Treadmill Etiquette?

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It's sort-of poor etiquette- but there's enough reasons (like TV and favorite machine) that I don't think anything of it.

If it's Sunday, and the Eagles are only on one TV in the place, you better believe I'll be up in your grill if I need to be to see the game. Also, I have a favorite machine- there's something wrong with the electronics and it doesn't auto shut-off after an hour and all the other ones do. Bonus, it electrocutes you a little if you get lazy and try to lay your hands on it while it's on. So basically, its everything I dream of in a treadmill. I'll go next to someone for that one too.

Also, there's a lot of treadmill racers out there. I LOVE treadmill racers, but I never do it to other people. These are folk who run somewhere around your speed, get on the machine next to you, and through an unspoken agreement, you race. Most people hate racers- I find it amps up my workout a few degrees, but to be clear....I don't do it TO people...but I'm generally one of the faster runners at my gym and I get a lot of challengers.

ETA: The only thing that REALLY bothers me is when there's a bunch of treadmills open, and someone with really bad BO gets next to you. Farting I can forgive. Overwhelming BO makes me feel like I can't breathe. So what do you do? suffer it out? Move to another treadmill (which is SO obvious that you're moving away)? Never figured out the protocol for this one.
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    When I'm picking a cardio machine THIS is what I'm looking for:

A machine that doesn't clunk, squeak or catch at weird spots.
    A good view of a TV playing a show I like to watch, AND a functioning sound system.
    I'm weird and I don't like air blowing directly in my face, so I avoid the spot by the doors, the fans, or under vents.
    I like the machines with working heart rate monitors. I'm a data nerd, I like seeing numbers.

Note that no where in my preferences does a human fit into the picture. If you happen to be next to a machine I want, I don't really care. If you don't want to be next to a person, and it bothers you to the point where it's disrupting your workout, move. And relax, I'm not staring at your monitor, I couldn't see it if I tried, given that I take my glasses off when I get sweaty. And also: I'm not going to try and race you. I could give a snot less. Usually, to entertain myself, I'm adjusting my own hills and speeds to make pretty pictures in the little dots on my screen. Worrying about you ruins my simple entertainment.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    So....commercial treadmills cost $1000 plus, and you pay $30 a month for your membership, and the other person pays $30 a month for their membership, and somehow you feel entitled to more than one treadmill at a time? like you get your treadmill, and all the treadmills that can be connected in a straight line to yours are now off limits to everyone else?

Is this like the Chinese Checkers Rule of Treadmills or something?
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    So....commercial treadmills cost $1000 plus, and you pay $30 a month for your membership, and the other person pays $30 a month for their membership, and somehow you feel entitled to more than one treadmill at a time? like you get your treadmill, and all the treadmills that can be connected in a straight line to yours are now off limits to everyone else?

It's more like the dude-next to-dude movie theatre rule. I forget what that's called- an ego seat or something.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    what the hell man. if you are so concerned with space when you're on the treadmill then get your own and work out at home.

i know all the machines and equipment in my gym like the back of my hand now. i know which treadmill is my fave, 2nd fave, 3rd fave etc. same goes with the bikes, stairmasters, etc. you better believe if my fave one is open then i'll take it. i dont care if a family of 5 is one side and an entitled gym goer is on the other side of me.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

It's more like the dude-next to-dude movie theatre rule. I forget what that's called- an ego seat or something.

Whatever for that too. I have a favorite spot to watch a movie just like you have a favorite treadmill. Especially with the stadium seating in theaters these days, that sweet spot is small. So the theater can be dead empty except for you and your SO, but If you sitting in my row or sitting above or below my row by 2 seats to the right of center, you best believe I'm coming your way.

But I'm cool about it. I'll share my popcorn
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I had 2 chicks once get on treadmills on opposite sides of me walking and carry on a conversation over me while I was trying to run. THAT was rude. Initially there were no open side-by-side treadmills, but one opened adjacent to one of them within the first few minutes. After a while I asked them with enough politeness as I could muster to have the one girl move next to the other one. You would have thought I kicked her puppy. She moved though, after making an exaggerated scene of writing down the calories and mileage like I was really cramping her style.
  • emmagreenie
    Options
    I tend to agree with most of the others, as you go to the gym more often, you will learn which specific pieces of equipment are your favorite. At my old gym, half of the bikes and treadmills faced out a window, and half didn't. I loved looking out the window while I worked out, so I would stick to those machines every time (and I had one or two favorite machines that I would try to take no matter who was working out next to them!)
  • futurestarz
    Options

no. i was just wondering if this was an unspoken rule at the gym, because I noticed the trend of people not grabbing treadmills next to the other. I don't think it is like Chinese checkers, but thanks for inferring.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    For me, personal space is arms length. I wouldn't expect more than that. You are in a public space. On the other hand I have moved to different equipment when someone was next to me that smelled like a goat.
  • futurestarz
    Options
    what the hell man. if you are so concerned with space when you're on the treadmill then get your own and work out at home.

i know all the machines and equipment in my gym like the back of my hand now. i know which treadmill is my fave, 2nd fave, 3rd fave etc. same goes with the bikes, stairmasters, etc. you better believe if my fave one is open then i'll take it. i dont care if a family of 5 is one side and an entitled gym goer is on the other side of me.

Sooo, I said I was just wondering. Not assuming anything. That's why I asked. It was because i dodn't want to be breaking some unspoken rule of the gym when I end up taking a machine directly next to another person. Like I said, I'm very new to this. Thanks for your friendly and helpful response :)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    People do that at my gym all the time....everyone has "THEIR" treadmill...the one they like and maybe its placed closer to the TV that has "THEIR" news station on in the morning (or whatever the reason).

It does bug me sometimes, but I've honestly learned not to pay that much attention to them,...its just a quirky part of people's routines...:ohwell:
  • seanlilly
    seanlilly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me! Wow I thought it was really wierd when it happened but I'm laughing cause that happened to me as well.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Unless the person in question is leering or making inappropriate comments etc you have nothing to complain about. He (or she) pays the same fees you do to use the gym......
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    If you really want to mess with someone like that...get there just before them and then get on THEIR treadmill...:noway:

I once saw a guy stand in the gym for a full minute with his mouth open looking totally lost because someone else was on "his" elliptical (even though there were no less than 8 other identical machines open in the same row). :laugh:
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's an unwritten rule, but I think it has to do with personal space. Mine is quite large and I've come to realize that I am uncomfortable without some sort of buffer zone in public places! I know others who have no idea what I'm talking about 'cause they are the opposite of me and will go straight to another person no matter what/where the situation! Maybe it's just a bit of OCD on my part, I'm trying not to be the crop duster or crazy 'old' lady scaring kids off her lawn! :laugh:
  • redcon1228
    Options
    I could care less about someone taking the machine right next to me. What I don't want is them to TALK to me as they walk leisurely along at 3mph and I'm stuggling up an 8% grade on the hill program, while trying to watch Sportscenter.

For that reason, whenever I go to the gym, I have my ipod headphones in-- no ipod with me, though. I just tuck the cord end into my pocket and *boom* instant alone time.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Unless the person in question is leering or making inappropriate comments etc you have nothing to complain about. He (or she) pays the same fees you do to use the gym......

+1
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    While I really hate it if someone picks a bathroom stall right next to me in a public restroom when there are tons open, I really don't care about treadmills. There are so many factors that play into treadmill choice - some gyms have different models and someone may prefer one model over the other. The TVs at the gym often have different things on and maybe someone wants to be close to a particular TV. Heck, maybe being next to someone is motivating for them?! When using a gym, I go under the assumption that there will be lots of other people using the equipment right there with me.

Now, someone standing behind me being impatient would make me want to add time to my workout too. Just like an obnoxious tail gater makes me want to slow down... usually I just move over and let them bother someone else though.
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I used to get offended when someone would choose a treadmill next to mine when there's no one using them (there's about 20 in a row) but then I realised there's a row of TVs on the wall and they are probably just choosing a treadmill in front of the channel they want to watch. No one's ever tried to talk to me so I'm presuming they aren't trying to be creepy!