Gun owner's

At what age have you "gun owners" taught your kids about kids about gun's? and have they shot one?

Replies

• clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,087 Member
    i didnt grow up with guns but my husband did. he started learning about gun safety at around 7, and shot his first gun when he was 10. his dad taught him to respect guns and how to handle them safely. i see no problem teaching kids about gun safety.
  • i didnt grow up with guns but my husband did. he started learning about gun safety at around 7, and shot his first gun when he was 10. his dad taught him to respect guns and how to handle them safely. i see no problem teaching kids about gun safety.

I agree, mine are 4, 4, 6 they are all learning as well
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    i have several guns,no children ,just guns.lol

but, i grew up with guns and from as long as i can remember they werent "put up" we had one by the door, there was one behind the recliner. and the rest was in my mom or grandma's room. we knew better not to touch them that we werent old enough and plus we woulda gotten tore up for touchin them anyway. i specifically remember being told," you never point a gun at people, not even play guns and that "guns are for protection incase a "bad guy" tried to come in the house and me "mean" to us." and when we were old enough we took hunter's safety course.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    At what age have you "gun owners" taught your kids about kids about gun's? and have they shot one?

Our maternal grandfather started teaching us how to clean his collection of guns and gun safety etc around 3 and 4years. A lot of repetition. Our dad gifted us with BB Guns@4years old. At the ages of 5 and 6 we started using real adult guns for hunting.

Your children are right on track ...:happy:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Gun safety should be taught from the moment the child is mobile. I think I was 5 the first time I fired a weapon, under close adult supervision and with enough safety talk beforehand that I was almost terrified to fire it. My oldest knows they are a very dangerous tool that only Mom and Dad operate in an emergency. The littlest is learning that you NEVER touch them. When she's older, we'll switch from NEVER to almost never, then eventually operation. If there's a gun in the house, they know it, but nothing in reach, and they won't know where.

Big believer in gun safes because accidents happen.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    I was put through safety training by my father starting at age 5 and was also taught how to shoot in connection with that. He drove gun safety into me so adamantly that I remember telling my paternal grandfather (who taught my dad the same thing) at 7 that I couldn't show him my .22 rifle because my dad wasn't around. I think they got a chuckle out of that for a long time. I started hunting at 12 after completing my Boy Scouts merit badge and the NRA hunter's safety course (which my dad required me to get a 100% on before he said I passed). My dad was a very gentle man but I remember the fear of god he put into me about guns. I really appreciate that training.

I've been living over seas in a no gun country for several years and just got back to the U.S. so we don't have any guns in our house right now. My oldest girl is now 7, is starting to ask about shooting, and this is reminding me its high time I get my butt in gear on this. I don't really care if she shoots. I just want her to know how to handle herself.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    My 8 and older kids are in 4H shooting club. My oldest 2 are the county air pistol champions. Our kids start shooting at around 7 (depends on the child and their responsibility level). They accompany us small game hunting around 9, big game hunting around 11. They are taught gun safety from the time they can crawl!
  • i grew up with guns and learned to shoot at age 12. i also have a son who shoots, we do have weapons in our home. i fully support NRA. GUNS DON' T KILL PEOPLE ,PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE!!
  • I love these... Keep them coming =D
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Gun Safety was taught when they got mobile, just as other things in the house were a look but dont touch. Both me and my husband were avid shooters so the boys were taken out around 5 or 6 to shoot. Once the curiosity factor is taken out they respect the power in them and know they are not for play. Friends of theirs were another story as they were forbidden and their curiosity was off the charts
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    My dad was a hunter when I growing up, so we always had guns in the house. He kept them in a locked safe, and I never knew where the key was until I passed a training course at our local gun club. I got drilled into me all the rules about guns and gun safety. Even after I knew where the key to the safe was, I was not allowed to open the safe unless I had permission and was supervised. And under no circumstances was I to open the safe to show my friends- the whooping I would've gotten for that. When we moved out of that house and into the condo, my dad gave all of his guns but one to a friend of his. I know where the one he kept is and I still remember how to use it. I just pray I never have to.
  • SanDiegoCasey
    SanDiegoCasey Posts: 130 Member
    All children should go through gun safety weather they have guns in the house or not, you never know where they are going to be..
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    I grew up in hunting family. We were taught gun safety the day my stepfather moved in and then further went to gun safety classes. We learned how not to use them first - and then we learned how to use them. We had shooting lessons and all that. I think we were around 10 or 11.

That said, I still don't like them. Would prefer to be as far away from them as I can be.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    I grew up with a father who hunted. There were guns in our house as far back as I can remember. I don't remember specifically when I was taught gun safety, it just always "was". I knew not to touch them unless I was told I could. I was taught how to shoot and most importantly rule of "don't point at anything you don't intend to shoot."
  • eratess
    eratess Posts: 19 Member
    I began learning when I was 5. My father always had several guns in the house, and believed I needed to know how to keep them... clean them... be safe with them... and use them if I needed to for hunting or protection. I believe every child needs to learn these things at a young age... respect of a weapon is important to understand.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    I've only been in a room with a gun twice in my life. Once was at a friends child's 16th birthday party. Just sitting on the counter loaded. We left that second. I know nothing. My child will hopefully never know anything either.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    But, just to be clear, I have no problem with people who legally have them. And I hope none of your offspring ever snap.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    i didnt grow up with guns but my husband did. he started learning about gun safety at around 7, and shot his first gun when he was 10. his dad taught him to respect guns and how to handle them safely. i see no problem teaching kids about gun safety.

I agree, mine are 4, 4, 6 they are all learning as well

shooting a gun at 10 I can see that...

but what does a 4 year old mean? is anyone saying a 4 year old can shoot a gun...or just learn about guns?
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    I was told I was taught gun safety around 2-3. That said I was 6 when I fired my first firearm. I have several and my kinds will go by off things I was taught. I also keep them locked u p of course, unless it's strapped to me (see photo in profile).
  • My kids know about how to and how to use them, I was grown up with no guns in the house hold. I was 14 raped with a gun pointed at my head by another man as this was happening. I want my children to know all dangers out there, and trying to get any info to think I am wrong of doing this.. I See a lot of your parent's were "hunters" which is pretty awesome, we are not hunter's and I myself am afraid of gun's, but it is "life now a day's and I do not want guns banned b/c of idiot today. alot of us like YOU know the proper usage of it.. ahhhh, I guess what I am saying is Yesterday scared the living poop out of me.. as well it did many others:cry:
This discussion has been closed.