If you have to cut your workout short...

Options
13»

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I do not ever cut the workout shorts they are too expansive. Under armor

HAHAHA I almost didnt get it made it more funny
  • salubriousliving
    Options
    is this any different from someone trying to lose weight rather than build muscle? thanks in advance
    No. You should lift if you are trying to lose weight to maintain the muscle mass you already have. You won't build muscle on a calorie deficit.
    thank you! ^.^
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    I'm glad I read this thread. When I face this problem, I kind of go with what my body wants more, but maybe I should be more exact with staying with my lifting. Another thing I do though is make up my cardio is by not walking my dogs, but running with them those evenings.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'd cut the cardio...I do cardio mostly for overall fitness and heartheath; I have a deficit built into my caloric goal for weight loss and fat burning. It's the strength training that will replace that burnt fat with muscle and give you the composition.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Depneds on what I have going on. If it's a running day I'll do intervals or hills.

If it's a lifting day I'll do a set of power clean, and then 1 or 2 other compound lifts. I'm usually pretty wasted after that anyway.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I would hurry up and lift a compound as heavy as I could possibly rail out.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Lifting would always be a priority
    Now here is my conundrum. My goal right now is to lose as much fat as possible while maintaining lean muscle mass. I need the cardio for the quick fat loss, but need the weights to help prevent as much muscle loss as possible. Hence, the reason I opted to cut them both short, but still do both.
    Who else-and WHY are you choosing the cut the way you are?
    You lose fat at a calorie deficit. You're body is constantly burning fat.

Always, always cut the cardio if you have to cut something. That's the best way to get the body you desire.

Just my advice.
    She knows what she is talking about.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    id rather not run than cut it short
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    After lifting, I'm too screwed to be doing an hour of cardio. At best, 10 minutes of HIIT.

Time to step up your lifting, perhaps?
    If you're able to do 10 minutes of HIIT, then you didn't have a true lifting session. HIIT, real HIIT is very taxing.
  • spetermann190
    spetermann190 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Only cardio I do is to warm up before lifting ... about 10 minutes ... I can do without it
  • hugamorg
    hugamorg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Although cario is important, also remember that muscle burns calories even after you stop working out.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Only cardio I do is to warm up before lifting ... about 10 minutes ... I can do without it

^This, except I probably do even less than 10 minutes.
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I do not ever cut the workout shorts they are too expansive. Under armor

they sure do have stretch...

yeah but mine didn't fit then when i started losing the weight lol....

one of the bad things about losing weight is losing your favorite workout compression gear..though a small price to pay for all the energy, feel good, ,etc. lol
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    do a 20min hard interval cardio session on the bike (or cross trainer if you have to) then lift.

Disagree...Don't waste the energy on cardio before lifting. Start your lifting light and move up in weight (shouldn't require more than 3-4 sets to get there) until you reach your 'work' weight. Warming up through doing the lifts you're going to be doing is better than cardio.

As to the OP...if you have to sacrifice anything, make it the cardio. Muscle repairing itself is going to require more energy and burn more calories than you will from the time on the treadmill or whatever.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

All of my lifting is barbell lifting, so I warm up with just the barbell and then gradually add weight to warm up. Doing this also reinforces form, so I'm also getting the benefit of increased volume of the movements.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    After lifting, I'm too screwed to be doing an hour of cardio. At best, 10 minutes of HIIT.

Time to step up your lifting, perhaps?

This is me as well. The only way I can do cardio on lifting days is if it's hours apart.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I recently quit doing long cardio sessions and do shorter HIIT sessions and have had better results. So if I were going to save time I would recommend trying this
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I try to do 45 minutes of lifting 3x a week. If I can't get to the gym anymore than that, I'll walk or do some kind of moving around at home (jogging or a video or something). If I can get there more I'll do 20 minutes of HIIT 2x a week. That's it. If you get on a good program you really don't need more than that.