - just doing sales and tech support- and almost everyone I worked with had a BA or an MA/MS. These are crazy times.
    I agree strongly with the networking advice. It's definitely "who you know" these days. As for me, at the age of 26 I have decided to return to my community college and pursue a degree as a Physical Therapist Assistant. After years of trying to jam my foot into the door of thousands of companies, I'm switching gears and going for a field in healthcare that is growing exponentially, even in my economically depressed state of Michigan.
    Hugs and good luck to you! You are doing all of the right things- I know something good will come up for you soon.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Rules are for people who dont have the initiative to think for themselves; they are sheep. Employers are looking for lions.

Register with LinkedIn and become involved with the community in which you have an interest. It is a very good way to get started and learn who the people are. You gotta ask.

Make contact with anyone in the target company and invite them to lunch and question this person about the key people in the organization. Ask about the industry. Ask about professional organizations and upcoming professional events.

Investigate trade organizations & see if there is any opportunities to volunteer for any reason for functions. Check into internships.

Gleam the media for trade shows (including LinkedIn) pertaining to your profession and do whatever you have to do to attend. Once there be a predator and stalk the aisles, take notes, pass out business cards, set up a Vcard in your phone, carry a bag so you can pack literature.

As a potential employer I want those who will make my job easier. I am looking for someone who stands out from the crowd. I have hired more than a few who irritated me with their persistence. Let the rejection roll off your back and advance your agenda.

Be assertive, be aggressive, be motivated; take every advantage of your limited opportunities. If you cant run with the big dogs stay under the porch. Remember, rules are for sissies and employers want warriors.

Feel free to contact me.
  • YoYo1951
    YoYo1951 Posts: 370
    Options
    While reading these posts, it is pretty frightening. One of the posters put something about only getting a chance to talk with the front desk person. Never underestimate the first person you contact when looking for a job. Secretaries and support staff can make or break you. If you don't impress them, you will not go any further in your search
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    bump