How do you control binge eating?

2»

Replies

• BrittKnee_Rae
    BrittKnee_Rae Posts: 111 Member
    I eat all day long!! I don't allow myself to get hungry because I will make bad choices!! So I eat my 3 healthy meals and snack on fruits and veggies Etc in between. So that way im always satisfied!! and plan out your meals for the day.. That helps a lot! Don't give yourself the option of choosing what your mind wants, do what your body needs. . YOU control what goes into your mouth!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    What's worked for me is focusing on nutrient dense foods that keeping me feeling full longer. I also eat throughout the day...it's more like 5 smaller meals than 3 meals per day. I'm also eating a lot more protein than I used to, which has replaced my previous high carb/high fat (not all good fats) diet. I'm taking the zone diet approach currently (40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fats) and it's working well for me. I'm also doing a 1 Lb per week deficit...anything more than that, and I'd be having those hunger pangs and would be binging all of the time.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Woah.
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    What has helped me keep from binging is to find something I can do to have the tastes I like, and still maintain my calories...

For example, I have two things that I used to binge on - soda (sometimes up to 10 to 15 twenty ounce bottles a day), and potato chips (you know that bag you get for $4.99 at the supermarket? The family size one? Yea, I'd eat one of those in about 40 minutes - something like 15 or so servings).

What I do for the soda is I allow myself one per day (two if it's just been really crappy - or I have to work a double, but always work off the extra one the next day in cardio). This keeps me from binging on the soda because I know that I will get it. There have actually been days I've gone without and was not a complete crab!

For the chips, I discovered I could get sliced almonds, roast them in my frying pan with a little clarified butter, salt them a little, and voila, a cup of them is the same amount of calories as one serving of those chips I loved so much, and tastes better! You can probably make them with different spices too if you like the spiced chips that taste like different things (Jalepeno, Ranch, etc...).

Hope this helped! Good luck!
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    I had this issue too. You can choose the right foods to eat to start with but you should also address why you are on a binge. Are you bored? Are you sad? etc..Once you figure this out you can tackle to binge at the source. Also, you have a relationship with food as we all do, so just like a man who would treat you poorly - break up with it! Break your bond to food, try to see it as fuel or energy for workouts and reconstruct the current relationship into a productive healthy one.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    nevermind.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    someone just binged on links....
  • Yani51
    Yani51 Posts: 48 Member
    What works for me......
    Avoid sugar (the refined stuff, not fruit). Soda, a bit of cake, chocolate, jam, etc stimulates my appetite.
    Keep occupied, mentally or physically. If I am idle my mind wants to know what is in the fridge or pantry.
    Exercise, going for a 30 - 60 minute power walk/run at the time of day that you are likely to binge will keep you on the rails.
    Increasing protein in my diet worked for me as it did for so many others who have mentioned it here.
    What works for you.... You have to try a few things and see what works for you.
    e.g. some say they eat many small meals throughout the day and it works for them. It doesn't work for me, but it may work for you and is worth a go.
    Main thing is don't give up just because you binged once in a while (or for any other reason).
    Be tenacious and eventually you will find your niche.