let's hear it for maintainenance

Options

Replies

• _Tuyana_
    _Tuyana_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I switched to maintenance a few weeks back from 1200 cal net (I'm 158cm or 5'2") and the first 2 weeks were scary, because my weight shot up 1.5 kgs that I lost just before to get to my goal of 48 kgs. It took a lot a second-guessing and soul-searching (did I wreak my metabolism on 1200 cal, should I introduce extra calories gradually instead of going straight to my maintenance 1450 cal, was this gain just the water weight because I changed my carbs from 30-30% to 40%, etc. etc.), but the weight has settled about 0.5 kg above my goal weight. I took progress pics today and compared them to September when I started; even though I'm not at my goal weight, I'm happy with my progress.
    I usually exercise 6-7 times a week: lift weights 3-4 times a week (on stage 4 of NROLFW), the rest is cardio.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

this makes me want waffles.
    [/quote]

pass the maple syrple please? thanks:wink:
    [/quote]

Me too! EVERY TIME I see a post!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    8 years of maintenance here. I've gained a little weight but all muscle and it was weight I planned for...went from 105 to 112.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Lost 40lbs in the beginning of 2009
    Maintaining 135-138lbs for almost three years now. It started out difficult because I think my metabolism took some damage eating low-calorie for a few months, but it's easier now and I've increased my calorie limit. I don't log as much as I used to, or weigh myself as often, which for me is a great part of the process because obviously I don't want to have to count calories every day forever.

Maintaining is SO MUCH EASIER when you are actively maintaining your musculature by strength training (for me it's mostly boxing). An active person who makes regular exercise a part of their life is not going to fall off the wagon in terms of weight maintenance.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In to read later.

(Maintenance is hard. Gaining and losing is easy.)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    been maintaining/bulking/cutting per my whim for a while now.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was my 1 year anniversary of hitting my goal, and I have maintained my weight for the past year. I'm actually up a little bit, but that is because I have been adding some lean mass, so it's on purpose.

I hit my weight loss goal before I joined MFP, but it has been a great tool for maintenance, as I have found you need to pay even closer attention when maintaining and/or bulking. By logging my food, it makes me pay attention to what I'm eating as well as how much, and insures that I keep my macros inline as well.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Same as this guy... I lost nearly everything before MFP. Back-dated my numbers and have maintained for over year. I'll stop logging when it suits me, and then come back to it, if it creeps up.
  • floridapanthergirl
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you. You folks sound so up beat and overall pleased with what you have accomplished! And you don't make it sound so complicated! Yeah!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm on maintenance. When I joined mfp I was set at 1500 and it was too low, raised activity level and put me at 1600, raised it to the highest which put me at 1700. Decided to use a TDEE calculator and set it to 1800. I lost 4 pounds during my time on mfp, so raised it to 1900, then 1950. Now I go between 1950 and 2200 (more once in a while). I think during the summer months I will be leaning more towards the higher amount. I dance, do yoga, strength train. If I notice weight loss, I increase my calories. My fitness is continually improving. I should mention that I am petite (and mid thirties).
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    5 ft 10" 166 lbs, 44 years old and have been in maintenance for 6 weeks.

I lost a further 2 lb at my last weigh in, am due to weigh in officially on Monday, and I think my weight has settled (I have had the odd sneaky check on my gym's scales). On the advise of an MFP pal, I had slowly upped my daily calorie intake the nearer I got to goal, so I think that has made my tansition to maintenance go relatively smoothly (so far anyway).

I still work out a crazy amount, but I think I always will as I love exercise. Consequently I am eating between 2,500 - 2,800 calories a day. Life is sweet :smile:
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    5'8" 129 lbs 54 years old and have been maintaining for about 3 weeks... I set my lifetstyle to maintain and try to eat at least my calories before exercise...i eat out a lot so estimating calories is always dubious...

I want to be fitter with more lean toned muscle so while I feel great and enjoy wearing size 6 and 8 jeans... I want to run a consistent 10 minute mile and be able to take adult ballet classes.. So I like to think of my self as maintaining my weight but improving my fitness..
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    bump for reference
  • skillingsrobertj
    Options
    Bump...I'm still a bit away from maintenance, but looking forward to using idea's generated here.

Great topic..
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance! I have been maintaining since this summer. I have yet to find the perfect balance for my calories in/calories out...I am still perfecting that. Right now I am eating around 1500-1600 calories....maintaining at 130 and I am 5'8ish.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    5'3", 110 lbs., 47 yrs. old. I have been maintaining since Oct. 1, but I actually reached my goal in late July, just kept losing while I was learning how to maintain. Cut out a workout day during October because I'm training to walk a half marathon in February, so I work out 5 days per week, weights x3 and cardio x3 (both on Saturday). I eat between 1900 and 2300. My macros are set at 25p/30f/45c but I often go over on protein and fat. I have a BodyMedia Fit Link, so I have a pretty good idea what I'm burning and I try to eat pretty close to my TDEE every day.

ETA I'm about 20% body fat and would like to maintain that, too, or even reduce it by a little, but going to concentrate on that more after my half marathon.
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Love this post. I lost 35 lbs 2 years ago and was able to maintain for 6 months. I gained 20 lbs over 2 years or so. I am not looking forward to logging my food for the rest of my life. I obviously didn't do maintenance right the first time. I really plan on making changes for life. I hope that it will just be as easy as making good food choices, staying active and monitoring my weight and making adjustments as needed.
  • ourglasswalls
    ourglasswalls Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Love to check on this later. I was maintaining at 120 for awhile, and then a year ago fell off the maintenance train. I'm around 128 and still haven't been able to get back to my goal weight. But haven't given up hope!
  • Paulette0706
    Paulette0706 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am 45 years old, 5ft 2", weighing 123lbs

Really useful post, so good to hear so much good advice, about how to maintain after reaching goal. I'm about 4 to 5lbs away from my goal. So I have been thinking about maintenance. Seem to be fluctuating over the last couple of weeks. Planning to maintain over Christmas and then go back to trying to reach my goal after the holidays.

I run 3 times per week and lift weights 3/4 times per week. Just joined a new gym so started doing spinning classes once or twice per week.

Well done or all those who are maintaining! Thanks again for the post

:flowerforyou:
  • fitnwhole
    Options
    Love this thread. I see that a few of you didn't like the very low calorie restrictive diet (I'm assuming 1200). I'm 5'2 174lbs my goal is to lose 44lbs. Any tips or suggestions? How much was your calorie intake when you were losing? I'm strongly considering increasing my calories to 1500.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!