Bums! Squats

Options
I have been doing squats an my bm is really starting to take shape accept for the very bottom, I'm not very educated when it comes to body mucles apart from the obvious . How do I work the very bottom part of my bum I'm doing weighted squats and lunges abut nothing is working?

Replies

• Gunsentry
    Gunsentry Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Try changeling bar position.

High bar engages the quads and glutes.

Low bar engages glutes and hamstrings (posterior chain).

You will need to change form for the different positions.

Else you can work your hamstrings on a machine.

hamstrings connect to your lower butt and that's what you want to exercise...
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Sumo db squats make my *kitten* hurt! ... um bodybuilding.com has a ton of exercises to target specific areas
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Thankyou ill look at that now x
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I have that same issue I feel that part killing me after lunges.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

Is this true? I thought muscle engagement was dependent on depth, not bar position.
  • HotMummyMission
    Options
    I have that same issue I feel that part killing me after lunges.

I so squats an lunges babe and its like its caved in because my maximus is taking shape so much I look odd hahah x
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I agree also with the Bodybuilding.com -

My legs routine (currently)

Jump rope (3 sets of 100)
    Smith Squats superset with jump squats (3 sets of 10-12)
    Weighted Walking Lunges (3 sets of 10 per leg)
    One-leg press superset with deadlifts (3 sets of 10-12)
    Leg Extension - Dropset (heavy weight for 12 reps, reduce weight for another 12. Rest. Repeat for 3 sets)
    Leg curls Superset with split squats (3 x 10-12)
    Weighted calf-raises (3 sets x 12)

I've noticed MUCH improvement in the way my behind looks! :)

What has also worked:
    Box jumps
    Switch Split Jumps

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU & YOUR TUSH!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

Is this true? I thought muscle engagement was dependent on depth, not bar position.

That's what I thought too. The deeper you go, the more of your hamstrings and glutes you work. If you only go to parallel or above it's mainly quads. Since I go deeper on high bar as that's more comfortable, it would mean that my hamstrings/glutes get a better workout that way.

To answer the OP, I have found deep squats, lunges and deadlifts to be very effective for the glutes!
  • HotMummyMission
    Options
    I agree also with the Bodybuilding.com -

My legs routine (currently)

Jump rope (3 sets of 100)
    Smith Squats superset with jump squats (3 sets of 10-12)
    Weighted Walking Lunges (3 sets of 10 per leg)
    One-leg press superset with deadlifts (3 sets of 10-12)
    Leg Extension - Dropset (heavy weight for 12 reps, reduce weight for another 12. Rest. Repeat for 3 sets)
    Leg curls Superset with split squats (3 x 10-12)
    Weighted calf-raises (3 sets x 12)

I've noticed MUCH improvement in the way my behind looks! :)

What has also worked:
    Box jumps
    Switch Split Jumps

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU & YOUR TUSH!

Yu are a superstar thanks and I can't get to the gym no1 to mind the little one so I have to make do with at home work outs x
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    lose body fat.. ur *kitten* will grow as a whole much like any other muscle.. ofcourse there are different exercises that stimulate different muscle fibers blah blah blah, but in the end if your body fat % is low and you work the muscle then you should have it show well.
  • HotMummyMission
    Options
    lose body fat.. ur *kitten* will grow as a whole much like any other muscle.. ofcourse there are different exercises that stimulate different muscle fibers blah blah blah, but in the end if your body fat % is low and you work the muscle then you should have it show well.

I d t really wanna lose much more body fat I don't wanna be ripped I just want to be toned an still be snugly I lost 28lbs an my bum completely went flat now it's getting shape again but my minimus I think it's called is NIL :(
  • Gunsentry
    Options

That's what I thought too. The deeper you go, the more of your hamstrings and glutes you work. If you only go to parallel or above it's mainly quads. Since I go deeper on high bar as that's more comfortable, it would mean that my hamstrings/glutes get a better workout that way.

To answer the OP, I have found deep squats, lunges and deadlifts to be very effective for the glutes!

The low bar position changes the centre of gravity and you need to engage your posterior chain fully (hamstrings are engaged more that quads) to get out the hole (bottom of squat).
    High bar the quads are the dominant muscle group driving the squat up.

Both bar position engage all the muscles but the low position the hamstrings play in more.
  • rcalvert1
    rcalvert1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Try wide stance squats, plie squats, bravarian one-legged split squats, barbell step ups, hip bridges, and hamstring curls on an exercise ball.
  • Gunsentry
    Options

The low bar position changes the centre of gravity and you need to engage your posterior chain fully (hamstrings are engaged more that quads) to get out the hole (bottom of squat).
    High bar the quads are the dominant muscle group driving the squat up.

Both bar position engage all the muscles but the low position the hamstrings play in more.

To clarify the hamstring involvement during the high bar: the descent occurs, the knees flex acutely at the bottom in the hole, the ascent begins with zero hamstring tension due to knee flexion, as the knee angle opens the hamstrings can receive tension, and there is hamstring tension during the ascent. Note that this tension is not a primary mover due to the torso angle.

In contrast, the low bar squat maintains tension throughout the descent, creates a stretch reflex to “bounce” off the tense hamstrings, and then utilizes the hamstrings to extend the hip. During the ascent, the quads obviously extend the knee, but they help create balance around the knee so that the hip drive doesn’t tip the torso forward (the torso obviously needs to maintain it’s angle out of the hole). Since this style of squatting is dependent on the hamstrings, the body’s positioning — particularly the knees — is much more important. If the knees shift forward at the bottom, then hamstring tension will decrease and will result in no bounce whatsoever.
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges KILL my knees (usually to tears by then end of the first set) Any other suggestions?
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Sumo db squats make my *kitten* hurt! ... um bodybuilding.com has a ton of exercises to target specific areas

These are my favorite for my bum!

Also split squats and single legged dead lifts.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    deadlifts
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges KILL my knees (usually to tears by then end of the first set) Any other suggestions?

Are you sure you are doing them with good form?
  • Katy_G2013
    Katy_G2013 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    bump