Smoker?

Options
124»

Replies

• LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    i did 2 or so packs a day..finally got fed up with it and just cold turkeyed it.... the faster it is out of ur system the better and in a couple weeks your done. u just have to want it... if u use any of those stupid aids that are out there..u dont want it bad enough. those things just keep u hooked.
  • nfrewin
    nfrewin Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    How do people actually get into smoking ever since the 90s it's pretty much common knowledge it's suicide...

If you don't have anything helpful to say then stay out of it
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Well, I had tried many times and gone back. I quit once for a year and a half, went back. Tried gum, patches, you name it. One day when I was DONE, I just quit. Was it easy..HELL NO! But I guess I was just done. A few things that worked for ME were knowing that I wasn't going to be a smoker forever and if I picked one up, the NEXT time I quit I'd just have to go through the crappy part at the beginning all over again..NO THANKS! I'd been through that enough. I wanted to make that time the last time. For some reason, and yes, this is weird....I would smell my hair when I got a craving! lol I'm fully admitting it was weird and I'm also admitting that it requires no explaination, you have to find what works for you. I guess because it had smelled yuck for so long from smoking that I discovered how good it smelled and for WHATEVER reason it helped! HAHAHA. I would also take a huge deep breath. That helped pass the craving a lot of times. Hey, if skipping 3 times yelling your name helps you quit then I say do it! LOL It doesn't have to make sense if it helps you somehow! lol
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    How do people actually get into smoking ever since the 90s it's pretty much common knowledge it's suicide...

Thank you! This was SO helpful.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    how about electronic cigarettes? these are amazing, its how i quit smoking
  • erikarobles
    erikarobles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hello, when I was ready to quit I used Wellbutrin. I quit after smoking on and off for 24 years. I would strongly suggest this to anyone who wants to quit. Good luck:)
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options

i would say fail on this..unless ..u actually quit... trading cigs for elec cigs is not quiting. my dad started with those stupid things.. lies to his gf and says he quit smoking and has his gullible gf thinking there safe. so he is puffen in the house all day long with that thing.. u are still getting the chemical nicoteen ur adicted too..and u do now completely use the chemical so what is not use is released in to the air when u exhale. which is just as bad as second hand smoke as far as the chemical goes... i can still taste it and smell it in the air.. my dad let that thing up in my car and about kicked his *kitten* to the curb.
  • fraser112
    Options
    I smoke every so often when i feel like it. Nothing is better than that post meal smoke but i will never understand addiction i could happily smoke 40 a day for a year then go cold turkey hell i even offerd to with an ex :laugh:

If you wana stop you will if you don't you wont will power has nothing to do with it.
  • Ladysquire
    Ladysquire Posts: 61 Member
    Options

i would say fail on this..unless ..u actually quit... trading cigs for elec cigs is not quiting. my dad started with those stupid things.. lies to his gf and says he quit smoking and has his gullible gf thinking there safe. so he is puffen in the house all day long with that thing.. u are still getting the chemical nicoteen ur adicted too..and u do now completely use the chemical so what is not use is released in to the air when u exhale. which is just as bad as second hand smoke as far as the chemical goes... i can still taste it and smell it in the air.. my dad let that thing up in my car and about kicked his *kitten* to the curb.

Electronic cigarette helped me to quit too. I used it for about a month or so and I was done. Haven't had one since.

I guess it depends on the person but I would recommend these.
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I traded smoking for exercise. :)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options

Its simple, when you are surrounded with smokers everyday especially if your parents and some siblings smoke then what can you expect?
  • nayeliscastellanos
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments. I bought the Allen Carr's book and I am on page 50+. I am excited to finish the book. I don't know but last night while reading it something just clicked and I didn't have not even one craving last night. I will finish the book and let you all know how it goes. Thanks for your support. Feel free to add me if youd like.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I hope it is as effective for you as it was for me.
  • aedavidson79
    aedavidson79 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It took me a few tries but I finally quit smoking back in 2005. I used the nicotine patches for about two or three months. The instruction on the box said not to do this but to wean myself down cheaply, I just would cut a patch in half when it was time to go down to a lower dose.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I smoked 1 1/2 packs a day for 10 years and one decided that "This is stupid~and it's expensive!". So I quit. That was it. 4 years ago and counting. Best thing I ever did.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    1 pack a day for 8 years... quit on December 23rd 2011.

Quit with Chantix..... made me temporarily clinically insane, but I did quit. :)
  • mowree
    mowree Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I was a pack-a-day smoker for 35 yrs. I first cut down on the amount of cigs I smoked within a day's time, then set a quit date. I have been smoke-free for 3 yrs this coming New Year's. One thing that helped...I got online and read tips from others who had successfully quit and applied as much of that information as I could to my own experience. My advice: prepare and arm yourself for the hardest times when you're going through the withdrawal phase.
    I don't regret quitting. I don't want to start back. I don't crave cigarettes. I initially gained a few pounds but have now lost that weight.

Good luck to you. It's good that you're wanting to quit. That's the first step.
  • mowree
    mowree Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oh....I forgot to say...I quit "cold turkey". I set short-term goals to ride out the 2-minute waves of withdrawal cravings each time they hit. And I refused to allow myself to "think" about it being better or nicer to have a cigarette. I didn't allow myself to have ANY negative thinking about what I was doing. Each day got easier. Finally, the day came when I didn't think about it at all.

You can do it.
  • nayeliscastellanos
    Options
    Thank you so much! Everyones helped here really was needed. Congratulations to all that have stopped. :)