your take on Ramen Noodles ??

Options

Replies

• Maccbow
    Maccbow Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering whether you mfp's consider Ramen noodles to be healthy or unhealthy??

Just gonna say one word here: Poison.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    No idea what they are, unless they are like the really awful processed noodles you can get here in the UK...they smell bad and taste worse...homemade egg noodles, now there is a great, filling meal......mmm...mmm...
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I am eating Ramen right now because that is legitimately (and I'm not kidding when I say this) the only thing to eat in this house. Lots of sodium, but food none the less.
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Real ramen noodles are as healthy as any other noodle. Noodles are essentially flour, egg, water and salt and ramen noodles are no different (http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-REAL-Japanese-ramen-from-scratch/)

Now if you're talking about the packaged brick ramen, that's completely different. It's a package of "salt and styrofoam" (to quote my friend) and it tends to fall into my category of "food-like substances"... It bears little resemblance in ingredients and taste to actual ramen and can't really be compared.
  • nasoj007
    nasoj007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think the noodles themselves are OK, not super nutritious but not awful, its the package of powder that's the real devil. A serving of raman (half the pack) is 190 cal, 7g fat, 29 carbs, 1g fiber, 5g protein, 500mg sodium, 6-8% iron. Add some steamed broccoli, a touch of garlic infused olive oil some herbs/spices and you'd have a cheap somewhat healthy side (or main). They're not an ideal food but if you're on a real tight budget you can work with them to come up with some decent meals or sides... just throw away the flavour pack 99% of the time.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    the only unhealthy food is one eaten in excess.

this.

if you really like ramen once in a while, make it as per recipe and add in some veggies (spinach/carrots/peas/beans/etc.) and some lean meat or vegan product. It is really good and more filling and you will only need about half of it for a big bowl. I do it and love it!
  • willowdancer
    Options
    A sad, diet-wrecking part of my end of the month routine when I've run out of good food before I have money for another grocery run
  • dbrooks82
    dbrooks82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Having a very small budget, and 2 small children, i def eat them. However...due to the insane sodium content we always have a sandwich with it and manage to split one pack between 3 people. This way its not quite as bad but we can still enjoy them...cuz theyare quite yummy!! :happy:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with them aside from the sodium which you can cut it down by putting a quarter of the seasonings in. I like them for a quick meal and I will typically make them and mix them with veggies.
  • kittycatkay
    kittycatkay Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    They're basically salt and carbs in a package. I would recommend staying away from them, and eating spaghetti squash or whole wheat pasta instead :) they're better than sugar though, so maybe sometimes you could eat them as a "dessert" or before workout snack!
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I think you would be better off chugging ammonia than eating Ramen noodles. :sick:
  • YOUCANDOIT165
    YOUCANDOIT165 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Unhealthy, I love them. If I eat pack I add more water and eat 1/2 a pack. And drink two to four cups of water after.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Not a problem to me - I think they're foul! Enjoy them if YOU want to - you could always use just part of the flavouring sachet.
  • CinnamonKai
    CinnamonKai Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I haven't had Ramen in years. Once I became a vegetarian, I pretty much gave it up. I know there's the Oriental version, but... the sodium alone in one small packet is a killer. I (personally) just can't bring myself to do it. I know I can "just eat the noodles", etc, but.. I just can't bring myself to do it.

However, to each their own.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    My problem is they aren't filling and quite addictive. I used to be able to eat 3 cup of noodles in one sitting AS A KID.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    High in fat and sodium. If you're really craving some eat 1/3 of the package with just a little of the flavor packet and add your own veggies like peas, carrots, cabbage, etc. Not quite so bad that way.
  • EnderNC
    EnderNC Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Is the sodium in Ramen mainly from the seasoning? How much sodium do you ingest if you don't use seasoning?
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Unhealthy....the wax on the noodles stays in your system for like 7 days. for 1/2 a package its 190 calories...im sorry I would much rather spend 190 calories on something more nutritious and healthy for me. I used to live off them when I first moved out on my own cause it was easy lol. but I wont eat them now.
  • Fitburd
    Fitburd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    When you're cutting calories you are also cutting nutrients and cant afford to eat food that is devoid of goodness. IMO Noodles are nothing but carbs - a food which is the enemy for fat loss
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Unhealthy....the wax on the noodles stays in your system for like 7 days. for 1/2 a package its 190 calories...im sorry I would much rather spend 190 calories on something more nutritious and healthy for me. I used to live off them when I first moved out on my own cause it was easy lol. but I wont eat them now.

Wait... back up for a second. Where do you find this information about wax staying in your system for 7 days? Please provide evidence.

As for the OP's question, like everyone else says, it's a lot of carbs and sodium. That being said, it can make an easy, cheap meal when you're pressed for time.

For a family of 4, I'll cook 2 packets, add frozen mixed vegetables, beat 2 eggs and stir in to make ribbons, add a leftover lean protein (such as diced ham or shredded chicken) and use only 1 of the seasoning packets. My kids enjoy it, it helps use up leftovers, and it's healthier than the fast food options I could have used when pressed for time.