your take on Ramen Noodles ??

Options

Replies

• funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Just had them 20 minutes ago. What's the big deal?
  • kittenbobitten
    kittenbobitten Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ramen and used to eat a lot of it. I would eat it for breakfast and snacks. It is a calorie budget killer (800 calories for one package) and the sodium is ridiculous. So, I would say in my opinion, unhealthy, although I love them.

I have replaced my ramen with homemade shirataki noodle soup any enjoy it almost as much. I also plan on trying kelp noodles and see what I think about those. :)
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Ramen use to be the bomb when i was a kid , Oh some 30 sumtin yrs ago :bigsmile:
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ramen and used to eat a lot of it. I would eat it for breakfast and snacks. It is a calorie budget killer (800 calories for one package) and the sodium is ridiculous. So, I would say in my opinion, unhealthy, although I love them.

I have replaced my ramen with homemade shirataki noodle soup any enjoy it almost as much. I also plan on trying kelp noodles and see what I think about those. :)

800 calories for one package? What kind of ramen are you eating??
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the noodles themselves, if you have some homemade or quality low sodium broth to use in place of the flavor packs.

That being said, I love 'em, even with the sodium bomb packs. Everything in moderation. Especially moderation. ;)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    In the early 1980s, I went with a group of friends to Big Bend Ntnl park. After descending the mountain after nearly freezing to death the night before and tracking through a brief snow on the mountain, we stopped at a campsite and opened up a packet of Ramen Noodles. It was probably the best meal I ever ate... For the first time in hours I felt warmth in my body... Healthy or not, it was mighty good on that mountainside. (I have not had any in years but whenever they are mentioned, my mind always goes back to that day in Big Bend)...
  • pinkbikergirl
    Options
    I've never been a fan, but my adult kids eat them. I remind them of the salt content, so now they make with half the packet of seasoning. My single son makes two packs of noodles with one pack of seasoning. My advice, everything in moderation!
  • daoc1972
    daoc1972 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bad. In one packet, it usually says there are two servings. Who the heck eats just half the packet?
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    They sure taste good, but the sodium is outa control! I wonder what the value is in just the noodles?

The noodles alone, I think, could easily count as a bread serving. Use them as a base and mix in veggies and other stuff. Ditch the seasoning packet, because it IS very high on the sodium.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering whether you mfp's consider Ramen noodles to be healthy or unhealthy??

Personally, I don't consider any individual food item to be inherently healthy or unhealthy. There are no bad foods, only bad diets. Your overall diet is what's important, making sure that your body has the nutrients it needs. Having said that, there are a LOT of foods that I would choose to eat instead for the calories, like a baked potato or mashed potatoes, or cookies, to name just a few. :flowerforyou:
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've eaten any Ramen noodles since I was a college student living in a dorm. That was 1976. I think it's good to outgrow teenager food.

I didn't realize that food had age restrictions on it... does that mean I now have to give up my PB&J sandwiches, chocolate chip cookies, and Tater Tots?? :frown:

To the OP: as a few people have said, no food is totally "unhealthy" by itself. It's all in how much you have, how often you have it, and how well you are eating the rest of the time. An occasional package of ramen noodles isn't going to "ruin" your day. Try it with half of the seasoning packet and toss in fresh veggies, and make sure to drink lots of water to help counteract the sodium.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've eaten any Ramen noodles since I was a college student living in a dorm. That was 1976. I think it's good to outgrow teenager food.

^^ I was going to say something to this effect as well. In college, Ramen was a staple. I used to do the "add hot water" cups of it. It fills your gut, but my taste buds have changed since then. There are a lot of things I ate as a teenager that I don't care to eat anymore. And there are a lot of things I enjoy eating now that you couldn't have paid me to eat as a kid. :laugh:
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Its fine for fun-sies every once in a while.

If you're going to eat ramen don't go for the boring stuff though.

Shin Ramyun+ asian veggies+ slice of a merican cheese (try it!) and poach an egg in it=delicious :)
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Not healthy. I think we don't need to explain it!
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Taste good....unhealthy...!! As with most stuff...sigh,lol!

hahaha I agree. Occaisionally I've had them, but usually adding an egg. Still not healthy, but I love em.
  • hhuesler
    Options
    Bad choice for something to eat, but all this talk about Ramen Noodles made me totally want some, so now I'm sitting here eating a bowl of Pork flavored ones. They're delicious, but I should have eaten something healthier.... that was 75% of my daily sodium.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize that food had age restrictions on it... does that mean I now have to give up my PB&J sandwiches..............................

BLASPHEMER!!!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Ramen noodles are a treat. You definitely don't want to eat them any more often than you would candy or desserts. They are yummy, but they have very little nutritional value beyond added calories.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I've never seen 800 calorie ramen.
  • wonderstruck91
    wonderstruck91 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I eat them on occasion. As others have said they're basically salty, empty calories ... but I don't believe in entirely cutting out foods that I enjoy just because they are unhealthy. As long as they aren't a daily staple in your diet or something, I say enjoy in moderation.