Addicted to Ranch Dressing...HELP!

Options
1235»

Replies

• tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Wanna know whats awesome on veggis and stuff? The "holy trinity": Olive Oil, Lemon Juice (or Vinegar) and salt. This is low in fat, high in flavor and brightens any dish.

Olive oil is high in fat.

High in fat, but very healthy..much more healthy than bottled dressing.

Fat doesn't make you fat anyway.
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I use Hidden Valley Light Ranch.

Its good stuff, 1 serving is 31grams (which is more than enough for 2 cups of shredded lettuce). 80 calories, 4 grams of fat, 3 grams of carbs. Its really no different than something thats supposedly healthier like Newman's Olive Oil and Vinegar.
  • threeonethree
    threeonethree Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Regular ranch is so good on salad. I have tried lite versions but they have a disgusting aftertaste. :\ I had to purge ranch from my fridge.

My go-to salad dressing is Ken's Lite Caesar. It's spicy/tangy and about 60-70 calories per serving. (nothing like ranch unfortunately)
  • CristyMusicLovr
    CristyMusicLovr Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I love ranch also but I only have one Tablespoon because I think about the calories of 2 and its so not worth it! You could be eating a fruit that's way yummier and sweet! lol and it also has to do with the amount of salad you are serving yourself because thats why you crave more dressing because you see that one spoon of ranch doesnt cover that big salad (I know because I am a ranchaholic also!) So I serve my self about 1.5 cups of salad and add one Tablespoon of Regular ranch...you could also add a little water hehe it works!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Wanna know whats awesome on veggis and stuff? The "holy trinity": Olive Oil, Lemon Juice (or Vinegar) and salt. This is low in fat, high in flavor and brightens any dish.

The OP is worried about calories... Fat doesn't make you fat but it has a lot of calories that contribute to the getting fat part. The person responding to you was pointing that high fat means high calories.
  • fwankiesgirl
    Options
    I didn't read through all the posts, but thought I would give a tip :) One thing that will cut way down, but feel like you are getting a lot, is to get a small side dish, and put the serving of ranch in it. Make your salad and what have you. When eating you dip (not scoop) your fork in the ranch, you get some with every bite. You'll see that it only takes about a tablespoon to get through your salad, but not sacrifice the taste of ranch.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    OPENING like others said enjoy it just use less. Like others suggested cutting it with something else to make it more helps, I personally add a lot hot sauce to my salad with my ranch.
  • gogoyubarino
    gogoyubarino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    oh i LOVE RANCH ON MASHED POTATOES!!!!! SIMPLY DIVINE!

Hahaha, ME TOO! It's a killer!

Literally!
  • soleilxo
    soleilxo Posts: 202
    Options
    I dont know if you'll like this but just today I bought a light honey mustard dressing...and its really good. its from bolthouse. i think that it is just as good as ranch and its 20 calories per tablespoon AND has only 60 mg of sodium (if you care about sodium :p)
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Ok, I LOVE me some salad, but my favorite dressing is ranch...and that ruins the whole healthy concept of the salad. So, what are some good dressings to try? I've done fat free Italian...not feeling it.

i am a ranch addict myself... i do have it once every 2 weeks, but other than that, i use either oil and vinigar, or, for an even lower cal option, i add pomaganate seeds to my salad, and the juice and taste that is released from the seeds does wonder for a salad!!!
  • TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Like others have said ranch mix plus plain greek yogurt. A much bigger serving and less calories.
  • erica1649
    Options
    Hi Kenall,

Do you happen to have a Whole Foods Market around you??

There is an all natural dressing its called Tessames (and I buy it sparingly because it is six dollars a bottle) but it is delicious. I use just one tablespoon (the ranch is 110 cal and the sesame ginger is 100) and put it over baby spinach, arugula, or the mixed greens (about two and a half cups worth) and it is plenty for the salad.

The best thing about this ranch is its not creamy, but more of an oil and vingegar and spices combination. Like I said, the price is kinda steep for the size bottle, but it is worth every penny. Definitely give it a try. I'm hooked. Also, don't be frightened by the way it looks. Because it is all natural, the oil solidifies when its in the fridge so before using it, just run the bottle under some warm water or just take it out for a bit before using and its just like new.

Enjoy!
  • baboz
    baboz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Is the peach vanilla salad dressing a product you buy or a recipe?
  • baboz
    baboz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Former hidden valley addict. I switched to a peach vanilla salad dressing soo good and great marinade on chicken

Is the peach vanilla salad dressing a product you buy or a recipe?
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    try to find some recipes and make your own, with plain yogurt and some spices, can be a healthier alternative.
    i am addidted to the naturally delicious chipotle ranch it is crack.
    i tried to find ranch packets but they all have msg in them :/
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options

The OP is worried about calories... Fat doesn't make you fat but it has a lot of calories that contribute to the getting fat part. The person responding to you was pointing that high fat means high calories.

olive oil is healthy fats
  • derekjnichols
    derekjnichols Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When I saw this topic- I could only think of this video:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/taste-test/1359559/

vlcsnap-2011-10-02-19h04m30s51.png
  • kendallggaylor
    kendallggaylor Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When I saw this topic- I could only think of this video:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/taste-test/1359559/

vlcsnap-2011-10-02-19h04m30s51.png
    Yeah, ummm....that's exactly how it is...