Dads: If your daughter wanted a toy truck?

Options
SideSteel
SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
Would you get one for her?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dad, but considering that my 4 year old daughter was Spiderman for Halloween this year, own 2 Avenger's Tshirts, plays with dinosaurs and superheros and owns Spiderman tennis shoes......and we just got done watching TMNT, I'd say "uh, yeah."

What's the deal with people freaking out over toys?

Edit to clarify that if I had a son who wanted a doll, he could have a doll. I have a nephew that loves the Pink Power Ranger. He plays house and babies with my daughter. They also like to play dress up.

And for the people who say "what if that makes him gay?" - I wonder how that is supposed to be insulting?
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Heck yes.
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    Options
    I'm not a dad, but If I had a child I would buy her a truck. I grew up playing with trucks and remote control cars/trucks.
  • betoarango
    betoarango Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yep... My daughter loves cars (among many other things) She has a firetruck a police car, a red ferrari convertible, a red mustang 65 convertible, a school bus and she piles her barbies and my star wars action figures into them. No harm there...She'll come home from Ballet and play cowboys and Indians (is that politically correct nowadays?), her favorite colors are pink and Ferrari red... Dont sweat it...:drinker:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dad (or even a man!) but yes, I would buy my daughter a truck, and my son a doll (as the other post mentioned) if they enjoyed those things.

The sad thing is, I feel that more people would say yes to this, than the son/doll thing. From my experience, people seem to have more of an issue with boys doing "girly" things, than girls doing "boyish" things, which is ridiculous IMO.
  • toomuchsleep
    Options
    What a weird double-standard.
    It's considered 'girly' and 'gay' if a little boy wants a doll to play with, but if something comes along and a girl wants a truck, then she's all cool and glorified for being manly.
    Pisses me off, that's all.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would, because then maybe my son would play with it instead of all the damn dolls I keep buying him.

(notsrs)
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I had toy trucks and cars. My barbies got to go for rides in army trucks ;) There's no problem at all with girls wanting to play with trucks!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Oh, I don't know. You might end up raising her to think for herself. To be able to determine her own interests and abilities. She might end up thinking that she is capable of doing anything she sets her mind to do. She might even pursue higher education, which I understand is a turn off to some men around here (not you). She might end up being the kind of woman who sets goals and acheives them as she hasn't been trained to listen to gender-related BS about "keep sweet" (which means, shut up I disagree with you and what are you doing thinking anyway). She might not put up with a man who wants to control her relationships and activities. She might be level-headed with a health sense of herself if you don't spend her whole childhood saying "now dear, you don't want that, that's for boys, here have an apron and pretend house cleaning tools".

That's some dangerous stuff, SS.
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I have three boys and one girl. She has no choice but to play with trucks!:heart:
  • KellyMirth
    Options
    OMG NO! Get my little princess a truck? Next thing you know she'll be wanting to wear plaid and cut down trees with an axe...

*just in case anyone thinks I'm serious, I don't have a daughter...but if I did, I still wouldn't buy her a truck. But I'd totally buy her the axe and the plaid shirt.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I know where this came from. hehe. But yes, my girls had dump trucks, tractors, etc. in their sandbox, played on 4 wheelers, shot guns AND played with baby dolls and makeup as they grew up. They are fine. :)
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    not a dad but yea, if it made her happy I don't think i would mind.
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Uh yeah, my one daughter that's old enough runs around in her fairy princess dress driving her 4x4 trucks all the time :smile: I don't get the big deal about toys, if your kid is happy and having fun, let them play!
  • no1canadianangel
    Options
    umm ya, why not? I dont understand why people freak about girls wanting boy toys and boys wanting girl toys... who cares!
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'd get her a truck and a tattoo
  • sahm23ladies
    sahm23ladies Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dad, but considering that my 4 year old daughter was Spiderman for Halloween this year, own 2 Avenger's Tshirts, plays with dinosaurs and superheros and owns Spiderman tennis shoes......and we just got done watching TMNT, I'd say "uh, yeah."

What's the deal with people freaking out over toys?

Edit to clarify that if I had a son who wanted a doll, he could have a doll. I have a nephew that loves the Pink Power Ranger. He plays house and babies with my daughter. They also like to play dress up.

And for the people who say "what if that makes him gay?" - I wonder how that is supposed to be insulting?

I couldn't agree more!

My daughter loved Go Diego Go when she was younger. Who cares? Let her play with whatever she wants. And that goes for boys too!
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Absolutley!!! Why wouldn't she?
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Get her a truck. What's she gonna pull a trailer full of ponies with? Oh, yeah, get her a trailer with ponies too :D
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Why not?