your take on Ramen Noodles ??

Options

Replies

• BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    unhealthy i would say (imo)
    if youre talking about the actual ramen noodle brands that come in little packs with the seasoning... first of all the sodium content is ridiculous. no veggies or fruits, 14 grams of fat and high carb

Ditto...better to use low/no sodium pasta and there is a great no sodium packet that comes in beef & chicken called Herb Ox...add a few veggies and some egg whites....mmmmmm...and much better for you.
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    I just eat them! they taste good if you add weenies to them! yum :)

All food is healthy because it gives your body fuel. just sayin!

Do not mean to disagree here but really? All food is healthy?

I googled "10 worst fast food meals to eat" and here is the list:
    10. Domino's Chicken Carbonara Breadbowl Pasta :
    1,480 calories
, 56 g fat (24 g saturated), 2,220 mg sodium
    9. McDonald’s Big Breakfast with Large Biscuit, Hotcakes, Margarine, and Syrup :
    1,370 calories, 64.5 g fat (21.5 g saturated)
, 2,335 mg sodium
, 49 g sugar
    8. KFC Half Spicy Crispy Chicken Meal with Macaroni and Cheese, Potato Wedges, and Biscuit:
    1,610 calories, 98 g fat (25.5 g saturated), 4,340 mg sodium
    7. Burger King Large Triple Whopper with Cheese Value Meal with Fries and Coke:
    2,110 calories, 104 g fat (35.5 g saturated, 2 g trans), 2,270 mg sodium
    6. Quiznos Tuna Melt (Large) with Cheetos:
    1,620 calories, 111 g fat (25 g saturated, 1.5 g trans), 2,070 mg sodium
    5. Wendy's Dave's Hot 'n Juicy 3/4 lb. Triple with Bacon with Small Fries and Small Coke :
    1,540 calories, 83 g fat (33 g saturated, 4 g trans) , 2,370 mg sodium
    4. Dairy Queen Chicken Strip Basket (6-piece w/Country Gravy) :
    1,370 calories, 57 g fat (8 g saturated, 0.5 g trans) , 3,650 mg sodium
    3. Hardee's Monster Biscuit Large Hash Rounds :
    1,170 calories, 79 g fat (22 g saturated), 2,800 mg sodium
    2. Long John Silver's Fish Combo Basket :
    830 calories , 46 g fat (11.5 g saturated, 12.5 g trans) , 2,040 mg sodium
    1. Carl's Jr. Double Guacamole Bacon Burger with Large Fries :
    1,530 calories, 95 g fat (28 g saturated fat), 3,240 mg sodium

Please find something healthy in that list.

I'm not syaing you should not indulge from time to time, I'm saying you should be careful when you give advice that is inaccurate.
  • HeatherTransformed
    HeatherTransformed Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The packet ones... not so much. The way Momofuku does them.... hell yes! David Chang is THE man! If I lived near NYC I would attempt to visit his restaurants daily. :heart:
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Too much sodium.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them. Too much sodium, and for the calories they are, they don't keep me full at all. Not worth it, IMO. I don't generally think of food in terms of "healthy" or "unhealthy", I just ask myself "a few hours from now, am I going to be happy I ate this?" If the answer is no, I make a better choice and find something else.
  • kittenbobitten
    kittenbobitten Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ramen and used to eat a lot of it. I would eat it for breakfast and snacks. It is a calorie budget killer (800 calories for one package) and the sodium is ridiculous. So, I would say in my opinion, unhealthy, although I love them.

I have replaced my ramen with homemade shirataki noodle soup any enjoy it almost as much. I also plan on trying kelp noodles and see what I think about those. :)

800 calories for one package? What kind of ramen are you eating??

Sorry, that was a type, it was supposed to say 400!! :)
  • Poetry_In_Pics
    Options
    The sodium is way too much... but you could always buy the packs and dress up the noodles in a healthier way (add veggies & use healthier seasonings) instead of using the flavor packs. :smile:
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I like the occasional ramen but after cooking it I dump out all the juice and mix in a little light ranch dressing instead. Gives it a nice kick. I don't like to eat it often because of the sodium levels and I hate waking up bloated but it sure is delicious once in a while.
  • lunarescape
    lunarescape Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has said, the sodium in them is outrageous. However, you can add veggies with them or there are some kinds that come in the little Styrofoam cups that have vegetables with them already. Everything in moderation. If you really like them (like I do) it's okay to have them once in a while, just like everything else.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    They recieve a 'D' grade from me. They're great for warming up on a cold day, but not much else.

Reiteration: High sodium content is what really kills them. When I ate them, I used to only use half the seasoning packet and throw an egg in to add some protein and real vitamins/minerals.

There are better foods, but I can understand if you turn to them because you're under a budget crunch.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    They're just a big salt lick. Blech!
  • samlankford
    Options
    I get in the mood for them every once in a blue moon... used to LOVE adding in a slice of ghost pepper to the water as it was heating up, then taking it out (i'm not crazy enough to actually eat it!) before adding the noodles and salt packet.. totally not healthy but sometimes it is darn good!!!
  • chellie47
    chellie47 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    IF I eat them. I add cheese and use only half or less of the seasoning packet!
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    they taste good with some canned tuna fish mixed in.
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    I LOVE ramen and used to eat a lot of it. I would eat it for breakfast and snacks. It is a calorie budget killer (800 calories for one package) and the sodium is ridiculous. So, I would say in my opinion, unhealthy, although I love them.

I have replaced my ramen with homemade shirataki noodle soup any enjoy it almost as much. I also plan on trying kelp noodles and see what I think about those. :)

800 calories for one package? What kind of ramen are you eating??

Sorry, that was a type, it was supposed to say 400!! :)
    Lol, nah it wasn't a typo. But you're like most people, who eats just one packet of those things? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Snookie2u
    Options
    Yummy but not worth the sodium. I get a hankering for noodles etc, have found those tofu noodles in the produce section to be really good. The name escapes me, but my daughter was buying them for her daughter that had wheat allergies and they are low cal, protein + and overall really good. They come in a see thru bag all cooked up. Putting it on my grocery list, can't remember the name. Look by the tofu, sprouts etc.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    Too much carbs and sodium
  • Timby1
    Timby1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Okay, the way we eat them...cook the noodles in plain water, drain them, then add whatever, whether it's a low sodium broth to make soup, or veggies and protein. Sometimes I shake a tiny amount of the seasoning packet on (the whole thing would be outrageously high in sodium), or sprinkle with garlic powder and other seasonings. Please also note that at least the Nissan Top Ramen block is actually a serving for two.
  • seabee78
    seabee78 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Throw away the flavor packet, add in your own spices, onions, mushrooms, some beef/pork and a beaten egg. Awesome, fast meal.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    The seasoning packet is the killer more than the noodles. I don't eat the noodles anymore due to the carbs in it, rather spend those carb calories elsewhere.