Increased calories=gained weight

Options

Replies

• Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Strangely I have found the total opposite. i started on 1200 which was fine in the summer, I lost a fair few pounds very quickly then it slowed and stopped. I used to eat back any calories through exercise ( or do exercise to have extra calories for a few drinks at weekend) I have now adjusted the settings to lose only half a pound a week and this now gives me 1390. I have already have lost a lb in just over a week. I also feel happier having just that extra few calories a day to play with also.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Since you had a lower calorie amount, THIS is what has happened:

1. Your body depleted glycogen energy stores in the muscles
    2. Your body got rid of the water that stored that energy
    3. Since you upped your calories, your body was able to restore some of the glycogen stores
    4. In storing those, it had to retain more water
    5. Processing more food also requires more water

You didn't gain fat. You gained water.

Shorter people and people with less to lose have to go slower with weight loss or they do interesting things to their hormones (which will effect their daily energy expenditure greatly) more easily than those that are larger.
    ^ This x 100
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    For a 5' tall, 63 yr old, sedentary female-

Caloric Need:
    Estimated Base BMR: 1112 Calories.
    Estimated TDEE: 1334 Calories.
    Estimated Daily Caloric Need For Weight Loss: 834 Calories.

then you should not aim for 20% below TDEE instead of 1lb/week so 80% of your TDEE will give you 1067/day, assuming you do no exercise. If you exercise your TDEE will be larger and 80% of that will be more than 1067
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options

3. Since you upped your calories, your body was able to restore some of the glycogen stores

Shorter people and people with less to lose have to go slower with weight loss or they do interesting things to their hormones (which will effect their daily energy expenditure greatly) more easily than those that are larger.

Apparently when you explain things clearly like this people just ignore and continue to dialogue based on opinion.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

God I love this kid!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

and for further emphasis

http://www.justinowings.com/understanding-bodyweight-and-glycogen-de/
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Current weight and height are factors. As is age. Unfortuately our metabolism tends to slow with age. 1200 may not be a good number for you if you are shorter, slighter, and older. If in doubt, consult a physician or other professional!

Metabolisms slowing with age is a myth. You can manipulate your metabolism at any age. You can speed it up, slow it down , or completely destroy it. it all depends on your food intake and activity level.

Actually it's not a myth. Metabolism will slow with age no matter what you do. And for women, the hormonal changes of menopause can have a big impact. If you do everything right it won't slow much, though. But very few people do everything right. For most people, metabolism slows quite a bit with age.

The myth would be that you can completely destroy your metabolism (assuming we are only talking about the living).

Are you sure it's an actual decrease in metabolism or is it a decrease in activity which results in a decrease in TDEE? In my book, there's a difference.

ETA: And now I read further into the thread and see that it may actually be related to muscle mass...(which I guess is even more reason to work hard to build and maintain as we get older).
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    OK--due to so much insistence that noone should eat less than 1200 calories/day and the statement "you have to eat calories to lose calories, I increased my calories to 1200-1500/day and I HAVE BEEN GAINING WEIGHT!! Every one of the pounds I have loss has been a struggle. My intake has been 1000 calories/day--sometimes less--but rarely more. However since I have increased my exercise and effort and weight has come off no faster I decided to try increasing calories. In 2 weeks I have regained 5 pounds. It has never taken much food for me to maintain weight or to gain weight. Portions the rest of my family eats just packs on the pounds for me. I think it is true--some people can gain weight just looking at food and I am one of those people. So back to 1000 calories for me.

5lbs of what? it's just water, there is no way it can be fat, unless you ate 5x3500 = 17500 calories over maintenance.
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    You know, when they say increase your calories, they mean don't eat bad food, just eat more of good food.... that way you can eat more (literally) and not really be eating anything bad or with empty calories, like chips, candies, or sugar drinks. Just saying :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You know, when they say increase your calories, they mean don't eat bad food, just eat more of good food.... that way you can eat more (literally) and not really be eating anything bad or with empty calories, like chips, candies, or sugar drinks. Just saying :)

I'm a big proponent of generally eating healthy, nutrient-dense food because it's, well, healthier for us in general...

...but to this comment: No. Just no. No no no.
  • willwillywilson
    Options
    I am not saying that this will help you. But, I found I was gaining weight because of my carbs. My Fitness Plan recommended I eat 362 carbs a day. I was averaging 237 a day (difference of 125). I have now been averaging 55 to 65 carbs a day and I have lost 17 pounds since doing that.

I am not saying this will work for you. But, it is worth a try. Good luck :)

Glycogen. Water.

I've been doing the same thing (55-75ish grams) for 6ish months. I've lost 55lbs. I reallllllly doubt I've lost 55lbs of water. After the initial first week or so you're losing fat.
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options

I'm a big proponent of generally eating healthy, nutrient-dense food because it's, well, healthier for us in general...

What do you mean, no? I just said DONT eat bad food... I am wondering if you read it wrong?
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Your diary says you're actually eating about 700-800 calories.

Just because your goal is set to 1200 doesn't mean you're eating 1200.

Your body may be temporarily reacting to an increase in calories, but making positive change isn't successfully accomplished by doing it for two weeks, freaking the F out, then going back to starving yourself. I can gain almost 5lbs overnight by doing nothing. You really haven't given this change enough time (at least 4-6 weeks) to see a reasonable result. What you're seeing is a physical reaction to change, and the body usually reacts to any change in diet by retaining water.

I ruined my metabolism by doing what you're doing. Two years later, I'm finally getting to the point where I can eat like a normal human being. You can either eat way too little and then have at least two years of work to do on your metabolism, or you could start with a healthy calorie allocation now and not have to deal with this in the future. Guess which one I recommend
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I am getting so sick of these threads. How about this. Go talk to a doctor or/and a nutritionist/dietician and see what they say. I know what they will say because I've done my research. But obviously, you need to hear it from them that trying to eat a 1000 calorie diet (unless supervised by a doctor) is not good.
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I think your food measurements and/or your exercise (calories burned) must be off. Too loose 81lbs at that kind of calorie deficit I would think that your lean muscle % is very low. When you say exercise what is that?

I have been dieting since 3/26/2012. My food intake is measured/weighed and if calculations are off it is to the high side. My exercise now consists of 4 days a week following a Leslie Sansone 1 mile DVD using 3 pound hand weights and 6 days a week following a 2 mile Leslie Sansone DVD without weights. Both sessions cause me to sweat (I hate sweating), breathe hard (difficulty talking) and fast HR. I do not "eat back" the calories from exercise.I am 63, very sedentary, 5'2". Altho I was a skinny child (I hated food) and not overweight as a teenager, I have always hated exercise of any kind but I was an avid horseback rider and that kept the weight off. Once married and had kids weight was 180-220 pounds. It was the last 7 years where my weight steadily climbed until I hit a high of 310. My lowest weight was 229. Today I am 231--I have relost 3 pounds of the 5 pounds I gained after increasing calories. This is the first time I have regained lost weight altho there have been many slow spots and plateaus. "".I would think that your lean muscle % is very low"" --Agreed: Flabby with litlte muscle.
  • MIM49
    Options
    I am not saying that this will help you. But, I found I was gaining weight because of my carbs. My Fitness Plan recommended I eat 362 carbs a day. I was averaging 237 a day (difference of 125). I have now been averaging 55 to 65 carbs a day and I have lost 17 pounds since doing that.

I am trying changing my intake from Lean Cuisines (I like the controlled calories and portions) to "real" meat/poultry/fish and veggies
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Your diary says you're actually eating about 700-800 calories.

Just because your goal is set to 1200 doesn't mean you're eating 1200.

Your body may be temporarily reacting to an increase in calories, but making positive change isn't successfully accomplished by doing it for two weeks, freaking the F out, then going back to starving yourself. I can gain almost 5lbs overnight by doing nothing. You really haven't given this change enough time (at least 4-6 weeks) to see a reasonable result. What you're seeing is a physical reaction to change, and the body usually reacts to any change in diet by retaining water.

I ruined my metabolism by doing what you're doing. Two years later, I'm finally getting to the point where I can eat like a normal human being. You can either eat way too little and then have at least two years of work to do on your metabolism, or you could start with a healthy calorie allocation now and not have to deal with this in the future. Guess which one I recommend

Very well put.
  • MIM49
    Options
    1,000 calories is just not healthy...1,500 or above daily, moderate exercise, and patience...it WILL come off...hang in there, you can do it!!!!

Maybe--but I would like to lose the weight in what lifetime I might have left plus have a few years to enjoy it---LOL
  • MIM49
    Options

Agree--healthy, nutrient-dense better for you but basically a calorie is just a calorie
  • cstexas2012
    cstexas2012 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Glycogen. Water.

I've been doing the same thing (55-75ish grams) for 6ish months. I've lost 55lbs. I reallllllly doubt I've lost 55lbs of water. After the initial first week or so you're losing fat.

This seems like an intentionally ignorant comment. He's not saying all of his weight loss is due to water loss. He's saying that it's misleading when people are like LOW-CARB IS MAGICAL AS LONG AS YOU EAT LOW-CARB POUNDS WILL FALL OFF NO MATTER HOW MANY CALORIES.