How much $$$$ have you saved by dieting

Options

Replies

• RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    HA ha. Saved??? Goodness no, not a cent. However, it's money very well spent and I dont regret or feel bad about it. :happy:
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I think we've actually spent more on food because the processed stuff is so much cheaper...We've actually had to choose processed stuff that's not as high in calories because we can't afford produce or whole foods...it generally spoils within 24 to 48 hours when we buy it :(...
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    My wife and I are in this together, so while we still eat out, it is not nearly as much. We plan to go to Florida for a week in June. It won't pay for the trip, but it will pay for the new smaller and more revealing swimsuits we can each proudly wear that month.
  • kokoforskinny
    kokoforskinny Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think my bill has kind of stayed the same. I have noticed that I am eating alot more frozen veggies and fruit than fresh. It just lasts longer and I have to figure out where to save the money. Being I am the only one working right now. I wish it was Summer time though. Love the fresh fruit and veggies from the market. :)
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I spend more money eating healthy then I ever did eating junk food.

^ This
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    HA ha. Saved??? Goodness no, not a cent. However, it's money very well spent and I dont regret or feel bad about it. :happy:

^ This too.
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I spend more money eating healthy then I ever did eating junk food.

you and me both
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    Where I saved was the cost of eating out. My husband and I were ALWAYS under and couldn't figure out with two full time jobs why we were not even able to cover basics. Well in February of this year I tracked every cent spent and we figured out that we had spent over 320.00 in outside food costs from restaurants and quick grab deli items. Not only was this stalling weight loss but hurting our budget. We decided to make a goal to eat healthier and only eat out twice a month and wow it is amazing how much more money is in our pocket. Not only do I feel better but only allowing twice a month (Sometimes it is more but we keep it pretty locked down) we choose good, healthy options rather than go to the all you can eat buffet with the generic food.

I don't see the cost of healthy groceries costing me more than I was spending, I am just recycling the money to healthy items rather than chips/cookies/frozen meals. I look for deals and stick to what I know about shopping. The food lasts a lot longer than the junk so I believe in the long run I am saving more money than I know :)
  • Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It is more expensive to "diet" than not. I spend the same if not more on more healthy foods. I'm much more picky now with what I buy vs if I just ate crap I could just eat crap.

But I spend more because I don't eat things out of a can, I don't buy prepackaged lunch meats or cheese. I'm addicted to my local grocery's deli counter. The salads (no dressing) and meat selection is lovely.

Also, because I eat more frequently I buy more food.

So, no savings here. But I get a reduction on my medical costs through my employer because I eat healthy and workout, so it might break even.
  • Taimarra
    Options
    Extra money?? hehe I wish I had some of that!! I'm spending money every month on a gym membership ... and the more I go to the gym, the more my 25 year old football playing, wrestling, crazy high metabolizing, black pit stomach of a boyfriend goes to the gym. The more he goes to the gym, the more hungry he gets. He was almost impossible to feed before I started making these changes. He eats two or three times as much now! I'm spending more money on food lately than I ever did before. I also eat more now, but my choices are simply healthier than they were a year ago. So now that every adult in our family eats more, and we have less leftovers, and have to actually cook a different dinner every night (rather than every other or every 3 nights) .. all my extra money goes to buying fruits, veggies, and canning supplies so I can start canning my own home made, healthy, organic sauces.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no idea. I buy fish & chicken only when it's on sale & my meat has always been free my entire life. Fresh produce can be pricey but I look for sales & only get stuff that's in season. Frozen veggies don't seem too expensive.
    My biggest savings has been shopping smarter and seeing which stores have the best prices for what I want.
  • NODAK1979
    Options
    SAVED money?? I'm spending more money now. Not only because of a gym membership, but because buying a lot of fresh produce isn't exactly cheap. You know what's cheap?? Mac and Cheese. Ramen noodles. Soup.

However, I really don't mind spending more money. It's fine, it's for a good reason. But I really only wish I was saving money.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I made very few dietary changes to lose weight so our food budget didn't change much. And since I purchased new clothes, expensive running shoes and some fairly pricey exercise DVDs, it might seem like staying it cost me more money than when I was heavier. But when I compare my health costs to those of others my age, I'd say eating heatlhy and keeping fit has definitely saved me a lot of money over the years.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've never tracked it but I think it's just about evened out. What I used to spend on breakfast, lunch and snacks at the drive-thru or in the cafe at work are now spent on more healthy foods.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have any "savings" that are measurable. Groceries are expensive, and I really haven't changed what I buy now compared to what I was buying before - it's been more about portion control.

Having said that though, even though my portions at a single sitting are smaller, overall we are wasting less food as a family. All of fresh produce gets eaten before it spoils which is great - there have been times when I would find that one forgotten zucchini, or the bag of mushrooms that got pushed around the fridge.
  • tealbubbles
    tealbubbles Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have found a huge difference!! By watching what I am eating, I am planning my meals ahead more, which means less impulse buys that sometimes ended up being thrown out or given away from not eating it in time. Also, with my crazy schedule I ate WAY too much fast-food. But I quickly learned how unhealthy the stuff I was eating is, and when I stopped, I very quickly noticed the change in my bank account :)

Congratulations on the extra vacation from your savings! Very exciting!! What a great reward for your hard work!
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat out a lot before and processed foods cost a lot less than fresh so I've spent quite a bit more since changing what we're eating, but it's worth every penny.

And yes, the cost of a new wardrobe has NOT been cheap either.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I haven't really tracked it but I'd guess my saving are minimal if any. My boyfriend moved in with me a few months after I started MFP which doubled the food budget (at least) so it's hard to say. I ate fairly healthy before so am now more concerned with portion size (which subtracts cost) and variety of food (which adds some.) I didn't eat out very often before but I am doing it less now. I don't eat a lot of meat but try to buy grass-fed and local meats. I think I have saved some from boozing less. I am about to that point where I really need to buy a new wardrobe as the saggy, wearing-older-sisters-clothes look isn't cutting it at work. I should be able to start on that at the post-holiday sales with my Christmas bonus, but it will cost a lot.
  • jessicalynn75
    jessicalynn75 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Buying new clothes every few months cost me...
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm actually eating a lot more now. Our grocery budget has nearly doubled. I used to "live" off mountain dew and 1 meal a day. So that really sucks, but it's worth it