Books! I love books

Options

Replies

• ekkand
    ekkand Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'm into weird, kind of twisted books. Mysteries and thrillers about stuff that not everyone really likes to read about.
    The book I'm reading "The Lie" is crude and written how a normal person would think. That's why Im into it. He also wrote a book called "The Average American Male" which is hilarious as well.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.

Have you seen the movie yet. The book is definitely better (as always) but they did a pretty good job with it.
  • ekkand
    ekkand Posts: 592 Member
    Options

How rude. Some of us have more of a sense of adventure and humor than you do apparently. Go back to your Harlequin Romance books and leave us alone.

One can have a sense of adventure and humor and still hate this trilogy of watered-down WTF.

Books are like the opinions about them. There are thousands and to each his/her own.

I second the Gone Girl recommendation.
    Also Mrs. Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs.
    The Hunger Games Trilogy
    Life of Pi
    Classics by Victor Hugo and Henry James.
    I've read Mrs peregrines home for peculiar children and the hunger games. Both great books
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I reccomend the following:

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

And Lehninger's Principles of Biochemistry, current edition
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options

How rude. Some of us have more of a sense of adventure and humor than you do apparently. Go back to your Harlequin Romance books and leave us alone.

One can have a sense of adventure and humor and still hate this trilogy of watered-down WTF.

Books are like the opinions about them. There are thousands and to each his/her own.

I second the Gone Girl recommendation.
    Also Mrs. Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs.
    The Hunger Games Trilogy
    Life of Pi
    Classics by Victor Hugo and Henry James.

Well yes you are correct. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but to be so blatently rude in dissing something that someone else has said they enjoy isn't necessary. That's MY opinion.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series is amazing also!.

I've heard this is really good. I better check it out. Is there a sequel to it too?

There are 3 books in the series. The second two, I think, are much different than the first. Not better or worse, just different. I loved them all.

Awesome, this may just be the next series I read!

Be warned the first chapter is difficult to get through but the book in it's entirety is well worth the read. I'm glad I pushed through the first chapter (boring,slow). I thoroughly enjoyed the entire series and watched the movies in Swedish when I was finished.
  • MsMarlaMae
    MsMarlaMae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I enjoy fantasy books usually, here are some of my go to's:

Lord of the Rings Trilogy (one of my all time favs)
    Anything by Brian Lumley http://www.brianlumley.com/
    Big Fan of Brent Weeks http://www.brentweeks.com/
    I also *adore* Salvatore. http://www.rasalvatore.com/

I read Twilight, was fine mindless reading.
    I read Hunger Games, was pretty decent for a dystopia series
    I refuse to read 50 Shades of anything, as a kinky mutherf*cker who is active in the actual BDSM world, those books are a terrible representation of what it is that we do.
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    I love all books! From classic novels to Dean Koonts. I love them all! My room is basically walls of bookshelves lol
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    My goal is to get at least the second Hunger Games book done by the end of year. I hope to read everything on my shelves next year. LOL.

It was prepossessing, but lacked verisimilitude.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I can't two good none butt I read them 50 shades books. I like when the guy touches the gurl and it makes me feelz all tingly and such. Best series evur
  • AmyJMadison
    AmyJMadison Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Historical, adventure, fantasty and a bit of romance. Not eveyone's cup of tea but I really loved it.
  • aadutton
    Options

I've heard this is really good. I better check it out. Is there a sequel to it too?

There are 3 books in the series. The second two, I think, are much different than the first. Not better or worse, just different. I loved them all.

Be warned the first chapter is difficult to get through but the book in it's entirety is well worth the read. I'm glad I pushed through the first chapter (boring,slow). I thoroughly enjoyed the entire series and watched the movies in Swedish when I was finished.

Have you seen the American movie? I have (it was okay, they changed the ending, wtf)...just wondering if the Swedish movies are really much better. If they're also just "okay" I'll probably pass.
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    The Harry Potter Series
    The Ranger Apprentice Series
    Lee Child's Jack Reacher series (about 5 of 17 in)
    My wife loves the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evonovich
    I love books by John Grisham, Michael Crichton, John Steinbeck and David Hlberstam.

Two quick reads from when I was a kid, but still ring fresh, Green Eggs & Ham and The Giving Tree
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm in a book club. We're on our second month, and our second book. First book we read was "Dead Sleep by Greg Isle". This book was amazing. From start to finish, I just couldn't put it down. The second book picked is "City of Bones, by Cassandra Clare", so far NOT my favorite. Trying to read it as fast as I can :)

23087067.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options

I haven't really gotten much into bestsellers lists... Mostly I just ravage my town library for anything that sounds interesting. I would read ketchup packet labels if it came in a book to be honest! :blushing:

This is so me! I will read anything well maybe not but mostly anything! I love to read!
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    OH. And for you Stephen King fans out there, if you haven't read The Talisman, you are missing out on a beautiful piece of literature. It is written by King under the pseudo Peter Straub.

Nope, it was written WITH Peter Straub. He's a whole different person. And yes, it's a great book. Black House was kind of disappointing though.

If you're in the mood for funny, I have to recommend Christopher Moore. He's hilarious.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I can't two good none butt I read them 50 shades books. I like when the guy touches the gurl and it makes me feelz all tingly and such. Best series evur

EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson

The Passage by Justin Cronin
    The Twelve by Justin Cronin

The Prodigal God by Tim Keller

Just finished The Twelve and got my coworked hooked on The Passage. Both great books!
  • nayers86
    Options
    What are your favorite books?
    I just decided before the year is over I will read all the books on my bookshelf that I have never read. I picked one yesterday and I'm about 40 pages away from being done. Only 4 more books to go!

Hahaha either I'm tired or overly innappropriate, I saw this on my home page and thought it read "Boobs! I love boobs"

Sigh....is it 5 pm yet?