Is it possible for a woman in their 30s

Options
13»

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It's certainly possible! Even if all you did was keep yourself from gaining any more weight in the next 2 years you've done yourself a service. Every pound down will make your life easier and longer. And really, you are not going to stop eating well and exercising when you do hit your goal weight, are you? No! So consider this a lifetime, life style change. If you do that, it doesn't matter how long it takes you to get there. From this day forward, you will eat better, watch your portions, move more and make the choices that lead to a healthier you. Eat now the way you'd need to eat to sustain your 120 pound self. Enjoy the foods you like in moderation. You don't need to starve yourself or work out until you drop from exhaustion.

Sorry, rambling above but it all comes out sometimes. :) Honestly, take it slowly at first so you don't get overwhelmed. Make small changes. Start by simply logging everything you eat and drink, I promise it will open your eyes. Add in some walking or your exercise videos. Keep making little changes: swap high calorie drinks for low calorie ones, eat some veggies instead of potato chips, have a salad instead of french fries... those kinds of things. Success breeds success, once you start seeing results you'll want to keep going.

ETA: If you're worried about age being a factor, I think it would only be harder the longer you wait. I certainly wish I'd started living the way I'm living now when I was in my 30s rather than waiting until my mid-40s. Do it now. You won't regret it. :smile:
  • robertlugg
    robertlugg Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Quick answer: yes

More long-winded advice (take only what you wish): I think the most likely reason that you might not reach your goal is if you stop trying. That is so easy to do. In my past, I've "tried too hard too fast". I know this is a bit counter, but if you all the sudden cut the calories you eat in half and go to the gym every day when you never went before, you may burn out...I always did. Here are my suggestions (again, take only what you find useful):
    1. Start logging your calories today. Don't do anything special (eat what you want and don't do any more exercise that you normally do). Log everything. Every little 20 calorie bit of candy. Everything. When I did that I found I was eating ALMOST DOUBLE what I was supposed to eat. Use this to put things into perspective.
    2. Set a goal not to eat more than your sustainable calories. In other words...don't try to lose weight, just get yourself to eating the number of calories to neither gain nor lose weight. This doesn't seem like a great goal...after all you want to lose weight. But you need to train yourself to eat/exercise properly at the correct balance...then focus on losing weight.
    3. Think of "ultimate dream" and "goals". They are different for me. My ultimate dream is to be in the "normal" BMI range. But, if you judge your success on perfection, that might be discouraging. Instead, set small, stretch goals. These are hard, yet achievable goals. For me, I target to lose and maintain a certain weight. I was 250 and targeted to get to 240. Once I made that and stabilized, I targeted 10 pounds less. Don't over-think this. Even though these goals are artificial, you will feel a sense of accomplishment in achieving them...and you should!
    4. Don't expect validation from others. People can act without thinking. They won't always recognize your successes and may even discourage you (even if not out of malice).
    5. Take a picture of yourself now, and measure yourself (using both a tape measure and a weight scale). Sometimes I found that I "got smaller" but didn't lose any weight. That's normal and you should be proud of that too! This will be embarrassing. Do it anyway :)
    6. Recognize that it will take time. It doesn't matter how slow it is, if you don't stop, you will be successful.

Best of luck.
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    It is most definitely possible!! I am 35 years old and have been obese since I was 20 and morbidly obese for at least 10 years. My starting weight was 280 and I have lost 110lbs to date (since March of this year) and have 40lbs more to go. Was it easy, NO. Did I work a certain program or follow a plan, NO. Do I count calories, NO. What did I do? Started believing in myself and dealing with my crap, for lack of a better word, counselling, YES. Eat a clean diet, mainly vegetarian, lots of dried beans, lentils, vegetables, bulgar, YES. Started moving my body, running, yoga, biking, hiking...YES! Finally, gratitude and self reflection each and every day, YES.
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I loved reading all the posts on this thread! I'll add my own: I'm 36 and started at 185 lbs. I'm doing a low-carb diet and did the couch to 5k program. I logged everything I put in my mouth. I had cheat days, I logged them too. Six months later I am 143 lbs. and in the healthy weight range. I don't think it matters what age you are as long as you eat at a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Also, there are wonderful people here on mfp to help support you and cheer you on. It really helps when you hit those lows that everyone hits at some point in their weight loss. Add me it you like, I'm on here everyday and my diary is open to my friends.
  • geekpryncess
    geekpryncess Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    and has been obese in her entire life to get ideal weight?

I'm 31, 5' 2 and 218 lbs. I am 90 lbs over from my ideal weight. last time I weight 55 kg (120 lbs) was when I was 9 year old. If I go with the weight loss rate of 1 lbs per week, I will need 2-2 and half year to lose all my extra pound.

I dont mind waiting 2 years or more, but I do admit I bit am afraid I will fall off wagon. 2 years is a long time. and some people even say it's impossible to be slim if you're already in your 30s.

I sure hope so! I am 35, my highest weight was 217, I am currently around 192, and my goal is 125. I have lost weight two times before in my adult life, both times about 50ish pounds. I didn't keep it off either time because I had no plan for maintenance. I got to a size I was happy with, and then fell back into old (bad) habits. I know I can lose the weight, and this time am not going to stop at 150's...going for 120's and my plan is to continue logging for a long as I have to, probably rest of my life. I don't want to ever be near 200 again. Life is too short to be unhappy with how you look when there is nothing stopping you from change besides yourself.

My mom is 55, has been obese her entire life, even as a child. She was 275 and lost 140 lbs, and is now in the 130's and is SLIM. If she can do it, we can do it. She is the reason I KNOW I can do it, in my 30's!! And you can too! Don't listen to anybody say something is impossible. Unless it's a doctor giving a medical diagnosis, even then I'd get a second opinion!
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Ummm, yeah. I am 35 have been battling my weight since I was 10 or 12. I started Sparkpeople in February of 2007 and MFP shortly after at 272 and am now at 193. It is entirely possible!!!
  • geekpryncess
    geekpryncess Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    When I get discouraged or frustrated by "how long it's taking", I remind myself this: "The difference between my body this week and next week, is what I do for the next seven days to achieve my goals."

It's a short phrase, but packs so much motivation and meaning. It is what is keeping me on track through this holiday season.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    and has been obese in her entire life to get ideal weight?

I'm 31, 5' 2 and 218 lbs. I am 90 lbs over from my ideal weight. last time I weight 55 kg (120 lbs) was when I was 9 year old. If I go with the weight loss rate of 1 lbs per week, I will need 2-2 and half year to lose all my extra pound.

I dont mind waiting 2 years or more, but I do admit I bit am afraid I will fall off wagon. 2 years is a long time. and some people even say it's impossible to be slim if you're already in your 30s.

I am 35 and have had 2 kids. I was overweight as a teenager and until I went to university, lost loads and got down to a US size 6/8, put some on when I was around 26, lost weight when I was 30 and got engaged, put it on in my 1st pregnancy, lost it, then put it on in my 2nd pregnancy. My youngest is now 19 months old and I'm in a US size 8 mainly now, so very nearly as small as I was at age 24. My aim is to be a size 6 (I live in the UK so that's a 10 here) although I'd be happy to be a small size 8. I just mainly need to lose my belly now which is the last part to go.

I'm 5'6",my lowest weight at age 25 was 147lbs, and my highest recent weight last July was 220lbs. I am now at 164lbs, aiming for around 150.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    You CAN do it! I'm 41 and joined MFP on 28th August this year, already 24 pounds lost! You just have to set your mind to it to begin with, then it's like a light going on in your mind, it just clicks. Make sensible food choices and start by moving around a bit more - I started with a 30 minute walk in my lunch break, nothing more scary to start with. YOU CAN DO IT!

Add me as a friend if you want, I'm on every day and like to offer support and encouragement.

I only can start by Leslie Sansone 1 mile. It's a very small step. A baby step in a big and long journey. But at the moment am not able yet to exercise more that that. hopefully after one week I can step up to 2 miles, 3 miles, then 4 and 5 miles. I give myself time 4 months to finish Leslie Sansone, then after that I'll move to more challenging exercise
    I think you will be surprised how quickly you can move up with walking and how well it works. You look like a teenager by the way. lol