Replies

• Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    I don't see the problem here.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Ok, I LOVE me some salad, but my favorite dressing is ranch...and that ruins the whole healthy concept of the salad. So, what are some good dressings to try? I've done fat free Italian...not feeling it.

Hahaha...As SOON as I saw this post, I knew you were from AL. I could tell by the ranch dressing and when you said "love me some". Anyway, try making your own ranch dressing using ranch seasoning packet mixed with plain greek yogurt and a little ff buttermilk. It's good and healthy too.

Hahaha! We're a whole different breed of people! And thanks for the tip, I will try that!

Yes...I live near Huntsville, AL. :)
  • greenpointmoni
    Options
    I make my own dressing. a tablespoon of olive oil, two tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette, a spoon of dijon and a spoon of honey. delicious. i usually have to tinker with it and add more of one thing or another to get it right.
  • kendallggaylor
    kendallggaylor Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't see the problem here.

Ranch is loaded with calories...and I like to use lots of it.
  • kendallggaylor
    Options
    Ok, I LOVE me some salad, but my favorite dressing is ranch...and that ruins the whole healthy concept of the salad. So, what are some good dressings to try? I've done fat free Italian...not feeling it.

Hahaha...As SOON as I saw this post, I knew you were from AL. I could tell by the ranch dressing and when you said "love me some". Anyway, try making your own ranch dressing using ranch seasoning packet mixed with plain greek yogurt and a little ff buttermilk. It's good and healthy too.

Hahaha! We're a whole different breed of people! And thanks for the tip, I will try that!

Yes...I live near Huntsville, AL. :)

Oh ok! I live in Etowah county, so about an hour from Huntsville!
  • Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options

You could still use ranch, maybe reduce the amount you use at one time? Portion controlling the dressing might be better if you are "addicted" to it.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I just have Ranch.

*shrugs*

Me too :) Just eat it!
    If you like cottage cheese, I use that also, I can use way less dressing if I need to.
  • lizb59
    lizb59 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Here's a healthy recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/healthy-homemade-ranch-dressing-251351
    Watch the 'Fat Free' varieties. Lots of sugar!
  • kendallggaylor
    Options
    Ok people....I am not actually "addicted" to ranch dressing, I just love it.
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Have you tried buying the dry mix (Hidden Valley Ranch is classic) and mixing it up healthier? Maybe with some greek yogurt?

I read about that! Do you know if it tastes the same?
    It doesn't taste the same :sad: but it is still pretty good! FF greek yogurt and mix some dry ranch mix to taste.
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Here's a healthy recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/healthy-homemade-ranch-dressing-251351
    Watch the 'Fat Free' varieties. Lots of sugar!

I'm seconding this. Fat free products frequently use a lot of added salt and sugar to compensate for flavor. Think about reducing your portion, replacing it with something healthier, or learning to make your own.
  • Chikipiwi
    Chikipiwi Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hope this helps, taste like the real thing...

Protein Ranch Dressing: (Serves 4)
    1 Cup Cottage Cheese (Watch your label, sometimes low fat doesn't mean low calories and the regular cottage cheese is only a few cal. more)
    3-4 tsp. Buttermilk Ranch Dressing mix
    1/4 C. water (or milk if you prefer: Milk will add more calories) add more water if the consistency is too thick for your liking.

Add ingredients to blender and blend until smooth. (About 3 min.) Enjoy!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Try salsa mixed with some sour cream.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I make it myself with HVR Buttermilk recipe mix, low-fat buttermilk and light mayo. I add a little garlic powder and cracked black pepper. It tastes wonderful for about half the calories.

^This but I use Skim Milk and Low-Fat Mayo. Trust me, as a ranch lover myself, it's the same!
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Simply Dressed Light Ranch tastes good. Its not Hidden Valley but it works
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m17v4yB5Lq1qk17xvo8_250.gif
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I just have Ranch.

*shrugs*

Me too :) Just eat it!

Same here. I use the "old school" method of tossing the salad really well. That way you only use a small amount but taste the dressing in every bite.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I just started using Bernstein's Light Fantastic Parmesan Garlic Ranch, 2 tbsp is only 45 calories. It's not traditional Ranch, but it's the best diet creamy dressing I have found.
  • tbullock11
    tbullock11 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use Bolthouse ranch. It is a yogurt based dressing. It is sold in the cooler next to the salad in mt grocery stores.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Keep the dressing, just use it sparingly. No need to turn a salad into soup.

Salads tend to be high in fiber, and if you throw on vegetables and fruits, they also become high in vitamins and minerals.

Many vitamins REQUIRE fats to aid in absorption. So, they should be eaten with fats to ensure you get them!

Additionally, combining fat and fiber will help lower blood cholesterol.