Dads: If your daughter wanted a toy truck?

Options
12346»

Replies

• mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    My 7 year old daughter wants a chainsaw and a hunting rifle. I see no problem here.
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I think kids should have whatever toy they want, a truck for a girl or a doll for a boy won't guarentee anything other than the kid gets to use their imagination.

I grew up as one of two daughters to a very athletic military dad. I had trucks, cars, remote control army jeeps AND a trunk full of Barbie stuff. Heck Barbie rode around in the remote controlled Army jeep more often than her corvette, lol!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    If anyone says no to this they are not a nice person.
  • XxxFallenAngelxxX
    Options
    Yes you should, playing with trucks is an awesome experience. I honestly love to play with cars and trucks!

You should get her one!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I already have, and boxing gloves and she loves them

IMG_20120627_091212_zpsd04f7c2c.jpg

She's going to be able to kick my *kitten* someday, and I'm going to teach her how

LOVE THIS! She's a cutie!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    The only problem I have with kids playing with the gender-identified toys that they want are parents who won't buy girl toys for girls (dolls, pink Legos, sparkly stuff) because they think it's going to somehow hold them back in life. Nothing like telling a little girl there's something wrong with her for wanting girl toys. Same would apply for boys, but I don't know any parents who won't let boys play with boy toys. I actually know parents who think that anything with a princess on it will damage their girls' psyches.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    My sons were 5 and 4 when they asked to be signed up for ballet dance. Their older sister was already in one at the time. My husband was a bit unsure but he asked them why they wanted to be in dance class. They answered..."duh, their are lots of cute girls there!"
    God love 'em! LOL
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    My husband would take my daughter with him to the shop and she would help him work on cars and trucks, for christmas or holidays if she were to ask for a car she would have gotten a car. Just as my son would like to try her dresses on and twirl about to get the dress to fly out he would even play dolls with her and then go and try and fix something with tools on the side. They found joy in it and could appreciate what the other found enjoyable. I think that its great.
  • Blondie_05
    Options
    Heck I remember growing up & having Barbies & G.I. Joes instead of Ken dolls. My Dad is Army so maybe that's why but I just remember sharing them with my brothers. lol. :)
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    lol. I see what's going on here :tongue: haha anyway my nieces love cars, no problem buying them
  • SexyMidnight
    SexyMidnight Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Buy her that truck my little girl is 3 she asked for green boots transformers(bumble bee) spiderman and hello kitty!! what ever makes them happy!!
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    My daughter wants a firetruck for Christmas... you damn right she is getting one. Plus her Uncle (who is a firefighter) is going to take her for a ride on a real fire truck next time we visit.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY! Part of raising a strong confident person is supporting them as they work their way though life. And, helping them as they work at figuring out who they are and who they want to become.

AND, I would equally buy a doll for my Son if it was something he wanted.
  • mmkennedy30
    Options
    I am not a dad, but my hubby is right here. We encourage both girl toys and boy toys for our daughter. So what if a girl wants a truck...so what if a boy wants a barbie...it doesn't mean anything, except that they are a kid and kids like toys ;).
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Without hesitation. My 5 year old daughter loves cars and trucks as much as she loves barbies and legos. Why not? They have no real concept of traditional gender roles at that age anyway. Why enforce it through toy selection? =)
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    It is both sad and annoying that we gender toys. Bah.