Books! I love books

Options

Replies

• cmotting
    cmotting Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    This is my kind of post!

I LOVE to read :)

I love anything by Jane Austen, but my favorite is Persuassion.
    The Hunger Games books were ridiculous. As in I couldn't stop reading them and am in love with Peeta.
    The Book Theif. That is a stellar, stellar book.
    I really like old literature, Anna Karenina, Jane Eyre, those types.
  • 75Juniper
    Options
    Alice Hoffman writes amazing stuff. I also find interesting books by perusing the Kindle Top 100 Free list every so often. I've found a lot of incredible books that way - things I wouldn't normally purchase, but I give it a shot because they're free and they end up being favorites of mine.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    AH, books, such wonder in them. When I was little my parents use to ground me from reading instead of tv because they knew that would cause me the most torture. I don't know how many times I was put in detention in school for reading instead of listening in class or doing my work. Oh well, screw them I still love books.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

When I was grounded, my parents made me stay downstairs with everyone, with no books!!! hahaha
    I LOVED going to my room and just reading... for days. haha My brother would get grounded to his room and that was torture for him because he wanted to be around everyone. For me, I loved being in my room reading, so I was "grounded" to the living room. hahaha
    Never heard anyone say that had that same punishment before!!! hahaha :happy:
  • IokiOcto
    IokiOcto Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The Passage by Justin Cronin
    The Twelve by Justin Cronin

Re-reading The Passage right now so I can move on to The Twelve.

Also LOVE series novels...Deadlocked, Harry Potter, The Dark Tower & The Kingkiller Chronicles (Patrick Rothfuss is the man!)
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    The latest read I totally fell in love with was
    Just Break Up by DaniD
    gives some of the best relationship advice ever.....\m/
  • grawrrrr
    grawrrrr Posts: 336
    Options
    The next person to say Fifty Shades of Grey or Twilight were well-written, amazing series of literature is getting the virtual ***** slap.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Just Break Up by DaniD

You just gave me a benevolent idea!
  • NotSoBigNeil
    NotSoBigNeil Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Anything by Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Richard Laymon, James Herbert and that ilk. Love to read but finding the time lately is difficult :(
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Here's a few that I've read this year:

When in Doubt, Add Butter - Harbison, Beth - Chic Lit
    The Next Best Thing - Weiner, Jennifer - Chic Lit
    Where We Belong - Giffin, Emily - Chic Lit
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Skloot, Rebecca - Nonfiction (very interesting)
    Same Kind of Different As Me: A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art Dealer, and the Unlikely Woman Who Bound Them Together - Hall, Ron, Moore, Denver - Nonfiction (best book I read all year)

Love books!!!!
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    The next person to say Fifty Shades of Grey or Twilight were well-written, amazing series of literature is getting the virtual ***** slap.

Just for the record, I never claimed Fifty Shades was well written, but it WAS very entertaining.
  • tlacox1
    tlacox1 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I would have to say that Cormac McCarthy is my favorite author. His book, "The Road" is amazing; as are his others. Now, the movies that have been made from his books are HORRIBLE! So much of his books are based on thoughts in peoples' heads that you can't capture that in a movie.

Best mystery novel? A good ol' classic; Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None". Awesome book. You won't figure out who did it, I promise you. Just make sure you read what appears to be an author's note at the end or you will be lost!

Of course, any of the classics; Charles ****ens, Thomas Hardy, Jane Austen, etc. I could go on and on for days!
  • raelorien
    raelorien Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The Poisoners Handbook by Deborah Blum was excellent.
  • grawrrrr
    Options
    The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.

Have you seen the movie yet. The book is definitely better (as always) but they did a pretty good job with it.

I'm dying to see the movie!!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Just Break Up by DaniD
    No matter how much you kiss her *kitten*, she's still not going to go out with you.

Give it a rest, Jackpot.
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series is amazing also!.

I've heard this is really good. I better check it out. Is there a sequel to it too?

There are 3 books in the series. The second two, I think, are much different than the first. Not better or worse, just different. I loved them all.

Awesome, this may just be the next series I read!

Be warned the first chapter is difficult to get through but the book in it's entirety is well worth the read. I'm glad I pushed through the first chapter (boring,slow). I thoroughly enjoyed the entire series and watched the movies in Swedish when I was finished.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind!

I second this recommendation - the first 50 pages of the first book are hard, but so, so worth it...just keep going. The Swedish movies are great and the US 1st movie is good too (very true to the book).
  • grawrrrr
    Options
    The Jessica Darling Series by Megan McCafferty.

edited for spelling mistake
  • tlacox1
    tlacox1 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I would have to say that Cormac McCarthy is my favorite author. His book, "The Road" is amazing; as are his others. Now, the movies that have been made from his books are HORRIBLE! So much of his books are based on thoughts in peoples' heads that you can't capture that in a movie.

Best mystery novel? A good ol' classic; Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None". Awesome book. You won't figure out who did it, I promise you. Just make sure you read what appears to be an author's note at the end or you will be lost!

Of course, any of the classics; Charles ****ens, Thomas Hardy, Jane Austen, etc. I could go on and on for days!

Oh, and how could I forget a more modern writer by the name of Wally Lamb! His writings are really out there but man are they good! Two of his books, I read recently; "This Much I Know Is True" and "She's Come Undone". Both were really good!
  • CRichards22
    Options
    Bump for reads later! :o)
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Just Break Up by DaniD
    No matter how much you kiss her *kitten*, she's still not going to go out with you.

Give it a rest, Jackpot.
    just wait and see, the book will be made....stop hating Lea :flowerforyou: \m/
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options

Just for the record, I never claimed Fifty Shades was well written, but it WAS very entertaining.

I don't know how they ever got an accolade! It was an abhorrence of bad scripting!