Losing motivation. Easier to just give up.

Options
2»

Replies

• prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I think if you stick with the classes, you'll get results. You'll see improvements in your strength and endurance. You just have to understand that it takes months, not a few weeks, to get anywhere

But if you really don't enjoy it... why are you doing it? Find something you enjoy! Real life isn't the Biggest Loser, you don't have to kill yourself every day to get results. If you decide you like the class, or that you think you'll grow to like it, keep at it. But there are many many people here losing weight doing less extreme things

Good luck! Find something that makes you happy!
  • Lady_Gwendolyn
    Lady_Gwendolyn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input and motivation, I really appreciate it... I have actually been on MFP since Jan 2011 (if you want to read my story it's on my profile on here, I think it's public?) but I am new to the whole interacting on here and making a profile. I initially downloaded the app on my phone to scan in my foods and update my food journal, which really helped me understand how many calories I was consuming and how to limit my intake, and only fuel my body with just that FUEL, not junk food and sugar. I cut out soda and processed foods, ate organic healthy veggies, fruits, proteins... and less of my kryptonite: baked goods. That paired with Cardio: Elliptical 30min, then 45min, then 60min & weight/strength training got me down 30 lbs in a few months before my wedding, then the honeymoon came and I splurged.. I mean ate all the delicious amazingly tantalizing meals and came home and did the same and just continued our new happy life together just doing whatever I wanted. Which I'm sure you can see what happened.. I gained ALL the weight back and 2 lbs more.. so THAT sucks.. so here I am, almost a year later, re-starting this journey.. and I know that same combination of watching calories and cardio + strength training works.. but it wasn't working very fast this time around, before it would just fall off.. at about the healthy rate of 2lbs/week. I've read a lot, educated myself a lot on the process so I know what's good/what's bad but that knowledge and will power does not always win over my compulsive cravings. I am a slave to satisfying the immediate. It's horrible and I know it.

I am a former tri-sport athlete and one hell-of-a swimmer.. but that's also how I messed up my shoulder.. but I use that as an excuse to not swim very much, that and a handful of other stupid excuses that I can't even write... So that's why I wanted to do boxing, I've always wanted to do boxing and husband and I enjoy watching UFC and we went to a live fight night for his birthday a few weeks ago, it was awesome! I LOVE THE BOXING PART! The bag work and the technique is stellar and even if I just did that it's enough of a cardio where I would get results, I LOVE THAT. But the warm up, I can barely survive! All the conditioning, up-downs, burpees, mountain climbers, ab work... the running... the jumping up on those bench things.. I just can't do it. Literally my body isn't strong enough, so I get discouraged.. but I LOVE the actual BOXING part.. and that's what you should do right? Is exercise with something you love... it's just starting out.. well you know.. everyone has to START somewhere.. it's just so discouraging because I want to do more but my lame-o body protests!

I know the inner athlete is in there somewhere, she comes out when she wants to get intense...but mostly my weakness holds her trapped...

So here's what I'm going to do... I'm going to add MORE Cardio Elliptical w/ strength training until I get that endurance and strength up so I can free my inner athlete in those boxing classes ... but I don't want to give up on boxing either because the combination of cardio + large muscle movements and strength at the same time is going to give me the fastest results... so I will still try to do boxing once.. maybe twice a week... in the beginning... I don't want to give up.

I don't want to quit.

I want this.

More than anything.

LIFESTYLE CHANGE...

NO MORE YO-YO and going back up....

but I have to get back down, and get that health back, get this fat shed and then becoming a boxing beast... I do think it's exhilarating, the actual sparring or bag work and all the actual punches being thrown... you get in this zone of amazing fierceness.. I just want to have the stamina to stay there & squash that voice inside telling me I'm so freaking tired, and hurting and to stop, and you're too fat for this, everyone is judging you and saying why is she here, why is she in my way, why is she not doing the movements like the rest of us.. quitter.. you can't keep up, just leave.. you're too fat for this.. who do you think you are...

I hate that voice. Shut it!

Ok ending rambling...

I've never posted on here before, and I never expected so many would write back, or that anyone would find this post... I guess I just needed to vent my inner turmoil.. but wow thank you all for your motivation and time to actually care and write me back.. It's inspiring.. and to see your success stories.. it really is AWEsome..

I hope maybe one day I can be a success story..

that seems so. far. away.

4116086.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    So i've been boxing..well trying these intense conditioning power hour classes for that combined cardio and strength training at the same time effect jillian michales always boasts about doing....and I have no stamina or strength it's so discouraging I just want to stop and cry.

Husband and I joined a boxing club recently  and while he is great at it and can keep up and is getting results..I just finished my 2nd class and it's just too damn hard.  I had abdominal/pelvic surgery a fe weeks ago but I'm cleare to exercise by the doctor but I keep using the recovery from that as a crutch. An excuse. My incisions are healed, they won't burst open or anything...but today I couldn't do any flippin an work because of the stupid inside pain area for why they did the surgery in the first place.  Last time I was *****ing about my shoulder hurting because I messed it up when I was on swim team...and every time I do these intense workouts the lame excuse of my "sports induced asthma" keeps popping up...and I keep feeling the need to express all my excuses to someone..well husband is the only one I know there so I annoy him. Gah I just hate being THAT GIRL who is so out of shape that I'm slowest, and cants keep up with all the mountain climbers and burpies like the other girls who are ripped and like 110lbs. It really makes me feel like that is just a dream. It's never been me..maybe close but that was a long time ago..but I feel and fear it never will be even though it's one of the things I want most for myself and for my family. I want my health back so I'm not always the one with all the medical and health problems. I'm so sick of doctors offices and hospitals and surgeries.. I just want to be healthy and fit, and stick to that lifestyle so I can live a long and healthy life with my family...

But we use food for everything emotional. To celebrate. To mourn. To comfort us. For cheering up. For rewarding and treating ourselves.

Cravings and the need to satisfy the immediate always win over my week will power.

Ugh 

There is just so much work ahead of me and I know "oh you have to start somewhere" well starting really sucks. It's so much easier to just give up and go eat some baked good or whtver I'm craving.

But what is easy is not always wht is right/good/health.

This is so damn hard.  

Wow, please stop torturing yourself. If the classes are not suited to you it's not mandatory that you do them. You have to walk before you can run my dear!!! Walk on the treadmill, do some low impact aerobics, swim, try zumba, do yoga, hike, bike, pilates, lift weights. Do anything...but find something YOU like and will stick with. This does not need to be torture. If boxing it's hubbies thing well awesome. It's not yours, he'll get over it.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Um, 3 weeks to recover from surgery? Unless it's the most minor surgery in the world, I'd take it easy w/ some less strenuous activities until you heal up. And when you heal up, maybe in a couple more weeks, do some exercise that you actually like enough to continue doing! (Advice from someone that had major surgery...)
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Girl You seem to have the same mindset I do... Which is really hard, and for me anyways has made healthy living a pain in the butt... You have the All or nothing mindset.

Healthy living as a lifestyle is not an all or nothing thing... So kickboxing isn't tripping your trigger right now... Switch to something else... Maybe try belly dancing... LOTS of fun trust me... and I'm not one to use 'fun' and 'exercise' often together in the same sentence. Sure an hour of belly dancing isn't going to burn as many calories as an hour of kickboxing... but it sure burns more than an hour of doing nothing!

Same with Diet... So you just can't stomache drinking ANOTHER organic, vegan, 100% natural meal replacement shake that tastes like licking the bottom of a dirty fish bowl and you REALLY want to have a baconator from Wendy's Make a large spinach salad topped with a few pieces of bacon crumbled up... happy compromise.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble with these super intense classes, I would just stop. There's absolutely no need to do those to lose weight. People have lost weight with no exercise and/or brisk walking. Do something that you enjoy and/or are good at. Try out a few of the classes at the gym and a few of the machines until you find one that you like.

I would try focusing mostly on your calories and eating healthy for now - this is where the majority of the weight is going to come off.

Also, It takes at least six weeks to recuperate from surgery. sometimes more. I broke my shoulder once and it took a year to get flexible enough to exercise with it.

Definitely don't do exercise you hate. I don't like any of those machines except occasionally the bicycle so I do Zumba instead. I love the dancing and music and I end up working harder than I think I can do.
  • 4jamaica
    4jamaica Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would switch to a different exercise. Keep trying new exercises until you find something that is pleasantly challenging--by that I mean that you feel like you had a good workout the next day but don't dread going back. If you dread going back, you're not going to stick with it. Also, don't underestimate the impact that a teacher can have on your enjoyment of the class--ask who the best teachers are and try their classes even if you aren't sure about what they teach.

Also, don't beat yourself up if you switch your exercises up--it's a good thing to shock your body.
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of kickboxing and jiu-jitsu and all I can say is don't give up. Boxing is incredibly hard. You lose your breath and you think your arms are actually going to fall off. If you like it then just stick with it. Eventually it will get easier, but not really, since the better shape you're in the harder you can push. It takes time, but if you don't like it then maybe you should try something else. You'll never stick with something for the long haul if you hate it.
  • debbi426
    debbi426 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel now - I find myself there at times. The best thing to do is drink a tall glass of water, envision how you want to feel at the end of the day. Lighten up on yourself - and take a deep breath! You can do this - I know because what I've read says you can do hard things. Keep up the good work and don't give up. You really do matter!!!
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Don't give up.....and don't compare yourself to anyone else in the class. Everyone is at different levels...and that's perfectly OK. When I started boot camp 3 years ago I was 80 lbs heavier and in horrible shape. I was always the last person to finish a round of exercise or a run. I was pretty self conscious about it but I soon realized that no one else in the class really cared that I only did 1 burpee when they did 10 or that it took me 15 minutes to run a mile when they could finish in 6. As long as I was giving 100% effort that was what mattered - not that my 100% wasn't the same as someone else's 100%.

Find something that you love to do and give 100% of YOUR effort and you will succeed!!!!!