Does only water count as water?

Options
Hi friends,
This may seem like a silly question, but do you only count water as water in your cup counting on the food diary? I have had 5 cups of pure water today and then 3 cups of powerade zero. Should I count this as water or just as another liquid?

Thanks for your input.

Replies

• bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Everybody does this differently, but I think about it in terms of hydration. Caffeine is a diuretic, i.e. making you pee a lot and dehydrating, but some teas that are caffeine-free don't do this. I'd log the gatorade as water, but that's just me.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/814368-water-intake-does-tea-count-and-coffee?hl=water

Pages and pages of people's thoughts on what is water and what isn't water. A whole days reading on the subject.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that the diuretic effect is minimal. Your body can take the H2O in food and drink and use it for hydration.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Liquid is liquid is liquid. Even juicy fruits count as fluid intake. Soup counts. Milk counts. Coffee, tea, soda count (but don't make those your only source of fluids). Fruit, Fruit juices and Sports drinks count (and will actually help you retain more fluids because of the electrolytes).
  • gabbysabs
    Options
    Only water. Otherwise your body has to metabolize the other stuff you mix it with. Also, if you drink soda, you should add an oz of water for every oz of soda you drink. You can do it other ways, but you are only cheating yourself.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Also, if you drink soda, you should add an oz of water for every oz of soda you drink.

Why would that be the case?
  • biddy249
    biddy249 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I would not count sports drinks, carbonated beverages, tea, etc... toward your fluids, only pure water. I personally would stay away from all the above due to the sugar and empty calories they contain. When you drink pure water you have no hidden calories or additives to worry about.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/814368-water-intake-does-tea-count-and-coffee?hl=water

Pages and pages of people's thoughts on what is water and what isn't water. A whole days reading on the subject.
    ...and this thread's already headed that direction. Much of the same misinformation and dogma.

OP - your body draws hydration from just about any liquid you drink, the moisture content of the food you eat, etc. It doesn't have a separate compartment labeled "pure water only", nor does adding other ingredients to water "magically" make the water disappear or change into something else. It's still water and it still hydrates you.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    water is water(H20). anything that is not H2O is not water. water is a type of liquid. u dont need water to live u need liquid. ur body can break down most liquids and hydrate ur body. water is the best liquid for hydration.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I still don't understand the importance of logging water (except to make the virtual cup spill on the monitor).

ETA: That said, if I *was* logging water, I would log water as water. My body, however, may not make this same distinction.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Hi, it looks like you are new on here and I hope you get some constructive advice?

My opinion (and you can take it or leave it) it is just my opinion.

Water is in most of the foods you eat, but drinking fluids is much better.

Sometimes you can feel hungry, for me, mid morning going on lunch time and drinking some fluids helps (try to go sugar free, water is great)
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    water is water(H20). anything that is not H2O is not water. water is a type of liquid. u dont need water to live u need liquid. ur body can break down most liquids and hydrate ur body. water is the liquid for hydration.

Uh.... you need water to live. No other liquid hydrates you. Juices, coffee, and any other drink hydrate you because they're almost entirely water.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you drink enough that your pee is pale yellow, and you're fine.

(I generally only log water as water, but occasionally I add a propel zero packet to my water and will log it as water, but put the packet in as a snack. Like, maybe 2x/week.)
  • kazza2cats
    kazza2cats Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I add only pure water to the water cup and any other drinks to drinks.................Simples :drinker:
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    The whole water thing is sort of crazy. First of all, lots of fruits and veggies have water - it's real water so it counts for something. Just because you mix something with water to make some sort of juice doesn't make the water turn into something else. Tea is a good example. Tonight I am drinking a pot of green tea with my Chinese meal; it's about 4 cups. I think it counts. This mor5njing I had 3 cups of coffee. Some say it's a diuretic and therefore is doesn't count. To each his own.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    DeadHorse.gif

^^^^This.

Hydration does not have to be plain water
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    If I have my Earl Grey tea and have no milk in it then I will count that as part of my water intake. :)
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    IMO, only water counts as water!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    yes only water plain