any success on Dr. Oz 3 day Cleanse?

Options

Replies

• formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    "I also believe that our country needs to focus more on preventing health issues rather than treating them."

Great, but I don't see how cleanses accomplish this.

The body does a good job of processing waste on its own if you eat well. No good comes from forcing your body to push out so much waste with so much frequency. Doing so can cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive system.

About Dr. Oz: Yes he is a cardiac surgeon, but he is not an expert on everything. He is not a nutritionist or dietician. He has no expertise in healthy weight loss, proper nutrition and exercise. He promotes another weight loss product on an almost daily basis. About the only weight a person loses long term with these gimmicks can be felt only in the wallet. Meanwhile, I wonder just how much money Dr. Oz receives for pushing these products.

If you're going to spend money on weight loss, you are better off spending it on a consultation with a reputable nutritionist or dietician and maybe a gym membership or a trainer.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Wow. I didn't know people felt so strongly about Dr. Oz. I'm not some moron who listens to everything I hear on "the TV". I also have no expectations of using a cleanse for weight loss. I was just hoping to hear from people who have tried it.

Not a bunch of condescending comments about how it is foolish to do a cleanse, or how Dr. Oz is a quack. He is a heart surgeon, and I understand what pseudo-science is.

I also believe that our country needs to focus more on preventing health issues rather than treating them.

Oh and duh clean eating is the answer, however easier said than done.

I like him too and think he has a great message! And easy on the eyes:) Plus, he is prob. way more educated than all the people who are making thesebremarks. He is a medical doctor and surgeon after all.

A great cardiac surgeon does not a nutritionist make.

Unless he starts doing "Dr. Oz's Heart Healthy Hour", you're essentially watching a show where he endorses the highest bidder.

And yes, I'm a total moron for not wanting to "cleanse" my body with quick tricks and gimmicks. It's too bad I don't have organs that do the job for me!

Honestly, what do you think you're going to do in three days that will be helpful the next week and the week after that?
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Bump, gotta read the rest of this tomorrow when work gets slow.
  • readbooks25
    Options
    I had a great experience - lost 9lbs. and feel wonderful. Got rid of junk and have been able to curb my eating since then. I am not craving as much, and it reset my emotional ties to food to focus on shakes those three days. It was also a good opportunity to take care of myself and enjoy a bath and "me" time.
  • Hets99
    Hets99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't really understand the negative comments either. How is this different then eating clean? It isn't. Instead of putting it all on a plate and chewing it you blend all the whole fruits, veggies, good fats in a blender and drink a smoothie. You still get all the inherent nutrition fiber and protein that you would if you prepared them differently. For most people it's also the same amount of calories they try to eat in a day, so there is no risk of going into starvation mode. Because of the amount of unhealthy food most of us have eaten all our lives doesn't it make sense to every once in a while strengthen the organs that have been trying to process it over all those years, And again even if it that doesn't do anything what's wrong with focusing on eating only whole foods and vegetables along with some good fats, protein and amino acids for three days? Isn't that what most of try to do anyways when we are trying to lose weight and be healthy??
  • leholcomb
    leholcomb Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    How did this work out for you??
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    The all knowing Quackmaster grabs another victim with his quick weight loss diet gimmickry!

^^This.

Considering his qualifications, it's a shame he's gone over to the dark side.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Yes I've been successful..................................................................................making sure that none of my clients buy into the BS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    You will only need to cleanse if your liver and/or kidneys are shot.

If they are, I am sorry. :(

My kidneys are jacked up, and even I don't need a "cleanse" like this.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    :indifferent: Gimmick.
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I think Dr. Oz got his degree at Wal*Mart, they sell them next to the Little Debbie Snack Cakes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Reguardless of what you think of Dr. Oz, he has helped lots of people lose weight who might not otherwise have done so. What's wrong with that?
    Not to kid you, but ANY DIET if followed will help people lose weight. All have one thing in common........calorie deficit. Now what's wrong with it you say? Well Dr. Oz did have HCG on is show with a Dr. promoting it. If you know nothing of it, then know now that it's an extreme way to lose weight (500 calories a day and no exercising). Do you see not see anything wrong?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I think Dr. Oz got his degree at Wal*Mart, they sell them next to the Little Debbie Snack Cakes.

Looked him up once. He's a real doctor. Cardiac surgeon. University of PA med school, I believe. But somewhere along the line he for into this "alternative medicine" which for some things is ok, but he's crossed the line into hawking stuff that is useless or downright dangerous, particularly in treating serious health issues. I know he's given some bad advice on diabetes.

The best person from whom to get.medical advice is your own doctor, not some celebrity on tv.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    The all knowing Quackmaster grabs another victim with his quick weight loss diet gimmickry!

This ^^^
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Reguardless of what you think of Dr. Oz, he has helped lots of people lose weight who might not otherwise have done so. What's wrong with that?

He's helping people ruin their metabolism while simultaneously lining his own pockets, so NO.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Why do people cleanse?

I thought that was the bodies job. That is it's primary function. No? I mean, all your organs are filtering for you. I think someone told me they like to clean out the filters. But, the body is an organism, not a static filter. It cleans itself without your help. LOL. At least, that's what I'm going with.

you is smart
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Why do people cleanse?

I thought that was the bodies job. That is it's primary function. No? I mean, all your organs are filtering for you. I think someone told me they like to clean out the filters. But, the body is an organism, not a static filter. It cleans itself without your help. LOL. At least, that's what I'm going with.

you is smart

1gmaf_zps61e5d9f0.gif
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I have lost 100lbs within the last year and I was asked recently if I was using Dr. Oz's Green Coffee Bean Diet. When I replied that I was simply eating healthy (most of the time) and exercising, this Dr. Oz fan proceeded to tell me that I was doing it wrong:explode: She said, "diet and exercise are uneccessary because Dr. Oz says HIS green coffee beans suck the fat right out of your body." :noway: Suck the money out of your wallet is more apt. :laugh: I don't know or care about his former credentials. He is a sellout, among many in the diet and fitness industry,
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz, steering people wrong everyday. He's a wh0re.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Wow. I didn't know people felt so strongly about Dr. Oz. I'm not some moron who listens to everything I hear on "the TV". I also have no expectations of using a cleanse for weight loss. I was just hoping to hear from people who have tried it.

Not a bunch of condescending comments about how it is foolish to do a cleanse, or how Dr. Oz is a quack. He is a heart surgeon, and I understand what pseudo-science is.

I also believe that our country needs to focus more on preventing health issues rather than treating them.

Oh and duh clean eating is the answer, however easier said than done.

I have a reputation for being snarky. I will attempt not to be, since you are clearly offended and not wanting to listen to people you feel are insulting you.

Dr. Oz is indeed a heart surgeon. Which means that is what he knows. Hearts. This is not the same thing as a doctor who specializes in weight loss. He is claiming expertise in an area outside of his degree.

Hence the virulent hatred, especially considering he is using his credentials to pander his goods and making good, thinking people like yourself believe he's any different than any other snake oil salesman.

He's not. You don't need to cleanse. You don't even need to eat clean. Eat less, move more. Or Eat more and lift heavy, if that's your poison. Drastic measures such as this, elimination of foods (I try to maintain a low sodium, low glycemic diet because of several medical conditions.), should only be reserved for those who have serious medical conditions. Everyone else could be harming themselves.

I am not a doctor. I am not a nutritionist. But I do spend too much time reading things and following up on them. And frankly, every time somebody posts with the words 'have you tried-?" I cringe. I really do. Partially because it inevitably about one of these gimmicks and the ****storm that follows.

Forget he's a doctor. If he wasn't a doctor, would you try this? If the answer is no, then there ya go.